Serious Accident, Package Car - Tolland CT. 7/16/12

LisaC1969

Thanks CT Package - Randy is my brother in law, a great person, hard worker, and seasoned UPS driver for many years. I wish these blogs would focus on positive comments and wishes to the family instead of playing the blame game to the employer. Thank you for your kind words and thanks to all who offered support, and to those who chose to land here to complain...go do it somewhere else. We are going through one of the worst crisis our family has seen. Be respectful.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Thanks Lisa for posting !!!!

Just want you to know that all the drivers Randy works with are pulling for him. This has hit us hard and I know every single driver that pulled out of the building today kept thinking about how their life can change in a few seconds. He has a long journey ahead and hope to talk to him soon.

PS - Do not be offended by some of the posts. This is a website to share info AND to vent. Sometimes, members don't realize who can actually read their posts and find disrespect

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Thanks CT Package - Randy is my brother in law, a great person, hard worker, and seasoned UPS driver for many years. I wish these blogs would focus on positive comments and wishes to the family instead of playing the blame game to the employer. Thank you for your kind words and thanks to all who offered support, and to those who chose to land here to complain...go do it somewhere else. We are going through one of the worst crisis our family has seen. Be respectful.
I agree Lisa. Our very best wishes to you and your family.

Browncafe - Heads up. Be respectful. Any further derogatory comments will be removed from this thread...

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I'm glad his father is posting on the article's forum and giving updates.

We were informed during the PCM about Randy's accident. Our center manager stayed at the hospital with his girlfriend/fiancee til 3am when he got out of his emergency surgery. This was a terrible accident and was caused by the carelessness of another driver. The State Police are still investigating so there has been no rush to judgement on avoidable/unavoidable.

And now to learn there is a good chance he will never step into his brown uniform again has made me disheartened. This was one of our "big" cars. I drive a P7 everyday. Just shows you how WE have to take the extra step in being the safer driver but 1 day, that may not be enough.

Much respect for the center manager to stay so long with the family,very very classy.

LisaC1969

Thanks Lisa for posting !!!!

Just want you to know that all the drivers Randy works with are pulling for him. This has hit us hard and I know every single driver that pulled out of the building today kept thinking about how their life can change in a few seconds. He has a long journey ahead and hope to talk to him soon.

PS - Do not be offended by some of the posts. This is a website to share info AND to vent. Sometimes, members don't realize who can actually read their posts and find disrespect

Thanks, Randy will be happy to hear of all the kind words, I will pass them on when I visit him tomorrow morning. Be safe Brown Cafe....

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I would love to know why another posters' as well as my posts were deleted from earlier today?
At what point did we violate the TOS?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Randy's father posted...Harvey Collins

2:47 pm on Tuesday, July 17, 2012

For those who asked, he was heading toward the hill. The other driver ran a stop sign. Stacy, thanks for your assistance. I can't be there for him at this moment, my wife and I live in Georgia. We were just up there a week ago. He'll probably be in the hospital at least 3 to 4 weeks, then a rehab facility.He [has] a 25% chance of losing both legs.

Randy and his father need to hire good legal council, NOW!!!
The safety and well being of many others may be at stake.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
My post was removed also, and I wished the driver well and did not say anything mean or sarcastic. I merely questioned why the company continues to send its people out vehicles that are unsafe. How is that a TOS violation?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
My post was removed also, and I wished the driver well and did not say anything mean or sarcastic. I merely questioned why the company continues to send its people out vehicles that are unsafe. How is that a TOS violation?

