Serious Accident, Package Car - Tolland CT. 7/16/12

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
The comments lead me to believe the road was already known as being dangerous. Also seems the truck is an older one and one can wonder if it was the regular driver or a rookie. Either way looks pretty bad, I hope he makes it through

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
This is my center and hope the driver is alright. Article doesn't say who is at fault here, but no driver wants to EVER be in this situation.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Wow that looks bad I hope he is ok. It would be nice if this company would get a clue and put more routes in. I know it's business but we are also human beings and so are they hopefully we will get treated as such and they will act like it.

The center has been riding us hard this year. Our roster should have more drivers, routes taken out screwing other routes, the inability to take a day off while running a 50 hour plus week (outside calling out sick, but then you get your attendance reviewed even after your 1st day off. BS) I understand the business part of this but it seems the last 3 years, this company only cares about running the driver into the grave.

BUT, this accident probably had nothing to do with this. He wasn't too far from his area and outside this neighborhood being easier to deliver in a P7, he wasn't anywhere he wasn't familiar with.

Will keep you posted.

P

pickup

one of the postings from the comments section of the article: (Vikki by the way , is a poster who was wondering if it was a driver that she knew and Shannon was one of the people that helped out at the scene)

Shannon, thanks for your quick reaction. I'm his dad and he's in serious condition at Hartford Hospital and will be in ICU for 3 or 4 days. Both his legs have multiple breaks and muscle tissue tears. He will be out for some time. Vikki, he shaves his head and has no hair. I won't give you his name but his initials are R.C. I will update later

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
I bet management was calling the hospital every 5 minutes asking when he'd be released to finish his route.

Why is it becoming a "MUST DO" to post negative crap in a thread?

I read the story and it takes my breathe away to read how strangers came to the aid of the driver.
Prayers
AJ

working up a sweat

The police have released the drivers name. Also according to the comments posts on the link, The driver who hit the package car, ran a stop sign. For more info, go to the link and look at the comments section. My prayers for Randy for a full recovery.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Randy's father posted...Harvey Collins

2:47 pm on Tuesday, July 17, 2012

For those who asked, he was heading toward the hill. The other driver ran a stop sign. Stacy, thanks for your assistance. I can't be there for him at this moment, my wife and I live in Georgia. We were just up there a week ago. He'll probably be in the hospital at least 3 to 4 weeks, then a rehab facility.He [has] a 25% chance of losing both legs.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I'm glad his father is posting on the article's forum and giving updates.

We were informed during the PCM about Randy's accident. Our center manager stayed at the hospital with his girlfriend/fiancee til 3am when he got out of his emergency surgery. This was a terrible accident and was caused by the carelessness of another driver. The State Police are still investigating so there has been no rush to judgement on avoidable/unavoidable.

And now to learn there is a good chance he will never step into his brown uniform again has made me disheartened. This was one of our "big" cars. I drive a P7 everyday. Just shows you how WE have to take the extra step in being the safer driver but 1 day, that may not be enough.

Leftinbuilding

I bet management was calling the hospital every 5 minutes asking when he'd be released to finish his route.

Why would you say something like this? You know it isn't true. This is a serious injury to one of ours. Let your hate go for awhile.

Last edited:

rod

Retired 22 years
Hope driver is ok ups will not want to pin this on our driver. they 100 pct will go after driver who hit him

Get well soon Mr. UPS Driver--------and rocket man I really hope you are right that they will not place any fault with the driver ---but I have seen some awful bad calls when it come to management placing blame where it wasn't deserverd.