Sent Home but got 401k paperwork?

LongIslandNewbie

About 4 weeks ago I was sent home and told they were processing my union paperwork, every week I get a text from my supervisor saying not yet, hang on soon. I have been doing temp work here and there but not enough to really cut it. Today I get a text saying my return will most likely be 10/17 or 10/18. My question is since this is the start of seasonal does that mean I am not a permanent driver as was promised? I received paperwork form the union 401K on Sunday that said welcome to your union 401K? I really don't know what to think anymore. This UPS roller coaster is getting old. Wondering if its time to go back to a Corporate America Job where I came from.

LongIslandNewbie

I wasnt supposed to be seasonal, but I also haven't worked since I was told made book back on 9/16/16 so I really don't know what the friend#$@% is going on.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
About 4 weeks ago I was sent home and told they were processing my union paperwork, every week I get a text from my supervisor saying not yet, hang on soon. I have been doing temp work here and there but not enough to really cut it. Today I get a text saying my return will most likely be 10/17 or 10/18. My question is since this is the start of seasonal does that mean I am not a permanent driver as was promised? I received paperwork form the union 401K on Sunday that said welcome to your union 401K? I really don't know what to think anymore. This UPS roller coaster is getting old. Wondering if its time to go back to a Corporate America Job where I came from.
How long did you drive before getting laid off? This doesn't make sense?

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
@LongIslandNewbie : do yourself a favor and get your contract/supplement. It is probably available for download on your Teamster Local's website; it is also at teamster.org, but will take a bit more searching. Read up on the parts about making seniority and the seasonal period, then call the local union and ask them your questions, preferably talk to the representative (business agent) for the building you were working out of.

LongIslandNewbie

This is all very confusing. I was never Laid off. I worked 39 days out on the road as a driver, I was then told by the center manager "you made it" go home and he would call me when my union paperwork was processed. I have gotten text messages from my direct supervisor weekly telling me hang on not yet. I am really not sure whats going on. It all seems like a game, but its really not fair to play games with peoples finances.

I will take you advise and attempt to reach my local union for more info. If I call corporate could they advise of my status? Seasonal /Permanent/ Active?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
This is all very confusing. I was never Laid off. I worked 39 days out on the road as a driver, I was then told by the center manager "you made it" go home and he would call me when my union paperwork was processed. I have gotten text messages from my direct supervisor weekly telling me hang on not yet. I am really not sure whats going on. It all seems like a game, but its really not fair to play games with peoples finances.

I will take you advise and attempt to reach my local union for more info. If I call corporate could they advise of my status? Seasonal /Permanent/ Active?
You should be working as you are now in the union. Full time bumps part time.

Don't forget your seniority date is when you started (hire date).

ManInBrown

Sounds like you made it thru your 30 days and were kept on seasonal. You can't make book during the free period. You are automatically enrolled in the 401K once you make it thru the 30 days. I believe the auto enroll is 1%. Are you off the street or PT to FT?

optikz

can u be in the union if you're seasonal? I was told no by everyone I know that works at the local center here. I was hired off the street but haven't started yet. actually go to school next week. I was the 1 driver for every 7 within hired. text and emails from HR and center manager stating I am coming in as a full time permanent driver. I'm hoping I don't have to go through this when I hit 30

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I don't think your union paperwork has anything to do with you getting laid off every day. Sounds like you're being jerked around big time. Like Hondo said, you need to talk to the BA ASAP.

ManInBrown

can u be in the union if you're seasonal? I was told no by everyone I know that works at the local center here. I was hired off the street but haven't started yet. actually go to school next week. I was the 1 driver for every 7 within hired. text and emails from HR and center manager stating I am coming in as a full time permanent driver. I'm hoping I don't have to go through this when I hit 30
Yes, you can. You don't have any union protection but you pay the dues. It's the tradeoff the Teamsters made with the company to allow seasonal workers.
It's real simple. Are you off the street or PT to FT? If you are off the street zero chance you are permanent. They aren't working you because they don't need you till peak.

optikz

Yes, you can. You don't have any union protection but you pay the dues. It's the tradeoff the Teamsters made with the company to allow seasonal workers.
It's real simple. Are you off the street or PT to FT? If you are off the street zero chance you are permanent. They aren't working you because they don't need you till peak.

I was specifically told I was being hired in as a full time permanent driver. they made it very clear to me I was not seasonal. I have all the paperwork as well as emails stating this. also states I will gain seniority during peak because I am a full time hire. the last guy who got hired quit before his 30 days probation which left the window open for the 1 off the street hire that needed to fill. I am not working yet because I had to give my current job a 2 weeks notice and I was on vacation the week after they called me in and told me I was offered the job. so I used that week off to do my road test, dot physical and all the computer training.

ManInBrown

I was specifically told I was being hired in as a full time permanent driver. they made it very clear to me I was not seasonal. I have all the paperwork as well as emails stating this. also states I will gain seniority during peak because I am a full time hire. the last guy who got hired quit before his 30 days probation which left the window open for the 1 off the street hire that needed to fill. I am not working yet because I had to give my current job a 2 weeks notice and I was on vacation the week after they called me in and told me I was offered the job. so I used that week off to do my road test, dot physical and all the computer training.
Hate to break it to you, but you were lied to. There is no such thing as being hired FT off the street. There is such a thing as being hired as a seasonal employee, and if they like you they might keep you. They don't hand out FT jobs to people off the street. No one is hired FT off the street. You have an opportunity, to eventually be a FT employee. That is all you have.

And you did not answer the question when I asked if you were PT to FT or off the street, so I am just going to guess off the street. Good luck to you