Severance Pay

542thruNthru

Happened to my sister-in-law twice. She made out good both times as she was planning on leaving both jobs anyway to move.
Same with my wife a couple times. She even had a new job and was leaving in two weeks and they gave her 6 weeks severance. Only issue was she had to finish out her time so she called the new job and asked to start 3 days later.

Re-Raise

Same with my wife a couple times. She even had a new job and was leaving in two weeks and they gave her 6 weeks severance. Only issue was she had to finish out her time so she called the new job and asked to start 3 days later.
My wife was HR director at a plant that made CDs. When music went digital, they closed the plant and she got 3 weeks pay for every year she had been there. She had 21 years in at the time.

They also gave her a 20k bonus to stay through the process of terminating everyone.

Shiftless

My son works for a company based in Europe and it is a global company founded in 1873. Their HR dept. when they did a layoff here 5 years ago gave every employee a minimum of three months and more pay if you needed to be retrained, full health insurance, and would rigorously help find you a job.

quad decade guy

My wife was HR director at a plant that made CDs. When music went digital, they closed the plant and she got 3 weeks pay for every year she had been there. She had 21 years in at the time.

They also gave her a 20k bonus to stay through the process of terminating everyone.
Curious.....why?

Why would the company spend all that money? No future. Just close it? Business's do this all the time. One day open....closed overnight.

She was fortunate....sort of?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Curious.....why?

Why would the company spend all that money? No future. Just close it? Business's do this all the time. One day open....closed overnight.

Ever heard of doing the right thing just because it’s the right thing?
I doubt you understand the concept

Re-Raise

Curious.....why?

The plant started out making vinyl, 8 tracks, cassettes and finally CDs. They employed over a thousand people at one point.

Music is all downloaded now.

It was a great company to work for and treated their employees well even to the end.

They offered my wife a position in LA at the end, but there was NO chance we were moving our family out there. That job has probably been eliminated now too.

She took a job at a local college and really likes it too.

rod

Retired 22 years
The plant started out making vinyl, 8 tracks, cassettes and finally CDs. They employed over a thousand people at one point.

Music is all downloaded now.

It was a great company to work for and treated their employees well even to the end.

They offered my wife a position in LA at the end, but there was NO chance we were moving our family out there. That job has probably been eliminated now too.

She took a job at a local college and really likes it too.
This just proves my point that not ALL companies need Unions---only the ones who treat their employees like crap.

Karma...

Thats true....These days the governments with all its laws protecting people have taken the place of unions....Its virtually impossible to decertify unions so they will continue to exist as a competing company.