Sent home everyday with no pay (preload)

JonFrum

SEH12,

Are you a part-timer? A Temp? A Seasonal?

The Master Agreement says . . .

Article 22 --- Part-Time Employees
Section 5. Wages
(d) All part-time employees governed by this Article shall be provided a minimum daily three and one half (3-1/2) hour guarantee.

Memorandum of Understanding
Teamster United Parcel Service Negotiating Committee (Union) and United Parcel Service Inc. agree that it was their mutual intent that if a part-time employee completes his assigned duties and leaves work in less than three-and-one-half hours he shall be considered to have forfeited the right to his daily three-and-one-half hour guarantee. This shall not effect an employee’s right to a minimum three (3) hour daily guarantee.

UPS Master Agreement & Regional Supplements:
http://tdu.org/node/1617

Just be aware, there may be a time limit as to how far back you can go if you file a grievance for backpay.

Also, if you really are ordered to report to work, it is probably a violation of Law to not pay you for your report.

herbigharo32

The contract states you are guarantied 3.5 hours a day/17 hours a week. If you are cut loose and not object then it would be an agreement between you and employer. Usually, I work at PD7 (outbound trailers) then go work in small sorts for an hour several times a week. Lately I have been getting about 19 hours a week. I could get get 25 if I really wanted to. But, I have another job in the evening and must allow enough time to sleep.

22.34life

in the event of a layoff the contract says the least senior person goes home but union says for a layoff this is building wide so from what i understand you can bump the lowest senority person any where in the building provided you can perform the work.the contract does say 3.5 hr gurrantty but that depends on the interpretation of your buisness agent

JonFrum

in the event of a layoff the contract says the least senior person goes home but union says for a layoff this is building wide so from what i understand you can bump the lowest senority person any where in the building provided you can perform the work.the contract does say 3.5 hr gurrantty but that depends on the interpretation of your buisness agent
Doesn't your Supplement have a clause saying once you report to work, you are guaranteed your minimum number of hours, period? In other words, they can't send you home. (But you can agree to go home voluntarily.)

jennie

We think we are all run the same, but I think its where you are, who is your sups, and who is your "principle" thats what I call him, the BIG BOSS. If I show up, I work, I have times where they were putting me else where for work, you get your 3 1/2 period!

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
Hang on a sec,are you saying the drivers are preloading for free?
This is the only reason they would do this because putting 10 of them on the clock would cost them far more than letting you guys do it.If this is the case file a grievance now!
Could be drivers that aren't driving.

Ghost in the Darkness

You need to stand up for yourself. If they tell you to report then you are guaranteed 3.5 hrs. Otherwise tell them to let you know if they need you to come in. There is no reason why you should sacrifice your time, gas, and sleep just because the sup doesn't know how to staff the shift.

QKRSTKR

I can't believe they can do this. As a driver if your on call you can call an hour before the center start time and ask the Ctr. manager or sups if they need you? If they say no, your not wasting your time. If they say yes, and you come in and they say ooops, we messed up, your guaranteed 6 hrs. where I'm at. If you come in without calling then that's your fault.

I don't remeber them putting people on call when I worked preload. Hell, the sups came in well after I started. The only way they knew you weren't there was if your cages were riding full.:sleeping2:

Brown Rocket

at my center we have about 10 drivers coming in to preload each morning, so that means 10 of us get sent home nearly everyday. The part i find ridiculous is that they want us to show up EVERY DAY even though they know they wont need us. Driving an hour round trip at 4 in the morning for no reason is starting to get a bit ridiculous... anyone else having to do this?

I think I know where this is happening because you used the word "bench." The reason this is happening in the center I think this is is because this center is in a transition in management with the center manager having just left and they have yet to name a new one. So drivers that are "layed off" come and go as they please. Layed off one day; driving the next. The preload manager can't depend on anyone except for his pre-loaders. So just like the drivers at the bottom of the senortiy list that show up every morning looking for work, he keeps a few pre-loaders on "the bench."

