Service provider exchange program

DS

Fenderbender
If I was the king Arthur of ups,I would initiate a program that with which we could travel to exotic places (Youngstown Ohio?)and switch places with our fellow drivers for a week.It would be a great learning experience to see how other upsers spend thier day,and would be a good tool for understanding the pressures we all feel in our own particular jobs.
Example: I only have 65 deliveries and 20 regular pickups but it can be quite a challenge some days.My area is tight,but I get upwards to 20 oncalls every day.Could I do your route with 190 stops? Maybe,I'd love to give it a try.

Big Babooba

I think I'd like to "Work" in Bermuda for a week this year. Maybe next year I could "work" in Hawaii. Yes, that would be a grand idea!:happy2:

moreluck

golden ticket member
B.B. I was raised in Akron. Left in '75 and moved West.

Our impression back then was that Youngstown was full of gangsters & mob.. Whether that was true or not, I don't know.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
It would be amusing to get to "trade places" with a NYC driver for a few days. I would probably have a nervous breakdown on my first day in NYC just trying to find somewhere to park and dealing with all the people and crowding. That whole grid system in Manhattan where you have numbered streets going both ways would confuse the hell out of me. I'm a country boy, just going to a medium-sized city like Portland OR gets my blood pressure up.

On the flip side, it would be amusing to watch a NYC driver try to get my P-700 up a muddy gravel driveway in the dark and to see his reaction when the deer jump out in front of me or when I have to wait for a herd of goats to cross the road. Or to see him try to find a particular address when all you have to go by is 3 rusty mailboxes next to 2 unmarked driveways going up a dark mountain. Or to pull into someones driveway where men with rifles are standing there butchering a deer that they just shot.

Communication would be interesting also. People from New York (excuse me, New Yoik) do speak English...sort of....but it is a different dialect and you almost need subtitles to understand them.

I like the idea. I would love to take my man STUG for a tour of God's country where there are hills and you can breathe the air and we dont have 90 degrees with 95% humidity. Come on up, STUG!

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Delivering in a different geographic area would be an experience for sure. I used to like it when someone from the District would show up in our center for a ride along. Most of the time it was some newly promoted IE person that had never been in a rural area with deer, bear, turkey & Amish. Usually at the end of the day they complained about the rough roads and dirt.

By the way I used to drive feeders thru Youngstown(Girard), Ohio in the 70's and yes there were gangsters & the mob but they left UPS alone. I can't say the same for the boys in the hood that have no respect for a human life today.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
You guys are all too funny.
I had never been to Youngstown, before the day I started driving. It was an eye opener. I had never seen a hooker, the DEA or The FBI. When the sups told me how bad it was I saw a girl on Market st. standing at the corner, talking and chatting to every guy who stopped at the stop sign. I told my supe, "its not bad here, look..... everyone knows everyone, and they all stop to chat" He told me, looney girl, thats a hooker. :anxious:
I would like to drive out West or in west Virginia.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
If I was the king Arthur of ups,I would initiate a program that with which we could travel to exotic places (Youngstown Ohio?)and switch places with our fellow drivers for a week.

I don't think ookie would like for you to be out on the street with all those hookers.

Ms Spoken

My pick would be Grand Caymen after I had mastered Tooner's route. I wouldnt last a week on her route my mouth would get me in trouble. Remember I'm just an old country driver and where I live we shoot first and ask later.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I would like to trade routes with the driver of this P7 on the North Shore of Oahu. I couldn't believe he was wearing long pants. I wonder if I can get a surfboard rack installed on it.
Canon A40 039.jpg