Selling Stock Is Much Harder Than It Should Be šŸ¤”šŸ‘ŽšŸ¼

Overpaid Union Thug

Last time I sold any stock, a little less than 10 years ago I believe, it was amazingly simple and I was able to do it on my phone and within minutes. And I only had about 16 shares. Now I want to sell 8 (or transfer them to a brokerage account) and have to fill out forms that also have to be notarized. Then mail them off either through snail mail or UPS next Day air.

I just got off the phone with Computershare to see if there was a quicker way and the rep said this was how UPS wanted it now. What a bunch of BS. Iā€™ve already shut off contributions and canā€™t wait to get whatā€™s left of it moved out of their hands. Which will take a while. The 5% discount is not worth this hassle. Leave it to UPS to completely screwed up a good thing.

robot

Has A Large Member
Oof! That does sound like a pain in the ass. Yeah last time I sold was 10 years ago myself and it was all online.

satellitedriver

Just went to the website to check my account. Hit the sell button and I was instantly asked if I wanted it direct deposited into my bank account or a check mailed to me. No phone call/paperwork needed.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Just went to the website to check my account. Hit the sell button and I was instantly asked if I wanted it direct deposited into my bank account or a check mailed to me. No phone call/paperwork needed.
Do you have 100 or more shares that you've held for over 2 years?

ManInBrown

If you have 100 available shares to sell, all you have to do is log onto your account and click sell. Itā€™s done. If you have less than 100 you have to jump thru hoops. And then you never know what price youā€™ll get because it takes 5-7 business days to process. I just sold some but didnā€™t have 100 available. After I sold I opted out of buying. The discount isnā€™t even that great. Iā€™d rather put the money in my 401k. If it was a 10% discount I wouldā€˜ve kept buying. 5% is peanuts. Itā€™s not even worth it. In total when all my shares clear the 18 months Iā€™ll have about 120. Iā€™ll just hold onto them. At least if I decide to sell I donā€™t have to jump thru hoops again.

satellitedriver

If you have 100 available shares to sell, all you have to do is log onto your account and click sell. Itā€™s done. If you have less than 100 you have to jump thru hoops. And then you never know what price youā€™ll get because it takes 5-7 business days to process. I just sold some but didnā€™t have 100 available. After I sold I opted out of buying. The discount isnā€™t even that great. Iā€™d rather put the money in my 401k. If it was a 10% discount I wouldā€˜ve kept buying. 5% is peanuts. Itā€™s not even worth it. In total when all my shares clear the 18 months Iā€™ll have about 120. Iā€™ll just hold onto them. At least if I decide to sell I donā€™t have to jump thru hoops again.
I only bought the discount stock because I had already maxed out my 401k and IRA contributions.
Better dividend returns than a bank rate CD. Dripped my dividend into new stock purchase.
Never did I consider that my purchase would be a part of my retirement portfolio.
That was going to be my play money when I retired, and that plan paid off.