Seniority

mercury7

I'm inquiring what is the best answer to give a new hire asking about when they will obtain their seniority and joining the union. I'm a pt sup.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
You're the supervisor....why ask an hourly? lol. You say, Hey Fresh Meat, this is ______ the shop steward. End of conversation. Didn't they teach you that at Slip and Fall school...I mean...management training?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
You must be a new sup, welcome to the Dark Side. You'll be chewed out because someone sneezed. I don't discuss union business/questions with anyone in management....unless it's in the shape of a grievance form.

mercury7

You're the supervisor....why ask an hourly? lol. You say, Hey Fresh Meat, this is ______ the shop steward. End of conversation. Didn't they teach you that at Slip and Fall school...I mean...management training?
Make you feel better about yourself being rude to someone asking a genuine question?

upschuck

I'm inquiring what is the best answer to give a new hire asking about when they will obtain their seniority
Say " I'll check on that", and then actually do that, if you don't know, and want to be a good sup. Or the generic 30 days if you want to take the easy way out.

Make you feel better about yourself being rude to someone asking a genuine question?
I know the answer missy. I want to know what other people think is the best answer.
Asking a genuine question that you already know the answer?

mercury7

Thanks chuck I had already told her thirty days but she wasn't knowledgeable of the steward on the sort. I guess some upper management don't like me being honest and telling her to ask the steward as well.

mercury7

Say " I'll check on that", and then actually do that, if you don't know, and want to be a good sup. Or the generic 30 days if you want to take the easy way out.

So Chuck you're saying I shouldn't have referred her to the steward. That's what I've been told to do by HR.

upschuck

So Chuck you're saying I shouldn't have referred her to the steward. That's what I've been told to do by HR.

How would the steward know how many days employee had worked? He/She does not have access to that information(as far as I know) as easy as you would. As far as the getting into the union part, then yes, refer away.

mercury7

Honest about what? Days worked? or about their steward. Best answer about days is to tell them you got 4(or whatever) more days left, a concrete answer.
Honest in referring her to the steward for issues I wasn't certain on. I believe every hourly needs to know who their stewards are. The building I'm in, the rules change like the weather (depending on who you ask) but the contract is the contract.

mercury7

Honest in referring her to the steward for issues I wasn't certain on. I believe every hourly needs to know who their stewards are. The building I'm in, the rules change like the weather (depending on who you ask) but the contract is the contract.
Questions for the steward like...how to join the union. We don't have a union rep that comes to the orientation.

mercury7

Tough crowd in here. Just trying to get some opinions. I believe I did the right thing in referring the employee. A manager from another department caught half the convo ( the part about who the steward is; who she doesn't like) and had a fit that I was referring someone new to a steward.

upschuck

Tough crowd in here. Just trying to get some opinions. I believe I did the right thing in referring the employee. A manager from another department caught half the convo ( the part about who the steward is; who she doesn't like) and had a fit that I was referring someone new to a steward.
I've just had too many times management has not followed through on what they say they will do. Give them a concrete answer in days, and refer to steward, unless management would want you to tell them yourself. Your job, as management, is to address the workers concerns.

mercury7

Yes I try to give the best answer to serve their interests not mine or refer them to someone who I believe can help. At the end of the day, we all bleed red. The human element has been forgotten in our company.