Serious Career Advice

6String Expert

Ladies, and Gentlemen

I have been perusing Brown Cafe for a while and although I have learned much about your company, there are some questions specific to my situation that I would love to have candidly, yet objectively answered. I have toyed with the idea of working for UPS for some time, yet for one reason or another, I have not decided to throw my hat into the ring....until now.
Before you answer my questions, it is fair that you have a little background information on me. I'm 39 years old with an MBA and I am 80% of the way done with a second graduate degree. For the past 20 years, I have been involved in running the family business, which we recently sold, and I am looking for a new career. I realize that many of you think that I am crazy for considering a career at UPS given my background, but for some reason, I have always been interested in working for the company. I realize that many of the jobs are highly physical and fast paced in nature, and that is exactly what I am looking for as my previous career involved a lot of heavy lifting and my body is conditioned for that sort of thing. Additionally, I simply cannot sit behind a desk for any length of time as I get quite bored and restless.
I realize that the company is based on seniority and all new hires must start at the bottom doing menial labor for anemic pay before being promoted to other positions and I respect that. Fortunately, I am in a position where I can afford to take a position that does not offer much by the way of initial financial compensation (I don't need the health benefits either), and I would gladly make the short-term sacrifice for quality opportunities in the future (pension, 401k and promotional potential) and I truly like being busy all the time. I know that it will vary from hub to hub, but on average, how long does it take to get promoted and what is the best career path to follow?
I gladly welcome any advice that you guys can provide based on my situation. I have orientations scheduled for both part time package handler as well as seasonal driver helper positions. Thanks for reading, and I hope that you and your families enjoy a healthy holiday season.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Go for it ... working at UPS is much easier when you are not trapped financially.
They are probably still hiring for peak season (Thanksgiving - Christmas) right now but hurry.
UPS will not be hiring people until April or May 2013 that did not work peak season 2012.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Your location would be needed to give you a better gauge of time. Some people are at a certain hub for 3 months before they start driving and some are there 8 years.
And if you're that curious about it and can afford to give it a shot then do so. You don't know if you like playing baseball unless you give it a shot.

undies

What do you want to do within the company? If you want to go into management, I'm sure they will pick you up quickly from part-time with your qualifications. If you want to drive...that may take years.

Justaname

I say go for it. If its not for you than it's not for you, but you'll never find out until you try. Especially if your not looking to make big bucks and can afford it.

Johney

What do you want to do within the company? If you want to go into management, I'm sure they will pick you up quickly from part-time with your qualifications. If you want to drive...that may take years.
This. You most likely start as a loader and they will see how fast you pick up on the job. Then promote you to p/t sup if you do well, then there will be a good chance they will promote you to a friend/t sup with your degrees. All this will take quite some time and you will have to kiss a lot of butt in the process but I believe you are exactly the type they may be looking for nowadays for management. From what I see and hear they rarely get any full-time/hi-senior people to go into management much anymore.

Leftinbuilding

From your description, I think they would consider you "over-qualified" for most of the part time positions. I think they would fast track you to some type of management position. I have seen this happen several times.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Take the helper position---this will give you the greater insight in to what a typical driver does during the day.

After Peak is over, ask to sit down wiith the HR rep to see what options, if any, would be available to you outside of the operations division.

gingerkat

OP, I totally get where you're coming from. I understand how you want to try something different. Like Upstate said, do the driver helper job to see what it's all about.

I know you guys/gals work hard physical labor at UPS, but sitting behind a desk is hard mental labor. During our peak times I worked between 80 - 90 hours, and at first the money is good, but what's the point when you don't have time to spend it with loved ones? To me that kind of work is really unfulfilling and I'm extroverted and don't like working alone.

So OP, go for it and see if you can do it and if you even like it. Also, don't be surprised if everyone looks at you if you're off your rocker for trying. Oh, and if you're going to do this, for the love of all that is holy, stop with the education! Are you trying to get a MA in driving:happy-very:

wayfair

swollen member
I know you guys/gals work hard physical labor at UPS, but sitting behind a desk is hard mental labor. During our peak times I worked between 80 - 90 hours, and at first the money is good, but what's the point when you don't have time to spend it with loved ones?

80-90 hours??

6String Expert

Thank you for all of your responses, I truly appreciate the feedback. I'm not interested in future driving opportunities nearly as much as I am positions in management. Is it possible to get promoted to a part time supervisor from a seasonal driver helper position, or would I have to work as a package handler first? Everything that I have read on forums has indicated that I would need to be a part time package handler as the driver helper positions are just seasonal jobs. With this, and the fact that I would eventually like to be management in mind, I would imagine it is more advisable for me to forego the helper position in lieu of package handler, no?

barnyard

KTM rider
I have several friends that maintain servers, they usually put in more hours than me in any given week. They all make better money and have better career prospects, but there is also no doubt that they work hard for their money.

If I was the OP and wanted to do physical, not much thought, work, I would go milk cows. You will quickly get over it.