Sending workers home regularly

JackOfClubs

PT Bureaucrat
I'm a relatively new PT sup. One thing that my FT sup does that bothers me is that, most every day, he sends a handful of hourly employees home once the 22.3 employees arrive. He claims that it's because we "don't have work for them".

However, my work area often needs help when the volume gets heavy and the tilt tray (I work in Smalls, if any of you are familiar with those) shuts off.

I once told him I don't like that we send so many people home because it leaves my people overworked and stretched too thin, and he went ballistic on me. Pretty much every hourly I've talked to about it agrees with me, and say my FT I'd trying to maximize our numbers with as few people as possible (apparently, his bonus depends on it.)

Lastly, the ones who always go home are the kind of people who give unions a bad name* (I have seen adults throw tantrums when I asked them to do a simple task).

Does anyone else see this, and do you agree/disagree with it?

*disclaimer: I know many union employees are good, honest, hard-working people.

By The Book

Lastly, the ones who always go home are the kind of people who give unions a bad name* (I have seen adults throw tantrums when I asked them to do a simple task).
I think your issue is with staffing not who your boss sends home. Your just padding your resume with this observation.

anHOURover

I'm a relatively new PT sup. One thing that my FT sup does that bothers me is that, most every day, he sends a handful of hourly employees home once the 22.3 employees arrive. He claims that it's because we "don't have work for them".

However, my work area often needs help when the volume gets heavy and the tilt tray (I work in Smalls, if any of you are familiar with those) shuts off.

I once told him I don't like that we send so many people home because it leaves my people overworked and stretched too thin, and he went ballistic on me. Pretty much every hourly I've talked to about it agrees with me, and say my FT I'd trying to maximize our numbers with as few people as possible (apparently, his bonus depends on it.)

Quit as soon as you can.
It's a dead end job.
You'll thank me later
FACT

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Does a guy they call little Hitler still run the hub there

UPSGUY72

Welcome to management.

However, I find it hard to believe you tell people to go home and the union doesn't do anything. I would think it would be your told to ask people if they want to leave and they say yes.

Any business is all about numbers, those business that don't continue to worry about number go out of business...

KOG72

I’m full of it
Welcome to management.

However, I find it hard to believe you tell people to go home and the union doesn't do anything. I would think it would be your told to ask people if they want to leave and they say yes.

Any business is all about numbers, those business that don't continue to worry about number go out of business...
Hi

JackOfClubs

PT Bureaucrat
Welcome to management.

Well yeah, that's what I meant.

Of course, I'm still young, naive, and idealistic. I look at some of these people's hours and think, "how do they make a living?"

km3

If you're performing work, you could always encourage your employees to grieve you for it. They might start letting you keep more people if they have to keep paying grievances out.

km3

A supe soliciting grievances
Don't see that ending well for him

Maybe, maybe not. I have a sup who will work if the job wouldn't get done otherwise, but afterwards he'll fill out the grievance form himself and take it to the steward. He hates doing our work that much.

He's been around for a while, though, so I don't know if they take into account his years of service. In any case, he's the only supervisor that gets the help he says he needs when he asks. They know better than to take his people away.