Serious accident involving a helper

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We were PCM'd yesterday about a serious accident that occured up in Federal Way, WA involving a driver and helper.

Apparently, the package car was involved in a rollaway, and the helper was ejected from the car and then pinned between the car and a tree. It took 45 minutes to cut the car away and get the guy out of there and he suffered life-threatening injuries. The driver was also injured, though not severely.

It would appear...that the driver parked the car with the engine still running and was in the back sorting while the helper was sitting in the jump seat. The KOMO news story showed the car down in a ravine and from what I could see it appeared to be an older P-10...meaning it had a stick shift...meaning the tranny had to be in neutral in order to idle while parked. Either the brake wasnt set, or it was defective, or the lever got bumped. Either way, the results were tragic. I would post a link to the story but my computer skills are lacking.

My prayers go out to both the helper and the driver. Be careful out there, people. Make sure you secure the vehicle every time you park it.

AKX

Will be interesting to hear all the details of this. I bet that was a wild ride. Prayers to all involved.

soberups

I have been trying to find out how the helper is doing. At the PCM, we were told his injuries were life threatening and that the odds were against his survival. I havent been able to get any further info.

whiskers

I have been trying to find out how the helper is doing. At the PCM, we were told his injuries were life threatening and that the odds were against his survival. I havent been able to get any further info.

That is tragic. Thoughts and prayers go out to the helper.

UPSGUY72

Just another reason to follow the methods taking short cuts never leads to anything good but problems.

I hope the helper recovers fully from his injuries and I hope the driver gets his job back and learns from his mistakes.

As sober said make sure you secure you vehicle when you park. Especially on hills. The parking brake is an additional safety device not the primary device to keep the car from rolling.

UPSGUY72

Two weeks ago we had a helper walk in front of a package car and get slightly hit by another passing car. The funny thing is that it happen on the same day we had the PCM on walking behind the car that the helper had to sign in the morning before he started.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Two weeks ago we had a helper walk in front of a package car and get slightly hit by another passing car. The funny thing is that it happen on the same day we had the PCM on walking behind the car that the helper had to sign in the morning before he started.

The helper works under the direction of the driver.

Our helpers are required to wear safety vests.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
We were PCM'd yesterday about a serious accident that occured up in Federal Way, WA involving a driver and helper.

Apparently, the package car was involved in a rollaway, and the helper was ejected from the car and then pinned between the car and a tree. It took 45 minutes to cut the car away and get the guy out of there and he suffered life-threatening injuries. The driver was also injured, though not severely.

It would appear...that the driver parked the car with the engine still running and was in the back sorting while the helper was sitting in the jump seat. The KOMO news story showed the car down in a ravine and from what I could see it appeared to be an older P-10...meaning it had a stick shift...meaning the tranny had to be in neutral in order to idle while parked. Either the brake wasnt set, or it was defective, or the lever got bumped. Either way, the results were tragic. I would post a link to the story but my computer skills are lacking.

My prayers go out to both the helper and the driver. Be careful out there, people. Make sure you secure the vehicle every time you park it.

Witness said he saw the truck drive past him, through an intersection, and around a corner. Driver was in the back and helper was ejected. Something doesn't add up.

Two injured in UPS truck accident in Federal Way | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
These words just kill me...
"The man was pinned between the truck and a tree for more than a half hour before he was rescued."
...I can't help but feel it.

These words scare me...
"...was concerned about the packages, perhaps unaware that the man he called his "helper" had been thrown from the truck."

My prayers to both families, co-workers, customers concerned about their driver and helper and to all of us on BC.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Witness said he saw the truck drive past him, through an intersection, and around a corner. Driver was in the back and helper was ejected. Something doesn't add up.

Two injured in UPS truck accident in Federal Way | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

Bad alignment and / or no power steering can cause the play within the wheel.

But you are right though, the whole story isnt being told here.

Edit, perhaps the helper was trying to do something, like try and stop the car from going out of control. Perhaps he was the cause of it to begin with...

soberups

These words scare me...
"...was concerned about the packages, perhaps unaware that the man he called his "helper" had been thrown from the truck."

My guess would be that the driver was in shock at that point. I highly doubt that he was actually more concerned about the packages than his helper; he just was not able to think clearly under the circumstances.

soberups

Bad alignment and / or no power steering can cause the play within the wheel.

But you are right though, the whole story isnt being told here.

Edit, perhaps the helper was trying to do something, like try and stop the car from going out of control. Perhaps he was the cause of it to begin with...
We were told at the PCM that the cause of the accident was believed to be a rollaway. The car was parked at the top of a hill and the driver was in the back sorting while the helper up in front. The parking brake either failed, was not set, or was set and then de-activated.

Perhaps the driver left the car idling in order to run the heater. Or perhaps the helper was getting into the car thru the drivers side, and while climbing in he somehow hit the park break lever with his knee and de-activated it.

The more I think about it, the more I question the idea that the driver failed to set the brake. Setting that brake is pretty much automatic; we do it without even thinking about it.

I am hoping the facts come out so that this can be a valuable learning experience.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
We had a driver fired last year for a rollaway just a few weeks before Christmas. He was parked on a hill and didn't set the hand brake while he left the car idling and bulkhead door open. Package car rolled across two yards and came to rest about one foot from a house. Driver never got his job back after local and regional hearing. Trying to cut corners to get done faster is just plain stupid. I shudder when I think of what could have happened if a child had been playing in the front yard.

kingOFchester

First peak 4 years ago, 1st or 2nd week driving. Out late, stressed to the max, in the back of truck trying to find a package.......I hear a slight rumble and thought to self "wind must be kicking up" grab package and head out bulkhead to discover truck rolling towards parked cars. Dream?? Maybe, maybe not. But I will say that I ALWAYS make sure vehicle is secure.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

It might have been your accident that we were told about 2 weeks in a PCM.