Selling stock question.

65Goat

I am thinking about selling some of my stock. The website states that you need to make sure the window is open if you are in trading group 2, 3, or 4. I was wondering if any of you guys or girls have any insight into this area. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

705red

Browncafe Steward
You can sell your shares when the market is open. If you go on anytime today or any other day when the market is open it will conyinue with the sale of your shares. You do have to have at least 100 shares to sell this way and none of the shares can be purchased over the last 2 years if im correct.

You can sell your shares when the market is open. If you go on anytime today or any other day when the market is open it will conyinue with the sale of your shares. You do have to have at least 100 shares to sell this way and none of the shares can be purchased over the last 2 years if im correct.

Do you know what price they sell at? Market open, market close, or the time you put in for the transaction?

FAVREFAN

You must really need the money to be selling at these low numbers. I'd hold out for upper 60's in the next 12 months.

D

Dis-organized Labor

I am thinking about selling some of my stock. The website states that you need to make sure the window is open if you are in trading group 2, 3, or 4. I was wondering if any of you guys or girls have any insight into this area. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Unless you're a level 18 or greater, the trading window probably does not apply to ou.

Honestly,if you have these kind of questions should you be trading stock in the first place,at least outside of a broker?

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
Presumably you know what trading group you are in. As others have said, group 2 is generally division managers and above, unless you happen to be a grunt in the strategic accounting/marketing forecasting department, and thus privy to 'material, non-public information'. Seriously, you should know if you are in group 2, 3, or 4. If you don't know, ask your boss. Failing to abide by this rule is a good way to get nailed for 'insider trading'. Ask Martha Stewart.

dillweed

Don't fear the sale! I needed some cash a few years ago and sold some.
There's a phone # on your statements. Call it and they will patiently walk you through the deal. They will even explain it again if you need to call back. I had to call twice to get it right.

You'll have to transfer from class A to class B or the other way around, I forget. Then there's a separate deal for selling the shares. It seems hellishly complicated at first but again, they will help you along.

Be sure to make hard copies of everything, including price you paid and the dates. That history is on the website. When you do taxes next year you'll need all that info to indicate gain or loss. If you have trouble with that, call them!

No shame in not knowing how to do this or exactly what you have. Most of us are pkg handlers, not accountants. Just use that number, let them help you and use your money as you need. dw

beatupbrown

I am a big believer in Dave Ramsey fan I would save A small percentage of my wages tell I am debt free. I sold my UPS stock at$ 75.00paid off house it was kind of forced too. I see it is $57.41.Once you get your house paid off it is like a new freedom. if I was making UPS wages still I would have a nice retirement fund !Pay off all debt yes I would sell my UPS stock mark that money credit cards and work up to the last thing pay off house!

ups79

Confused to capital gains/loss. Most non management stock was purchased with investment earnings from the thrift plan. The thrift plan earnings just liked the stock earnings would be considered similiar to an ira(meaning taxable when withdrawn as income earnings). The price paid and price sold for has nothing to do with it being taxed. The stock can be sold and transfered to a traditional ira at any institution. Once you reach the age of 59 1/2 you may draw on that ira and only have to pay tax on the withdrawn amount as income. The only part that would be subject to capitol gains/loss, would be the stock purchased separately by money you have already been taxed on.

If you happen to still be buying stock through ESPP. Watch out for the wash sale rule.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you happen to still be buying stock through ESPP. Watch out for the wash sale rule.

A wash sale (not to be confused with a wash trade) is a sale of a security (stock, bonds, options) at a loss and repurchasing the same or substantially identical stock soon afterwards. The idea is to make an unrealised loss claimable as a tax deduction, by offsetting against other capital gains in the current or future tax years. The security is repurchased in the hope that it will recover its previous value.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I believe it is 30 days.

A wash sale (not to be confused with a wash trade) is a sale of a security (stock, bonds, options) at a loss and repurchasing the same or substantially identical stock soon afterwards. The idea is to make an unrealised loss claimable as a tax deduction, by offsetting against other capital gains in the current or future tax years. The security is repurchased in the hope that it will recover its previous value.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I believe it is 30 days.

Yes 31 days and you are good. Not sure what a wash trade is though. To me a wash trade would be a wash sale.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A wash trade (not to be confused with a wash sale) is an illegal form of stock manipulation in which an investor simultaneously sells and buys shares in order to artificially increase trading volume and thus the stock price.

The United States Security and Exchange Commission defines a wash trade as "a securities transaction which involves no change in the beneficial ownership of the security."

A wash trade (not to be confused with a wash sale) is an illegal form of stock manipulation in which an investor simultaneously sells and buys shares in order to artificially increase trading volume and thus the stock price.

The United States Security and Exchange Commission defines a wash trade as "a securities transaction which involves no change in the beneficial ownership of the security."

Don't have to worry about any investor wash trades in UPS stock.

Last edited: