Sheeting damages as missed

canoworms

In my center we just did the "how to sheet damages" training in the DIAD. The training clearly stated that damages found on car were to be sheeted as missed. Today I found a damaged package and sheeted it as per the training. My center manager messaged me and instructed me to sheet as future. I refused. Later in the day I received another message saying I was to sheet as future. I refused. I am a 23 year steward an am excited to see what the center manager has to say for himself tomorrow. I predict nothing. I will never put myself in the position of defending myself against training that I have completed. You should'nt either.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Yeah we had the training also. Why even have the damages option if we can't sheet damages as damages. Oh we'll work as instructed.

canoworms

I may be a little anal retentive but I write every training I do in the DIAD down in my daily work journal. I always cover myself. You never know when you might get a new mgmt. team in and they have no idea what has gone on for the past 25 years!

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Had the same issue last week when I had a damage. One of the evening sups asked why I sheeted a package on my route as missed, I refered him to the training we just took the previous day. Nothing was ever said, but then again I've also documented sups telling me to sheet known addresses as NSN to avoid having a misload/missed piece, to which they did a 180 after asking which sup was instructing me to falsify documents. All of course communicated through the DIAD for proper documentation.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Sheet as missed and see what happens. Open up that Canoworms
What are they going to do, fire you for doing what the training said? I don't know any BA who wouldn't loan you the keys to his Cadillac and take a one week trip to the beach on UPS's dime, if they'd be that stupid as to terminate you.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I'm glad you posted this thread. I considered posting essentially the same thing the other day. A couple days ago after completing the diad training on how to properly handle damages I found a package in my truck before leaving the building that looked like it had been through a war. The box was not "tape-able" and it appeared contents were missing. I brought it to a package sup and he told me to bring it to the customer and let them decide. I told him that the training we had just had the day before instructed us to not bring it to the customer if discovered before leaving and that I didn't feel comfortable with it, but would do what he told me to. He replied with,"Oh I know you will."

The business customer shook his head when he saw the box. I let him take out the invoice and try to do an inventory. The main pieces were there but looked like it was missing the accompanying hardware (bolts/nuts, etc). He ended up signing for it and the vibe I got was he was accepting it out of loyalty to me so I explained that it was fine by me if he refused it. He was silent for about 10 seconds and said ,"It's okay I guess."

This should never have been brought to the business for delivery. Such a good example of the unethical actions of my leadership team. Man if I ever broke rules like they do I'd be in the unemployment line.

browned out

In my center we just did the "how to sheet damages" training in the DIAD. The training clearly stated that damages found on car were to be sheeted as missed. Today I found a damaged package and sheeted it as per the training. My center manager messaged me and instructed me to sheet as future. I refused. Later in the day I received another message saying I was to sheet as future. I refused. I am a 23 year steward an am excited to see what the center manager has to say for himself tomorrow. I predict nothing. I will never put myself in the position of defending myself against training that I have completed. You should'nt either.

You should have worked as directed. In our district; you must work as directed unless that direction is a safety issue. Do what your sup says, document it, and then question it to their superior. Refusing to work as directed will get you discharged. I have been instructed to DR businesses on a 3 day ride in their mail slots and I did. I then brought it up with the superiors and it was corrected.
Bottom line Work as Directed

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n

You should have worked as directed. In our district; you must work as directed unless that direction is a safety issue. Do what your sup says, document it, and then question it to their superior. Refusing to work as directed will get you discharged. I have been instructed to DR businesses on a 3 day ride in their mail slots and I did. I then brought it up with the superiors and it was corrected.
By sheeting as missed you are working as directed, trained, by the methods, and as such are covered. I didn't go in the training menu on my own, answer questions, and complete corporate directed policies testing on my own. Management instructed me to do so. If management wants us to disregard what we have been trained to do according to UPS policy, then written instructions need to be handed out to all employees effected, informing us to ignore what DIAD training we received and explain how they want it done, in a Prestart Communication Meeting.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

You cant get fired for refusing to work as directed if the directions you are being given are contradictory and mutually exclusive of other directions you have been given. You are being told to do two completely opposite things, so no matter what choice you make it will be the wrong one. I would file an Art 37 grievance for over-supervision and coercion, thereby putting them in a position where they will be forced to explain and defend their instructions in an open forum. Whats going on here is actually quite simple; missed packages look bad on the report, your management team doesnt want to look bad on the report, and they are instructing you to falsify your delivery records so that they wont look bad on the report. If the Loss Prevention dogs ever showed up and started sniffing around, my guess is that your management team would immediately suffer a convenient "loss of memory" in regards to the instructions they gave you for incorrectly sheeting those packages, leaving you to have to explain why you failed to follow the DIAD training that you had been given.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If every missed in every building was legitimately sheeted as such corporate would crap their pants.

Think they'd give the preload time to fix the problem?

I think the only logical choice would be to cut the preloads allotted time to help pay for all the missed.

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
I have a damage pkg right now on car and I sent a message asking the center if they wanted me to sheet it as missed per training, I received two weeks ago. The message the center sent back was to sheet as damage. I will take pic of the message for evidence.

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
Pic of the message to sheet as damage
image.jpg

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I don't miss the DIAD IV's with their ABC key. I'm used to texting on my phone and stuff so the DIAD V isn't so bad...I can't use it as a chew toy though like the IV's...either way, sheeting something as missed shows up on a report that no one wants to be on. I'd work as directed and keep some evidence on you I guess.

MORDNEDS

A damaged package is a missed package as you are missing the delivery or customer visibility is lost, and if it is delivered customers get angry. Any other disposition is an integrity issue. Yeah, my report may show that I have a missed but this is normally how the conversation goes: "why did your driver have missed packages?" "It was damaged" "Oh, have a good day"

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
A damaged package is a missed package as you are missing the delivery or customer visibility is lost, and if it is delivered customers get angry. Any other disposition is an integrity issue. Yeah, my report may show that I have a missed but this is normally how the conversation goes: "why did your driver have missed packages?" "It was damaged" "Oh, have a good day"

You need to convince the rest of your compatriots to do the same. What is so bad about being honest?