There are two ways this could go. One is that you take it, keep your benifits because you are still gettting one punch a week (and lets face it no one works pre-load for the money at this center).

OOOOORRRRR . . .

You start filing grivances to get your 30 bucks a day and before you know it you will be permantly laid off with no benifits and no money.

You have every right to your grievance, absolutely no doubt about that. But always be aware of the periphrials. You'll screw yourself in in the end in this particular case.

PS - Our rider is just a big repeat of the national agreement because no hourly employee has asked for anything and the local doesn't seem to solicit suggestions.

SEH12

There are two ways this could go. One is that you take it, keep your benifits because you are still gettting one punch a week (and lets face it no one works pre-load for the money at this center).
i'm not even getting benefits yet so the only thing i can get is money.

The contract states you are guarantied 3.5 hours a day/17 hours a week. If you are cut loose and not object then it would be an agreement between you and employer. Usually, I work at PD7 (outbound trailers) then go work in small sorts for an hour several times a week. Lately I have been getting about 19 hours a week. I could get get 25 if I really wanted to. But, I have another job in the evening and must allow enough time to sleep.

damn how can you rack up 25 hours a week? the usual i get is 20-22 hours, but 25 hours a week would be sweet on my end.

i'm not even getting benefits yet so the only thing i can get is money.

the samething happened to me when i first started working. i was pretty stable for my first couple weeks to a month, but than the person i replaced came back and now my position was unknown. i did get sent home usually an hour later but soon i got my position back. you also gotta remember i was still paying union dues each week so that can be another reason why they're "benching" you. i think after you pay your union dues (17 weeks), you get those gauranteed 3.5 hours

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
This matter is really simple. YOU MUST DEMAND your guarantee and not accept being sent home. I assure you, the company is recording you as "circling out" and you would be entitled to nothing as it represents that you voluntarily went home.

It is up to you to ASK for you guarantee.

Once they say there is no work, you must ask for your guarantee and that might be sweeping the floor for 3.5 hours.

Each week, you are required to report to work at a scheduled start time that has to be posted the friday before. Once you report on monday, you are GUARANTEED the weeks hours no matter what. They must find you work of some kind.

You have to excersise your rights. Ask for your guarantee.

:wink2:

JonFrum

i was still paying union dues each week so that can be another reason why they're "benching" you. i think after you pay your union dues (17 weeks), you get those gauranteed 3.5 hours
Killer, the entire Contract applies to every member of the bargaining unit, and to all the work of the bargaining unit, from Day One, regardless of weather you are in the Union, or have completed paying your dues and initiation fee. So the 3.5 hour guarantee is there if you want it from the very start.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
First off, its no concern of yours about the upper management issues. That is a UPS issue.

As for the other shoe to fall as rocket suggested, too bad, so sad. Learn to run a business. Just because your management staff is in turmoil, does not indicate a free season to forget the contract and have at it.

Son, you need to file for your time. Retroactive. And for the next few days, demand your time under the contract. Once they understand they have to pay you either way, that will cease.

As long as you are instructed to show, and you show up on time, you are to be paid. Their lack of proper planing does not constitute an emergency on yours. They should at the very least let you know an hour or more before your start time that you will not be needed that day. That is only fair. Anything past that, you need to get paid at least the three-3.5 hours that is your guarantee. I guarantee you the drivers have at least that much advance when it comes time for them to work the preload.

Get with your steward.

d
You start filing grivances to get your 30 bucks a day and before you know it you will be permantly laid off with no benifits and no money.
sounds like your preload sup trying to intimidate you. Dont stand for it.

Killer, the entire Contract applies to every member of the bargaining unit, and to all the work of the bargaining unit, from Day One, regardless of weather you are in the Union, or have completed paying your dues and initiation fee. So the 3.5 hour guarantee is there if you want it from the very start.

damn i got ripped than. too bad its too old now to make a fuss about lol. never again will they send me home without my 3.5 hours