Senority Question???

upsman360

Total senority prevails during layoff whether ft or pt. So if I (a driver) am layed off i know that i cannont bump someone on preload or the local that has more total senority than i. So what happens if two drivers are laid off and bounced back into the building and there is only one spot on the local left. Driver A. was the outside hire in 2005. Driver B. was a preloader from 2003 to 2006 when he went driving. Now here is what I need to know - Driver A. was a pt sup from 2000 to 2005 does his senority regarding layoff start in 2000 or 2005? Driver A did go driving b4 driver B but if they are both layed off and bounced into the building who has the most senority?:happy2: Question is basically do pt supervisors years accrue senority?

Last edited:

UPSGUY72

Total senority prevails during layoff whether ft or pt. So if I (a driver) am layed off i know that i cannont bump someone on preload or the local that has more total senority than i. So what happens if two drivers are laid off and bounced back into the building and there is only one spot on the local left. Driver A. was the outside hire in 2005. Driver B. was a preloader from 2003 to 2006 when he went driving. Now here is what I need to know - Driver A. was a pt sup from 2000 to 2005 does his senority regarding layoff start in 2000 or 2005? Driver A did go driving b4 driver B but if they are both layed off and bounced into the building who has the most senority?:happy2: Question is basically do pt supervisors years accrue senority?

I don't believe PT SUP accrue Senority atleast they shouldn't they are not in the union. Driver B should have more senority then A.

You need to read your local rider. Are you saying the there are atleast 2 people below you two on the preload and only one on the local sort.

upsman360

the bottom two drivers have been bounced back in the building. We both have no problem working preload there are plenty of preloaders that have only been there a few years so neither one of us has a problem bouncing back into the preload. the problem is we both need to work the local to get our 8 hours however the local is filled with guys who have been there 10 plus years and there is only room for one of us.

UPSGUY72

You need to read your rider and see what it says about being layed off as a driver.

That being said I know in Ma you can work pt and collect. So if it comes down to one of you only working one shift I would go to my unemployment off and see if I could collect and work pt. If not I would take the full layoff and collect untill they call you back.

upsman360

i haven't seen anything in the contract book that would address this situation. I am going to check into it though. I am driver b by the way:) Already planned to visit unemployment office. By the way the way 15-20% of our peices are going to the usps to deliver all our drivers would b on the road and hired 1 or 2 if we weren't subcontracting our work out. the contract does speak of that but i guess it doesn't really matter. why should fedex drivers go union if the union allows work to be subcontracted out.

UPSGUY72

i haven't seen anything in the contract book that would address this situation. I am going to check into it though. I am driver b by the way:) Already planned to visit unemployment office. By the way the way 15-20% of our peices are going to the usps to deliver all our drivers would b on the road and hired 1 or 2 if we weren't subcontracting our work out. the contract does speak of that but i guess it doesn't really matter. why should fedex drivers go union if the union allows work to be subcontracted out.

Don't worry you will be back driving in a month or two at the most.

We are not giving away the work its is just another service that UPS gives shipper to lower shipping cost and atleast make some money instead on loss the volume totally. The economy needs to pick up alot more and I don't see that happening for a couple of years so unitll then just be thankful you still have a job.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Basic is not subcontracting.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Here the driver with the full-time seniority works over the total company seniority. That's how it is. However, the FT can bump ANY part-timer and work the hub, as FT is automatically senior to any PT.

upsman360

if basic is not subcontracting than what is - the contract states that no work is to be subcontracted out in whole or in part. this is not only hurting the bottom senority drivers it is hurting everyone. routes used to go our 60% businesses and 40% resi's now its 80/20 in our center we have got businesses all over the 7000 and 8000 section of our trucks because drivers have lost so many resis to post office. Now some of our businesses are getting there deliveries when we come by to make the pickups.

UPSGUY72

if basic is not subcontracting than what is - the contract states that no work is to be subcontracted out in whole or in part. this is not only hurting the bottom senority drivers it is hurting everyone. routes used to go our 60% businesses and 40% resi's now its 80/20 in our center we have got businesses all over the 7000 and 8000 section of our trucks because drivers have lost so many resis to post office. Now some of our businesses are getting there deliveries when we come by to make the pickups.

You don't get it. UPS has joined up with the post office to provide a cheaper shipping service for shippers and still make money from these shipper. If UPS didn't offer this service we might loose the shipper to FEDEX instead we atleast make some money off them by delivering the packages to the post office.

I have deliver packages to the post office for address that I have other packages to deliver to the same day. That doesn't make to much sence but it all comes down to the cost the shipper wants to pay. The post office is losing billions of dollars a year I can't see this service be around to long.

upsman360

i understand giving them packages and bags that can fit in a mail box - but not the size of boxes that we are giving them. it has turned into a "blank check" the usps is nothing but ups's version of fedex home delivery. What really makes me mad is the fact that my tax dollars are going to prop up a competitor they had an 8.5 billion dollar loss this year. if the usps had to charge enough to make a profit we would still be delivering these packages.