Share the road!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
http://cbs4.com/local/cyclist.bicyclist.rickenbacker.2.1431731.html

This guy was out for a nice Sunday ride when he was hit by a motorist. This guy will not be going home to his family. He will not be there to watch his children grow into adults. The driver of this car will live to drive another day. How sad that this situation happened.

Driver's, please be aware of your surroundings. Your vehicle's weigh much more than a bicycle. Please take this fact into consideration when approaching bicycles or pedestrian's, and give them a wide berth. Remember, anything can happen unexpectedly, so please Share The Road. Though I did not know this cyclist, I still feel the pain of losing someone that did what I love to do. May God rest his soul and bring peace to his loved ones.
cyclist1_1.jpg
cyclist3_1.jpg

I used to ride 20-25 miles a day when I was younger. Back before everybody had cellphones and such. Now I wont be caught on a bike on the roads I used to ride.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Terrible tragedy for this man and his family.
I don't know, nor can I tell from the pictures if this is the case, but I often question the judgement of some of these cyclist in their route choices.
You can contend that they have the right to ride on the roads with the rest of the traffic, and in theory, they are right.
What conciliation is that to that guy lying on the road broken?
Not much.
I think many show poor judgement trying to ride on busy multi-lane roads.
Much like the little old lady that drives 20 mph less than the rest of traffic, they become vulnerable.
Motorcycles that can keep up with the flow of traffic are dangerous enough, but bicycles may be even more dangerous when rode in traffic.
Steve be careful and pick your route wisely.

John19841

I don't know, nor can I tell from the pictures if this is the case, but I often question the judgement of some of these cyclist in their route choices.
You can contend that they have the right to ride on the roads with the rest of the traffic, and in theory, they are right.
Not much.
Much like the little old lady that drives 20 mph less than the rest of traffic, they become vulnerable.
Motorcycles that can keep up with the flow of traffic are dangerous enough, but bicycles may be even more dangerous when rode in traffic.

I completely agree with you. While I have no problem with people choosing to ride a bike on a low traffic, wide road...Well, I just want to know when did everyone suddenly become the next Lance Armstrong. I mean, everywhere I look now there's people riding complete with their spandex and all. I agree that they have the right to ride if they want, but when did it become acceptable for them to ride in the middle of the road?

I can't say what happened to this guy, but I do know that I see enough deaths waiting to happen as it is. Everyone knows the 99.9% of the people on the road don't pay attention, so everyone who rides a bike needs to use some common sense. YIELD to traffic, just like we're taught.

All I'm saying is that if we're supposed to share the road, then so are you.

A

anonymous6

I used to ride 20-25 miles a day when I was younger. Back before everybody had cellphones and such. Now I wont be caught on a bike on the roads I used to ride.

i agree. otherwise you have to have eyes in the back of your head and that may not save you.

even the bike paths are dangerous with scantily glad split tails.

drewed

Shankman
Steve, its a two way road, the bicyclist needs to respect as well, ive seen numerous riders breeze through stops cut in and out of traffic, etc

Steve, do you know the details of this accident? It appears that the road/bridge has a bike lane. Was the rider in that lane when he was hit or was he is the motor vehicle lane. It also appears that the impact was centered on the car.
My heart goes out to everyone involved. Be careful out there buddy, it aint a safe world.

bluehdmc

What's really sick is the story where the driver of the car, "paused briefly and then drove away with the bicycle stuck to the car"!
Regardless of whether or not the bicyclist contributed to the accident the driver of the car should spend a few years in jail for driving away.
I have seen bicyclists ride 2 abreast taking the whole lane and where I live most roads are only 2 lanes. You come up behind them blow the horn and they ignore you, or give you the universal 1 fingered sign of greeting.

Not much.

I completely agree with you. While I have no problem with people choosing to ride a bike on a low traffic, wide road...Well, I just want to know when did everyone suddenly become the next Lance Armstrong. I mean, everywhere I look now there's people riding complete with their spandex and all. I agree that they have the right to ride if they want, but when did it become acceptable for them to ride in the middle of the road?

I can't say what happened to this guy, but I do know that I see enough deaths waiting to happen as it is. Everyone knows the 99.9% of the people on the road don't pay attention, so everyone who rides a bike needs to use some common sense. YIELD to traffic, just like we're taught.

All I'm saying is that if we're supposed to share the road, then so are you.
Nothing scares me more than driving over that hill and next thing
you are smack dab in the middle of the Tour De France. Ten Lance Armstrongs and five Greg Lemond and a couple fat guys going 25 miles in a 55 it sucks bad and almost leaves a streak in my shorts.

rod

Retired 22 years
Nothing scares me more than driving over that hill and next thing
you are smack dab in the middle of the Tour De France. Ten Lance Armstrongs and five Greg Lemond and a couple fat guys going 25 miles in a 55 it sucks bad and almost leaves a streak in my shorts.

Watch out for those 2 fat guys.

[video=youtube;EHSGvIuupOE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHSGvIuupOE[/video]

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Not trying to take focus away from the message of this post but how many of you notice more and more electric scooters on the road? These elderly people come out from between parked cars and use bike lanes instead of the sidewalk. Talk about taking your life into your own hands.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Not trying to take focus away from the message of this post but how many of you notice more and more electric scooters on the road? These elderly people come out from between parked cars and use bike lanes instead of the sidewalk. Talk about taking your life into your own hands.
I've passed them on my bike before. Some of them even use the sidewalk here. I think people need to be re-educated as far as road rules. Sidewalks are for walking and roads are for vehicular traffic, which includes bikes and scooters. People driving need to pay attention to driving and not to the latest news they're getting on their cell phones or whatever other electronic devices one may have. I guarantee that some sort of distraction is why this guy lost his life. We need to be more aware of our surroundings as we drive, bike, run and walk. Let's be safe out there!

Ghost in the Darkness

Steve, its a two way road, the bicyclist needs to respect as well, ive seen numerous riders breeze through stops cut in and out of traffic, etc

I see a lot of the same things out my way. It seems like 99% of the time cyclist don't think they need to obey the same rules of the road like stop signs. Also there are mennonites who also ride along the side of the road weaving in and out taking up 6 ft of room. We motorist need to be extra careful around them because it seems that they have little concern about their own safety. I just wish the law enforcement would crackdown on that kind of stuff making the roads safer for us all.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I see a lot of the same things out my way. It seems like 99% of the time cyclist don't think they need to obey the same rules of the road like stop signs. Also there are mennonites who also ride along the side of the road weaving in and out taking up 6 ft of room. We motorist need to be extra careful around them because it seems that they have little concern about their own safety. I just wish the law enforcement would crackdown on that kind of stuff making the roads safer for us all.
I totally agree with you. Cyclists must obey the same road rules as drivers of cars/trucks. Motor vehicles must watch for cyclists and expect the unexpected. Very sound words GitD.