Sent home for socks

rod

Retired 22 years
I understand this is an appearance guideline issue.

The other day I got talked to about not having UPS socks on, and then 15 minutes later pulled from my route just after my start time. 10% of the work force doesn't wear the socks.

Do I atleast have a harassment grievance? Will I just not get paid for that day?

Check again. As far as I know its not an "guideline issue" ---It's a RULE. Big difference. Why does the younger generation think the rules don't apply to them. Wear the frickin socks. Don't like the rule--bring it up at the next contract and quit voting YES all the time.

Karma...

I think Mitch Ryder has socks.......also..there are no appearance standards since the teamsters started running the company

Check again. As far as I know its not an "guideline issue" ---It's a RULE. Big difference. Why does the younger generation think the rules don't apply to them. Wear the frickin socks. Don't like the rule--bring it up at the next contract and quit voting YES all the time.
They don't even bother to vote...

Brown Buddy

UPSnBrowns
I understand this is an appearance guideline issue.

The other day I got talked to about not having UPS socks on, and then 15 minutes later pulled from my route just after my start time. 10% of the work force doesn't wear the socks.

Do I atleast have a harassment grievance? Will I just not get paid for that day?
How long have you been with ups and how many years driving ?

Ghost in the Darkness

So drag everyone else down with you?

I never said name names... just tell them a number of other drivers were not wearing them yet he was the only one sent home.

I agree wearing the socks in the first place would have avoided any issue but being sent home and others were not is an issue in itself. I'm all about choosing your battles wisely but getting singled out is one I would take up every time.

WTFm8

They were talking about drivers 2 weeks ago at my center as they came in.

Last week a local center was threatening people for it then like a day later telling people to pull their mask down as they came in to check for goatees or anything unapproved.

Ackerlin

Wear pants. Problem solve.

Why is there such an issue with millennials and younger followings rules?

One of the methods is to dress for the weather, to me, thats wearing shorts in the summer. I'm not going to spend my own money to buy UPS socks, just to be able to wear shorts. They want me to abide and wear them, give them to me. Its the principal.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The company wouldn’t be able to staff the operation if they didn’t ease up on some of the stuff.

I have known plenty of part timers that “ not gonna drive if I have to cut my hair, shave, wear long sleeves and pants everyday”

Abs that number grows every year.

Zowert

They tried pulling that BS with me, warned me next time I’d be sent home. So the next day I didn’t wear any socks, just barefoot in my sneakers. Supe looked at me and shook his head, didn’t say a word. I’m not paying money just to wear shorts. Get bent.

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
The company wouldn’t be able to staff the operation if they didn’t ease up on some of the stuff.

I have known plenty of part timers that “ not gonna drive if I have to cut my hair, shave, wear long sleeves and pants everyday”

Abs that number grows every year.
Why deal with the BS when you can work a 2nd job until you get enough senority for additional work AND higher wages? Granted it's not gonna support a family but for a bachelor, it works. And marriage is declining.

derrick

i just have a pair in my backpack. i wear regular low cut black socks everyday. sup pulled me up once about it and i looked and said did you just drive in here with a UPS truck full of packages from a pickup and you didn't call me? that was the end of the talk lol.