Sent home early

DaNewGuy

Hi,
Been doing loading for a month now and like the job. Today, after working only 2 1/2 hours was sent home because there wasn't any work. A slow day. Should I be getting paid for 3 1/2 hours? I'm new at this and willing to work hard but don't want to be taken advantage of either.

542thruNthru

Hi,
Been doing loading for a month now and like the job. Today, after working only 2 1/2 hours was sent home because there wasn't any work. A slow day. Should I be getting paid for 3 1/2 hours? I'm new at this and willing to work hard but don't want to be taken advantage of either.
Have you passed your probation period?

542thruNthru

You're under 30 working days. So I'd just keep my mouth shut till I pass probation. After that then when they try to send you home demand your 3 1/2 guarantee. If they still say you have to go ask for a steward to confirm that you requested your 3 1/2.

542thruNthru

Ok. Thank you. I don’t want to cause any trouble. I like the job. Probation isn’t 30 calendar days? It’s 30 days clocked in?
Do you know what local union you are? Some areas and 30 working days and some are 70. Depends on your supplemental agreement.

You should also find out who your steward is and ask for a contract book. Don't ask your sup, ask a coworker.

542thruNthru

Oh local 25 hu. So you're in the New England Supplement.
sketch-1627418717337.jpg

Also being that your local 25 I'm sure you're going to be voting Teamster Power Slate come October. ;)
Vairma_Teamster-Logo-V2_FINAL2-1.png

Ain't that right @opie :)

PT 4 Life

Most-Hated Member
It’s like @542thruNthru said just keep your head down and do your work. They can fire you pretty much for anything during probation period.you’re guaranteed three hours though.

Ups not easy but stay with it. It’s worth it.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
Hi,
You don’t have enough seniority to fart inside the building I suggest you just go home until you have some time in young man.
🧔✊

J.D. Hogg

Do you know what local union you are? Some areas and 30 working days and some are 70. Depends on your supplemental agreement.

You should also find out who your steward is and ask for a contract book. Don't ask your sup, ask a coworker.
You'll know when you have enough time in to be eligible to join the union because you'll receive stuff in the mail -- Teamsters eligible-to-join letter and an initiation dues form that must be completed & sent back.

After I mailed in a $95 check for initiation dues, I received a congratulations/welcome letter, a membership card, a calendar, a national agreement book, and tons of Teamsters pamphlets/brochures explaining the history of the organization, logo merchandise you can buy, etc.

3 1/2 unless he works on a air ramp or gateway.
First it's not called an "air ramp". It's called The ramp. Second dont count on keeping your job if Local 25, specifically Sean Brian is representing airline employees. Bad in the mid 2000's United Mechanics were represented by local 25. That local auto shop for United was the most efficient cost effective auto shop in the whole United system. They did everything that other shops did but spent a fraction of the money. Their talent pool was huge. But one summers day United Airlines approached Local 25 to say they were closing United Autoshop in Boston. The reason, if United could close and get away with closing the most efficient cost saving shop and get away with it, then they would save 10's of millions a year. I know backwards logic but that's what it was. Well Do you think Sean OBrian fought back to fight for those workers jobs. NO OF COURSE NOT.... Sean grabbed his little marble sack and the brown envelope he got from United and said nothing..... 2years after the closer UNITED realized the huge mistake they made, and offered everyones job bad.... There's more to this... but I'll save it for another time.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Hi,
Da..NO. Call us back when you are in the top notch union that is the Teamsters.

Who gets book during peak freeze?