Seniority Manipulation

Hi all,
I've been a preloader for about 7 months, a driving bid came up a month ago and I got the bid. I went out for the road test with my sup and failed it. I wasn't given 24 hours notice for the test. I wasn't given any practice time with the truck. I'm a experienced manual driver but the shift pattern threw me and there was no diagram on the shifter. I stalled it going from 1st into what I thought was 2nd but I was 4th. The sup 3 minutes in to the route is asking me road signs and I missed what a few were. I don't test well and I was anxious I had never driven a truck that size. on the route there is a stop sign that makes absolutely no sense and I almost went through it. I have a co worker that I am friends with that just tested and passed. He said that the same sup I went out with drove him around the route pointing out the signs to pay attention to. He was given a weeks notice of the test and had practice time with the truck. Last week my sup said he's gonna see if he can get me back out there. I talked to a driver I'm friends with and he said it's seniority manipulation. The sup wants him over me so he set me up to fail and pushed this guy through the door. He said he is going to look into it. My co worker asked me not to mention his name to the sup. Should I grieve the matter or wait for a second shot?

upschuck

So, you blew through a stop sign, don't know what other signs mean, stall a pc(which an expirienced manual driver wouldn't do), and you think you failed because of some conspiracy?

OK, if you say so.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So, you blew through a stop sign, don't know what other signs mean, stall a pc(which an expirienced manual driver wouldn't do), and you think you failed because of some conspiracy?

OK, if you say so.

To be fair, it has been at least 15 years, probably closer to 20, since I have driven a manual transmission vehicle or pkg car. I would need a few minutes to get back up to speed. The OP is a newbie who has never driver a pkg car, auto or manual.

There is no excuse for blowing through the stop sign.

upschuck

To be fair, it has been at least 15 years, probably closer to 20, since I have driven a manual transmission vehicle or pkg car. I would need a few minutes to get back up to speed. The OP is a newbie who has never driver a pkg car, auto or manual.

There is no excuse for blowing through the stop sign.
When you begin to stall, you would know exactly what to do.

I believe stalling is a big boo boo on the checklist.

When you begin to stall, you would know exactly what to do.

I believe stalling is a big boo boo on the checklist.
So the other guy getting time with the truck in the parking lot, seeing the route from the passenger seat having a heads up of when he was going out, not 15 minutes after the shift didn't give him a higher chance of success? If you can drive a power boat I guess you're ready to take a cruise liner out to sea right off the bat and I didn't blow through a stop sign

Last edited:

Faceplanted

So the other guy getting time with the truck in the parking lot, seeing the route from the passenger seat having a heads up of when he was going out, not 15 minutes after the shift didn't give him a higher chance of success? If you can drive a power boat I guess you're ready to take a cruise liner out to see right off the bat and I didn't blow through a stop sign
Dude... you screwed up. Stop blaming everybody else

Millenial?

I managed to pass my driving test in a pos stick shift... I didn't need anybody pointing out signs to me either. It was magical

upschuck

So the other guy getting time with the truck in the parking lot, seeing the route from the passenger seat having a heads up of when he was going out, not 15 minutes after the shift didn't give him a higher chance of success? If you can drive a power boat I guess you're ready to take a cruise liner out to see right off the bat and I didn't blow through a stop sign
Did you ask for pc time like he evidently did?

Dude... you screwed up. Stop blaming everybody else

I managed to pass my driving test in a pos stick shift... I didn't need anybody pointing out signs to me either. It was magical
I took full responsibility for it. I felt like :censored2: and still do, but I guess I shouldn't feel the way I do cause another guy had it handed to him

What did they say? When did you ask?
I asked when I was told that I got the bid. The hub has a culdesac at the end of the road he said that I could drive down the end of the road and back when I went out for my road test. That wasn't granted. I'm not trying to sound like a whiny bitch. I'm just stating what happened to me and how it differed from a fellow employees experience. I figured these road tests were pretty standard and that's why I feel like I wasn't treated the same. I own up to my mistakes

upschuck

I asked when I was told that I got the bid. The hub has a culdesac at the end of the road he said that I could drive down the end of the road and back when I went out for my road test. That wasn't granted. I'm not trying to sound like a whiny bitch. I'm just stating what happened to me and how it differed from a fellow employees experience. I figured these road tests were pretty standard and that's why I feel like I wasn't treated the same. I own up to my mistakes
So, you are complaining because you didn't get to drive down a culdesac?

What signs did you not know?

No a standardized test is a standardized test. Why are two test done by the same person 2 or 3 weeks apart differing so much is my question. I think it was a no parking sign that I passed and couldn't recall. It whatever I got the consensus here

PT Car Washer

No a standardized test is a standardized test. Why are two test done by the same person 2 or 3 weeks apart differing so much is my question. I think it was a no parking sign that I passed and couldn't recall. It whatever I got the consensus here
Happens all the time. Just depends on if the management team wants you or not as a driver. Some people they weed out before even giving them a chance at driving. You can try and grieve it because at this point what do you have to lose.