Service Takes A Holiday

oldngray

nowhere special
rolls-down-hill.jpg

Mack Grant

I just don't know.
I just remember, a few years ago, with the Enron thing and others, a quote: "Don't think you're too big to fail".

Haha not even remotely similar.
You're one of the young kids who thinks anything successful is some kind of cheat because of the internet bubble and then the housing bubble.
I know a retired DM who told me that during the recent recession that UPS as a corporation saw "the jaws of death" and it scared them into changing the business into what it is today.

raceanoncr

You're one of the young kids who thinks anything successful is some kind of cheat because of the internet bubble and then the housing bubble.
I know a retired DM who told me that during the recent recession that UPS as a corporation saw "the jaws of death" and it scared them into changing the business into what it is today.

I'm "...one of the young kids who thinks anything is successful....". Yeah, sorry, I AM one of the newbies here. Just lost my place, I guess.

You're right. I ain't seen nuthin here. I have no knowledge of any of the workings of this "what is is today". thing.

Carry on..."New Member".

bbsam

Staff member
And yet you mock the competition?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You are wrong and right.
race is a long time BC member and a retired UPS driver.

UPS understands it is in a death spiral with labor costs compared to the competition.
UPS is making money now and they have to diversify into areas where labor and other costs are comparable to the competition.
At some point, UPS will let FedEx Ground take away market share when the margins start to get negative.
Also, the changes are getting started but have a long way to go.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
He was directed to run the air in trace but decided to run the air first (which I happen to agree with and applaud him for doing the right thing for his customers) and then go back and start the route all over again. I was wondering if any of the air customers appreciated the effort or if they would have been OK just as long as they got it the next day.

That's where I would do exactly what management told me to do. Is it right ------no. I believe in giving no ammunition to come back to me. I just say he told me to run trace. So that's what I did.. We are not authorized to make decisions. Those days are long gone

Retiredmgr

Management decides what level of service is acceptable during these type of extreme or exception conditions.
Your opinion of service is interesting but has no authority or relevance.

Remember, you are a Teamster employee with no allegiance or loyalty to UPS (may not be true for you but that is the relationship between UPS and drivers that has established itself over the last 20 years).

CharleyHustle

We've already been instructed that we are not to use "emergency conditions" when sheeting any stop, under any condition. Driver must contact sup who decides what the stop in question should be sheeted as.

After a foot or more of snow earlier this week, I heard there were centers in our district that were ECing thousands of packages on Tuesday. I don't know if my boss can answer the phone that many times in a day. I mean, when would he get to pee?

oldngray

nowhere special
After a foot or more of snow earlier this week, I heard there were centers in our district that were ECing thousands of packages on Tuesday. I don't know if my boss can answer the phone that many times in a day. I mean, when would he get to pee?
Depends. Half the managers wear them anyway.

Notretiredyet

We've been ECing pkgs all week, if the road isn't plowed most drivers wont take the chance anymore. If a tow truck is called you get charged with an accident, so now most use the EC where in days past we delivered it even if it meant putting the chains on. Used to go thru lots of chains delivering unplowed subdivisions, now we just sheet em EC till the plow shows up. But that was also when dispatch was adjusted to conditions, and on really bad days we were told to be in by dark.

C

chuchu

Hang on, are you telling me that there was a district manager in an operation? I've heard some tall tales on this site but this one takes the cake.
They were there for the induction of two drivers into the circle of honor.

They made the call of running air on trace and the center manager said it was their call.

Tall tales? That's management's specialty.

C

chuchu

Different without a doubt.
UPS was in a regulated industry 35 years ago.
FedEx was fledgling company only 5 years old.
RPS/FedEx Ground/Home did not exist 35 years ago.

Very different.
And honesty was a respected commodity.

C

chuchu

He was directed to run the air in trace but decided to run the air first (which I happen to agree with and applaud him for doing the right thing for his customers) and then go back and start the route all over again. I was wondering if any of the air customers appreciated the effort or if they would have been OK just as long as they got it the next day.
If you ran your air in trace you would be working as directed.

If you delivered them on time and had missed pieces ...not "ECable" ...due to disobeying the sup's order how much are you willing to gamble on not being taken out of service? Your call.

C

chuchu

And honesty was a respected commodity.
Let me clarify: We (newer employees in the time period of roughly twenty years ago) believed that honesty was expected across the board and the loss prevention folks seemed to react aggressively against anything less than that "standard".

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Let me clarify: We (newer employees in the time period of roughly twenty years ago) believed that honesty was expected across the board and the loss prevention folks seemed to react aggressively against anything less than that "standard".
I question whether the erosion has increased more at UPS than in society as a whole.

C

chuchu

I question whether the erosion has increased more at UPS than in society as a whole.
Absolutely correct, in my opinion.

Doesn't make it right, tho.

If the company expects the hourly to be "above reproach" in ethical behavior, the management HAS to lead by example or it breeds disrespect.

It was always easier to make lasting behavioral changes by appealing to conscience.

But, it's really difficult to hold others accountable when you're not accountable.

Ounce of prevention.....