Service Takes A Holiday

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I have been delivering all of my air in trace, and had late air every day since Thanksgiving. I have had so many late air, in fact, that the "x" key on my DIAD is almost worn out. In the descending hierarchy of Fail, late air is always preferable to missed stops. Once I get down below 60 hours per week then perhaps I can consider trying to get my NDA off in time, but until then I will have more "X's" than Ron Jeremy.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We also delivered air in trace yesterday-----my last NDA stop was delivered around 2pm. We were expecting late air hence the decision to dispatch the air in trace; ironically the flight with the late air was cancelled.

Many of us here can remember when it was a given that we would do all that we could to deliver our NDA on time.

Z

ZQXC

Air (here) must be delivered on time, unless it is shuttled out to us past the usual commit time. We have never left in the morning with air, under instructions to deliver in trace.

If late air is brought to us on area prior to commit, we are expected to make every effort to deliver as much of that second wave as possible before commit.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Air (here) must be delivered on time, unless it is shuttled out to us past the usual commit time. We have never left in the morning with air, under instructions to deliver in trace.

If late air is brought to us on area prior to commit, we are expected to make every effort to deliver as much of that second wave as possible before commit.

What is your commit time? Ours is 1030. We left the bldg. at 1010 yesterday. 10 minute ride to my first stop. How may NDA stops do you think I can get off in 10 minutes?

upschuck

We have never left in the morning with air, under instructions to deliver in trace.
That happens here more than it should. They do this when conditions are considered bad(for here) usually icy, or snow covered. They don't want the driver to rush, then wreck.

QKRSTKR

We also delivered air in trace yesterday-----my last NDA stop was delivered around 2pm. We were expecting late air hence the decision to dispatch the air in trace; ironically the flight with the late air was cancelled.

Many of us here can remember when it was a given that we would do all that we could to deliver our NDA on time.
But why in trace. What if your 2pm nda delivery had been waiting since 10:30? Maybe you could have delivered 2 on time, the rest before 11a.m. But the new ups is late is late.

It's not customer service. It's this will make upstate s day a bit shorter with reduced miles. That's the mentality of management.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
But why in trace. What if your 2pm nda delivery had been waiting since 10:30? Maybe you could have delivered 2 on time, the rest before 11a.m. But the new ups is late is late.

It's not customer service. It's this will make upstate s day a bit shorter with reduced miles. That's the mentality of management.
Management decides what level of service is acceptable during these type of extreme or exception conditions.
Your opinion of service is interesting but has no authority or relevance.

Remember, you are a Teamster employee with no allegiance or loyalty to UPS (may not be true for you but that is the relationship between UPS and drivers that has established itself over the last 20 years).

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Management decides what level of service is acceptable during these type of extreme or exception conditions.
Your opinion of service is interesting but has no authority or relevance.

Remember, you are a Teamster employee with no allegiance or loyalty to UPS (may not be true for you but that is the relationship between UPS and drivers that has established itself over the last 20 years).

Translation: Learn to live with the everyday hypocrisy that is UPS.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
Actually, that happened in our center in recent years while the District and Division Mgrs were on location and a driver called the ethics hot line to report this falsification.

That was the last time they directed us to play that game. 17i and 17f should swing both directions.
Hang on, are you telling me that there was a district manager in an operation? I've heard some tall tales on this site but this one takes the cake.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Translation: Learn to live with the everyday hypocrisy that is UPS.
That is a relevant and accurate assessment from a certain perspective.

Every organization in the history of mankind has had a level of hypocrisy and double standards.
Every organization in the history of mankind has had one or more several levels/groups that perceived and/or complained of hypocrisy and double standards.

I make fun of the "double standards" outcries on here because real "double standards" would only apply to differences within a class/level of employees. That is, one driver being treated differently from another driver with similar seniority.

It is a poor thought process that starts with a base condition that all levels of employees (Part-time, full-time, management, vice-president, president, etc.) have the same rules, procedures and conditions placed on them.

It is a well-known concept and reality that the person that makes the rules gets to define to whom the rules apply to and at a given time and scenario.

For instance, a part-time Teamster employee can be absent and even no-show far many more times than a driver could be regardless of what the contract specifies.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
It is a well-known concept and reality that the person that makes the rules gets to define to whom the rules apply to and at a given time and scenario.

True enough.

However...from a professional and ethical standpoint, the person who makes the rules (commonly referred to as the "leader") also has an obligation to set an example for his subordinates to follow. Ethics are ethics and honesty is honesty, regardless of one's place in a hierarchy.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
True enough.

However...from a professional and ethical standpoint, the person who makes the rules (commonly referred to as the "leader") also has an obligation to set an example for his subordinates to follow. Ethics are ethics and honesty is honesty, regardless of one's place in a hierarchy.
You may see that when you die and go to heaven.
I'm sort of skeptical myself ... heaven will probably be a lot a lot like life.

upscat

I doubt that was a consideration in the decision, as we were once again given free gratis to use emergency conditions for any unattempted stops, in conjunction with an abbreviated lineup due to us "being light" today.

I figure the customers in the last three trailers; as a whole, were no more satisfied than the days other ground package customers, but certainly more satisfied than our "premium" customers.

which customer would you have pissed off if you had to make that decision?