Seniority and working doubles

EmraldArcher

Does seniority come into play if you're working a double and on the "wrong" shift?

For instance, employee A normally performs preferred work (is that the term for it? Picking off on a PD for example) but employee B is working a double and has more seniority. Can B takes A's position?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Does seniority come into play if you're working a double and on the "wrong" shift?

For instance, employee A normally performs preferred work (is that the term for it? Picking off on a PD for example) but employee B is working a double and has more seniority. Can B takes A's position?

This is under Article 3, Section 7 (c). "Double shifting employees shall have seniority amongst themselves." Picking off, sorting, smalls sorting, irregs, etc. are all protected by seniority and you can't be "bumped" from these jobs by someone pulling a double. Loading "your" truck (ie. Door 7 on PD-1) on the shiny new extendo isn't really protected by seniority unless there's a past practice supporting it.

RealPerson

If you cry, you can get the easy jobs, when you double shift, as long as it is not a bid job.

For me working the sort isle for my shift then double work it for another 3-5 hours is not worth the wear and tear on my body for the money.. (during peak) ... When I was younger Maybe!

EmraldArcher

This is under Article 3, Section 7 (c). "Double shifting employees shall have seniority amongst themselves." Picking off, sorting, smalls sorting, irregs, etc. are all protected by seniority and you can't be "bumped" from these jobs by someone pulling a double. Loading "your" truck (ie. Door 7 on PD-1) on the shiny new extendo isn't really protected by seniority unless there's a past practice supporting it.

Shiny new extendo, that's funny. They ripped all the belts off the extendos in my hub and replaced it with a sheet of plastic.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

AndUPSER

And how does that work?

Can't speak for the OP, but it's kind of a pain now that the boxes don't come right to you like they did with the belt.

I heard that buildings across the region was replacing the belts with the plastic piece because a loader cut his finger on a belt.

EmraldArcher

Can't speak for the OP, but it's kind of a pain now that the boxes don't come right to you like they did with the belt.

I heard that buildings across the region was replacing the belts with the plastic piece because a loader cut his finger on a belt.

We were told it was to cut down on electricity costs.

Of course they raised electricity costs when they did away with paper towels in the restrooms (well the men's anyway, ladies still have them).

RolloTony Brown Town

I worked in a facility like that. I'll tell you how it worked: not very well. Instead of having a belt that pulled packages toward you every time the photo gate was open, there is now a smooth low friction sheet of fiberglass of sorts. So pivoting the end up is impossible because gravity does indeed work both ways, and packages fall all over the floor because there's nothing stopping these packages from moving. It's less safe than the belts they used to have but I'm sure maintenance costs are way down.

Sent using BrownCafe App

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Shiny new extendo, that's funny. They ripped all the belts off the extendos in my hub and replaced it with a sheet of plastic.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

At least you haven't received any of the "new" extendos with a removable "stop" at the end that uses a badly-angled triangle to stop packages. We had a guy lose a finger less than 72 hours after they were installed.