Serious accident involving a helper

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Re: A Brown Cafe Christmas Blessing. Aid to a fallen coworker! Join me if you will!

Just wondering if any of you read the comments section on the Facebook page where it says that the driver had reported a defective keyless ignition on the package car, and that management had told him to keep driving the vehicle? According to these same comments, the driver "panicked" when he couldn't re-start the vehicle and things went really bad after that. No proof that this is what happened, but the comments seem well-informed, and may well be true.

Please donate generously (I'm going to), but this sounds like a needless tragedy that could have easily been prevented. We use keyless systems too ( magnetic wristband), and I'm wondering if UPS package cars have the same lame system.

No such comments are there now ... they must have deleted it.

Re: A Brown Cafe Christmas Blessing. Aid to a fallen coworker! Join me if you will!

I seriously doubt that UPS retro-fitted that truck with key-less ignition. All those all old trucks are being decommissioned. Just at an off hand guess, I'd say that truck is 20 years old.

FOOTNOTE: There was a post on Facebook, the lawyers are asking that all refrain from making any comments about UPS. I should clarify that it is not UPS lawyers that are asking.

Bumped into a UPS mech at one of the softball tourneys over the summer and he talked about how UPS had him installing that very stuff in even the oldest package cars. They needed wiring harness`s, sensors,etc, the whole lot. What he was amazed at was they had him even do this to the s-boxes that were ADA`d a short time afterwards and then he had to take all the stuff back out so the package car could be scrapped.

So, yea, I don`t doubt it they installed it one minute.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
I think you are correct.

The photo is blurry when I blow it up, but two things stick out. The seat is not one of the newer, high-backed seats. It appears to be one of the old low-backed stadium seats that was no higher than the top of the steering wheel. The shape of the dashboard also tells me that it is one of the older GMC P-10's of 1980's vintage with the gasoline 4.3 liter V-6 and 4-speed stick shift. I cant read the car# but I would bet anything it starts with 110,111 or 112xxx. Those were the last of the "iron maiden" high-step manual steering cars, the ones numbered 113 and up had power steering.

If these cars stalled out, the brakes were almost useless until you got the engine started again.

^^^Yep. My thoughts exactly. With the low driver's seat, both sides would have lap belts only. And that electric "brake assist" was just about as scary as anything could be. Mostly worthless.
I wanted to take a quick look at that vintage of [-]trucks[/-]package cars before I posted, and as I suspected; it is the disc brake equipped [-]trucks[/-]package cars you are alluding to. There is a reason power brake assist became 'standard' equipment with the advent of disc brakes.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity

I seriously doubt that UPS retro-fitted that truck with key-less ignition. All those all old trucks are being decommissioned. Just at an off hand guess, I'd say that truck is 20 years old.
Around here those 'old' trucks are getting shiny new seat (lap) belts with wiring for telematics. IIRC the keyless kit is cheaper than the telematics package. I think you are seriously underestimating how far they will go to squeeze the last bit of use out of a piece of equipment.

cino321

If you leave that truck in gear when you park, and the key-less malfunctions, then that truck is going to turn on and move in first gear.

If you have an old package car, like the 80's P1000's and P800's, you can start them in 1st gear without even pressing the clutch and they'll take off.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

Around here those 'old' trucks are getting shiny new seat (lap) belts with wiring for telematics. IIRC the keyless kit is cheaper than the telematics package. I think you are seriously underestimating how far they will go to squeeze the last bit of use out of a piece of equipment.

Bumped into a UPS mech at one of the softball tourneys over the summer and he talked about how UPS had him installing that very stuff in even the oldest package cars. They needed wiring harness`s, sensors,etc, the whole lot. What he was amazed at was they had him even do this to the s-boxes that were ADA`d a short time afterwards and then he had to take all the stuff back out so the package car could be scrapped.

So, yea, I don`t doubt it they installed it one minute.
Ok, you win. I should have known better.