Seniority Violation Grievance

Mr Blonde

I was wondering if someone could steer me to where in the contract (article and section) to go for a grievance of management violating seniority by sending employees with lower seniority home without asking high seniority employees.

Thanks.

Also, I'm in the Southern Region supplement, if that makes any difference.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Why do you want to leave early ? Are you one of those show up only for my benefits people ? Do not want your gaurantee ? In any case it is Article 3 and all others applicable.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
It hurts our strength when people do not work their time .It gives management an excuse to do bargaining unit work. What if he is an artiicle 22 and doesn't get his gurantee it screws up the pension dollars. And maybe just maybe they take up a space of someone who really needs the work.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It hurts our strength when people do not work their time .It gives management an excuse to do bargaining unit work. What if he is an artiicle 22 and doesn't get his gurantee it screws up the pension dollars. And maybe just maybe they take up a space of someone who really wants the work.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Oh please. Some people have other committments after their shift and need to leave when it is SUPPOSED to be over. Not after the 20 extra minutes it actually takes because of deliberate short staffing. No one said he didn't get his 3.5. Put down the cool aid and relax.

Nimnim

The Nim
Oh please. Some people have other committments after their shift and need to leave when it is SUPPOSED to be over. Not after the 20 extra minutes it actually takes because of deliberate short staffing. No one said he didn't get his 3.5. Put down the cool aid and relax.

And who's to say that day they weren't feeling well and wanted to take off early for once?

UPSGUY72

I was wondering if someone could steer me to where in the contract (article and section) to go for a grievance of management violating seniority by sending employees with lower seniority home without asking high seniority employees.

Thanks.

Also, I'm in the Southern Region supplement, if that makes any difference.

You have the right to work not the right not to work.

The only time seniority comes into effect when we work on a holiday and they cut routes then they put a list up of who wants the day off and seniority rules..

menotyou

bella amicizia
They have done away with someone's set sort area, here. Therefore, seniority does rule. I've used it to prove a point.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
You have the right to work not the right not to work.

The only time seniority comes into effect when we work on a holiday and they cut routes then they put a list up of who wants the day off and seniority rules..
I have actually filed a grievance for senior people to be asked to leave early and won. It stuck in claw though . The guy was an ass did not care about anybody but himself."Take my benefits and gome home" We need to careful we do not kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

IMO once all employees have worked their guarantee any requests to go home or for extra work should be in seniority order. Sign up sheets for extra work should also be in seniority order and staffing shortages filled by forcing from the bottom up.

Mr Blonde

We were fully staffed on our belt before shift with additional people, so they sent the newest hire home, when I would of liked a day off. I haven't missed a day or not worked my guarantee in 3 months, but they won't give me scheduled offs because I'm active in the union. (Denying them a month in advance for no reason).

I'm working preload and a fulltime job during the day, so I would of just liked a day to get more sleep. If I work a full shift, I always want my guarantee if I'm there, but if they send someone home from our belt, I wouldn't be opposed to having a day off here or there. They also never respect seniority in the order they send people home at the end of our shift, which I think should work in seniority order. Thoughts?

Kis124

Before the shift starts, inform your sup that if there are extra people, you would like to go home. That's how we do it in our place and they go by who has the highest seniority of those who ask.

UPSGUY72

We were fully staffed on our belt before shift with additional people, so they sent the newest hire home, when I would of liked a day off. I haven't missed a day or not worked my guarantee in 3 months, but they won't give me scheduled offs because I'm active in the union. (Denying them a month in advance for no reason).

I'm working preload and a fulltime job during the day, so I would of just liked a day to get more sleep. If I work a full shift, I always want my guarantee if I'm there, but if they send someone home from our belt, I wouldn't be opposed to having a day off here or there. They also never respect seniority in the order they send people home at the end of our shift, which I think should work in seniority order. Thoughts?

If you want a day off call in problem solved.

In the situation you speak off you don't have a case. If there isn't enough work they start laying people of from the bottom up not top down or asking people if they want the day. The people that they sent home could file a grievance for there guaranteed hours however they risk the possibility of they getting laid off instead told they are not needed for the day.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"

Get your steward involved if that doesn't work call the hall

Johney

In the situation you speak off you don't have a case. If there isn't enough work they start laying people of from the bottom up not top down or asking people if they want the day. The people that they sent home could file a grievance for there guaranteed hours however they risk the possibility of they getting laid off instead told they are not needed for the day.
This. You filing a seniority grievance over this will get you nothing period. You said your already on the radar for your "Union" work, so why file on something that probably won't get you anything.

Nitelite

I'd hate to work at the hub you guys apparently work at. VLOs are given based on seniority in our hub as it should be. Why send home someone that makes $10 an hour when there is a $31 an hour worker that wants to? Obviously if there is no replacement worker for a specific job, that person doesn't go home but otherwise seniority wins.

anonymous4

As usual with seniority matters, you are completely wrong. VLOs should be given out based on SENIORITY just like everything else. Management loves to tell the new hires to go home when they are making cuts in order to avoid cutting the high productivity workers. Happens every single Wed, Thursday and Friday and happens at an ever-increasing rate. So your 22.3's don't file when they aren't offered a VLO but the guy with 3 months in goes home? Sorry for you. Why would you think this is okay? UPS is not life for every single person, some people want that day off every few weeks to rest the body. Why should it be given to someone who is new? Seniority rules and I have seen a combo worker file and win on the subject of the VLO.

UPSGUY72

As usual with seniority matters, you are completely wrong. VLOs should be given out based on SENIORITY just like everything else. Management loves to tell the new hires to go home when they are making cuts in order to avoid cutting the high productivity workers. Happens every single Wed, Thursday and Friday and happens at an ever-increasing rate. So your 22.3's don't file when they aren't offered a VLO but the guy with 3 months in goes home? Sorry for you. Why would you think this is okay? UPS is not life for every single person, some people want that day off every few weeks to rest the body. Why should it be given to someone who is new? Seniority rules and I have seen a combo worker file and win on the subject of the VLO.

Again show me in the contract where it says that other than for vacation seniority gives you the right NOT to work. All language in my supplement says seniority gives you the right to work. No where does it says it gives you the right to not to work.

One day and more lay offs go in seniority order bottom to top.