Seniority and bumping as a Swing Driver

8000Shelf

I'm a swing driver that is occasionally not scheduled to work but l have seniority on most the swing drivers scheduled. I also typically have area knowlege on many of the routes that are in.
What are my rights as far as bumping on?

I'm currently told by my mgmt l have to bump to the very bottom guy working (most likely meaning l run the route blind) or go home.
I can't find any specific language in the contract to address this situation

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I'm currently told by my mgmt l have to bump to the very bottom guy working (most likely meaning l run the route blind) or go home.
I can't find any specific language in the contract to address this situation
So what's the problem? You have the right to bump even if it means running a route blind. If you really wanted to work, it sounds like it is there for you and you would not have to go home.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
In my old center, it was common among the cover drivers, to bump anyone with less seniority, that wasn't a bid driver. It's called "preferential work assignment." The only caveat is, you can't bump someone without area knowledge onto whatever route you're bumping off of to trade.

You'd need to check with your steward or BA just to be sure it applies the same way in your area though.

scooby0048

@8000Shelf, I don't quite get the optimistic rating as I'm not the one getting laid off hoping to work. You said you occasionally are not scheduled to work but you are senior to other drivers. The work is there if you want it even if it means going out blind. Whats the problem? There should be no reason why you are laid off unless you choose to accept it.

What's the real question then?

8000Shelf

@8000Shelf, I don't quite get the optimistic rating as I'm not the one getting laid off hoping to work. You said you occasionally are not scheduled to work but you are senior to other drivers. The work is there if you want it even if it means going out blind. Whats the problem? There should be no reason why you are laid off unless you choose to accept it.

What's the real question then?
Did I say I was laid off? Settle down

Last edited:

scooby0048

Did I say I was laid off? Settle down
I'm a swing driver that is occasionally not scheduled to work

My mistake, you are right, did not specifically say laid off.

Hard to believe, but I was actually trying to answer you but your post but it is confusing. So, again I ask, what is really the question?

Oh, wait...Are you wanting to know if you can bump someone off of a better route rather than run a route you would have to run blind? You can bump the person and anyone below you if they were scheduled to work and you were not. Reading your post makes it sounds like you choose not to work and if that is the case, you give up your right to bump anyone. That's about the most settled down you're gonna get from me.

8000Shelf

According to my mgmt. I can only bump onto the very bottom seniority driver's route scheduled that day... in other words if mgmt chooses for whatever reason not to schedule me to work on any given day, my only option is to take the very bottom guys work.
Yes, going out blind is better than going home.
That said, I'm wondering if there is language in the contract that addresses this scenario. If there is I'm not finding it (in the central)

Last edited:

dupa

On-Road Integrated Optimization and Navigation.
My understanding is the cover list is posted Thur. Seniority rules, you sign the list for a certain run its your for the week, you start is set, route is yours, you cant lose it that week.
Now everyone else (covers) that did not sign the list are assigned as needed.
So you come in Monday, without an assigned route the senior cover can bump any other cover THAT DID NOT SIGN THE COVER LIST

8000Shelf

My understanding is the cover list is posted Thur. Seniority rules, you sign the list for a certain run its your for the week, you start is set, route is yours, you cant lose it that week.
Now everyone else (covers) that did not sign the list are assigned as needed.
So you come in Monday, without an assigned route the senior cover can bump any other cover THAT DID NOT SIGN THE COVER LIST
We only have 3 "bid coverage" swing drivers in my center. In their case, what you are stating is true to my knowledge as well.
I'm referring to a non bid swing driver not being assigned a route (despite having seniority on most other non bid swing drivers assigned on a route that day), looking for work and being told I have no ability to bump anyone but the very bottom guy working that day...
the reason I'm posting this thread is I have a feeling that is BS and I'm trying to find the contract language that states it is...

Last edited:

Is a swing driver the same as a cover driver? Been a cover driver over 20 years. Mgmt must layoff from bottom of seniority list here. Even if it happens to be a bid driver.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
We only have 3 "bid coverage" swing drivers in my center. In their case, what you are stating is true to my knowledge as well.
I'm referring to a non bid swing driver not being assigned a route (despite having seniority on most other non bid swing drivers assigned on a route that day), looking for work and being told I have no ability to bump anyone but the very bottom guy working that day...
the reason I'm posting this thread is I have a feeling that is BS and I'm trying to find the contract language that states it is...

Article three of the central outlines your rights for senority

8000Shelf

Is a swing driver the same as a cover driver? Been a cover driver over 20 years. Mgmt must layoff from bottom of seniority list here. Even if it happens to be a bid driver.
Technically the same thing l think.
So let's say you didn't bid a coverage route for a given week. You walk in Monday and you're not on the schedule, but plenty of other coverage drivers are with less seniority. Do you have the option to bump / take the route from ANY of those lower seniority drivers... or only the very bottom seniority driver?

Turdferguson

Just a turd
So let's say you didn't bid a coverage route for a given week. You walk in Monday and you're not on the schedule, but plenty of other coverage drivers are with less seniority. Do you have the option to bump / take the route from ANY of those lower seniority drivers... or only the very bottom seniority driver?
What is your past building practice ?
You may not like it, but being a coverage driver is like being in the building . You have a right to work, but not pick where you work, or what you do

scooby0048

I am also in CEN. For your situation, being a non-bid swing driver like me, it is work as directed. You can still bump ANY driver who is junior to you whether they have a bid route or not. Like I said, it would be the next guy lower than you.

8000Shelf

What is your past building practice ?
You may not like it, but being a coverage driver is like being in the building . You have a right to work, but not pick where you work, or what you do
Isn't work supposed to be scheduled in seniority order tho?

... I understand I must work as directed/assigned as a swing driver, but what if I'm not assigned anything?

Last edited:

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Isn't work supposed to be scheduled in seniority order tho?
Working yes, where you work or what you do without a bid, no.
Unless you have a route bid, it's where they want or need you.
They said you could bump the least senior person to work that day. They are not denying you your right to work

8000Shelf

Working yes, where you work or what you do without a bid, no.
Unless you have a route bid, it's where they want or need you.
They said you could bump the least senior person to work that day. They are not denying you your right to work
Thanks for making sense of it for me Turd. If they want me out blind on the lowest seniority guys route, then that's what I'll do

Last edited:

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Seniority is king. That being said, I never worked in Central, so whatever past practice is, applies, especially in lieu of any specific language to the contrary. My advice is; Watch how this "practice" is applied by mgmt going forward with other drivers in your specific seniority position. So, if there's an attempt by a senior driver to bump you, and there's a driver with less seniority on a route that day, you can point to this policy to stay on the route you're on.

any lower seniority.