settle a debate on new sick law

DRporch

so michigan is passed a law stating all employers have to provide 40hrs sick pay 32 hrs unpaid leave. goes effect in march

my friends and i are having a debate they say ups doesnt have to follow this because we have a contract.

while i say its the same as if ups said minimum wage is now $5 state law doesnt matter.

what do you think?

i cant see them being allowed to bypass laws implemented by the government

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
so michigan is passed a law stating all employers have to provide 40hrs sick pay 32 hrs unpaid leave. goes effect in march

my friends and i are having a debate they say ups doesnt have to follow this because we have a contract.

while i say its the same as if ups said minimum wage is now $5 state law doesnt matter.

what do you think?

That will depend on the language of the law as it was written. However it is very common for these types of laws to favor whatever most benefits the employee. The sole exception to that rule here in Oregon is meal periods since the law specifically differs to a specific article in the union contract should it exist (8 hours instead of 6 hours first lunch period).

542thruNthru

what do you think?

California has a sick pay law also. They pay for 2 sick days but like most laws. A CBA is part of the exemption. So we don't get those 2 extra paid sick days.

Look for any exemption in the new law and that will be your answer.

DRporch

from what i read we have a zero exemption rule. even if you already have a paid sick leave those employers must follow

542thruNthru

from what i read we have a zero exemption rule. even if you already have a paid sick leave those employers must follow

Then I would have to agree with you. UPS in Michigan will have to follow Michigan laws.

In California the law says after 10 hours we get a 10 min paid break. A CBA is not a exemption so we take one and can not be discipline for it.

542thruNthru

what do you think?

You might want to read this. If I'm reading this right. You'll get 72 hours of paid sick time.

Michigan Passes Paid Sick Leave Law | Disability, Leave & Health Management Blog

DRporch

their entire argument is based on ups being a CBU. which they state if the law changes ups doesnt have to adjust until next contract voting. cant find anything backing their argument up or mine so i left it be. seems very illegal. doesnt make sense how theyd be able to do that

watdaflock?

what do you think?

Your friend is right.

thecamel

Waiting to put the re in front of tired
Ouch, there's the rub,

The act officially takes effect in March 2019, unless the employer has employees subject to a collective bargaining agreement (CBA). In that instance, the act applies to employees subject to the CBA as of the date the CBA expires, regardless of any statement that the CBA will continue in full force until a future date or event (such as the execution of a new CBA).

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Not covered:

• Private employees covered by an effective collective bargaining agreement;