The Vanilla Cafe strikes again!!!
Perhaps we now know who pays for this site?
I prefer to believe it was the work of an overzealous moderator.

browned out

I am sure everyone here wishes the driver the best. We have seen this happen to many of our UPS brothers and sisters. The point is; if there is a no brainer, obvious safety improvement that can be made to keep the public and the UPS employee safer; it should be done. UPS has spent hundreds of millions of dollars repainting and rebranding every truck and plane in the fleet. UPS has spent millions on telematics, GPS, EDD, PAS, ORION and multiple other endeavors before addressing the most elementary, essential, obvious safety issues. If this driver had power steering, a high back seat, a shoulder belt or a newer safer package car, I believe he would have had much better chance to avoid or atleast minimize this "crash". It is an accident foremost not a "crash". It is more than frustrating that a company that champions safety sends us out there everyday without the basic safety features and protections we need to better our chances in any accident.
Anyhow; all of our collective prayers go out to his family and him for a complete recovery.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I am sure everyone here wishes the driver the best. We have seen this happen to many of our UPS brothers and sisters. The point is; if there is a no brainer, obvious safety improvement that can be made to keep the public and the UPS employee safer; it should be done. UPS has spent hundreds of millions of dollars repainting and rebranding every truck and plane in the fleet. UPS has spent millions on telematics, GPS, EDD, PAS, ORION and multiple other endeavors before addressing the most elementary, essential, obvious safety issues. If this driver had power steering, a high back seat, a shoulder belt or a newer safer package car, I believe he would have had much better chance to avoid or atleast minimize this "crash". It is an accident foremost not a "crash". It is more than frustrating that a company that champions safety sends us out there everyday without the basic safety features and protections we need to better our chances in any accident.
Anyhow; all of our collective prayers go out to his family and him for a complete recovery.

Extremely well said!!!

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I would love to know why another posters' as well as my posts were deleted from earlier today?

I agree !
Splozi and Indecision made posts using no brain cells

Any other post calling out the safety features of our vehicles should have stayed on

LisaC1969

Randy and his father need to hire good legal council, NOW!!!
The safety and well being of many others may be at stake.
Randy is in the care of his family now, his interests are the most important thing, but right NOW ( as you indicated above ) our main focus is his serious medical condition. Words of support and encouragement could be relayed to him through this blog, from me. I have had several PM that I am going to pass on this morning, so if anyone has anything to relay - please send it to me, I will be sure he gets every single one.
Lisa Collins (S-I-L)

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Agreed, safety is certainly at issue, mindless posting is not.
Lisa C, very well explained. And thank you for joining to keep us posted on his condition.
At times we try to keep a thread focused on the purpose. I wish the driver well and send out thoughts and prayers.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Nobody wants to offer an explanation as to why our posts were deleted?

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
I am ashamed of and very frustrated with each one of you that chose to disrespect the member of this the injured driver's family. Good lord, just start another thread. There is no reason to carry on this way in this thread, it completely sends the wrong message to his family that had respectfully asked you to take it elsewhere.

I agree Lisa. Our very best wishes to you and your family.

Browncafe - Heads up. Be respectful. Any further derogatory comments will be removed from this thread...

I posted this, you guys chose not to take it seriously.

This site was created in 1999 to show a troll on another forum that our community could create a better, more productive resource for all UPSers than his one sided UPS bashing site... your behavior is not in keeping with the purpose and spirit of the community. Especially in light of this family's very difficult situation.

Constructive dissatisfaction with UPS is welcome but this is not the appropriate thread.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Honestly, I am ashamed and very frustrated with each one of you that chose to disrespect the member of this the injured driver's family. Good lord, just start another thread. There is no reason to carry on this way in this thread, it completely sends the wrong message to his family that respectfully asked you to take it elsewhere.

I posted this, you guys chose not to take it seriously.

This site was created in 1999 to show a troll on another forum that our community could create a better, more productive resource for all UPSers than his one sided UPS bashing site... your behavior is not in keeping with the purpose and spirit of the community. Especially in light of this family's very difficult situation.

Constructive dissatisfaction with UPS is welcome but this is not the appropriate thread.

The family member didn't start the thread.
The family member joined this site and the thread after it started.
The thread didn't start as an exercise in sympathy, but rather a generic link to the story on another site.
We are all obviously concerned for the driver and his family.
I'm not sure how pointing out how outdated equipment may have exacerbated this accident is being deemed inappropriate or insensitive.
I guess in situations like this, some people hold hands and light candles while others get mad in the face of missed opportunities by a supposed "safety first" company that could have minimized the damage.
I said nothing disrespect anybody, with the notable exception of the Vanilla Cafe comment.
That was intentional.

Last edited: