shift transfer issue

bac1981

i have worked at the salt lake city hub since 2002 i transfered from the night sort to twilight about a year ago recently an irreg skill spot was available a guy with two years is now about to get the position and im told my seniority date is less then his cause it started over at my transfer date. I"ve talked to stewards in my hub and they don't know if thats true and i can't get a straight answer. I was hoping someone on here could help.

menotyou

bella amicizia
You didn't change buildings. so you didn't lose seniority. Tell your steward to learn the contract. Pg. 64 Art 22 sect 4. Grieve it if need be. Take your contract and a knowledgeable steward with you into your supervisors office. If it doesn't work, the day he is assigned, grieve.
Sect 6 of same article tells of building transfer seniority. You stayed in same building. Good luck.

steward71

Sorry I posted wrong and gave you the wrong info. the last post is correct, you did not transfer to another building just shifts the company is dead wrong. your stewards should know this. Again sorry I did read your post right. Good luck. Menotyou is correct meaning last post.

menotyou

bella amicizia
The company is correct about this issue. National Master Agreement in Article 22 Section 6 Part-Time Emplyee Transfer:
"(d) Company seniority shall be retained for the purpose of number of weeks of vacation, and number of holidays in accordance wiht the appilcate Supplement at the new location." Meaning under the Master your seniority is all for the listed as stated but if your area supplement says something else then it may help you. Good luck.

You are wrong. Better re-read that contract of yours as I am reading the Master.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I've known PTs to make deals switching buildings and not losing company seniority. ( Same Local)

It depends on who you are and if they like you, basically.

However, different sort in same building is an obvious "Yes, you keep your seniority"

bac1981

I went to whom i was told was the most knowledgeable steward on the shift wich is also a full time combo he told me to write a letter for the position and turn it in to HR which i did then the shift manager told him to read page 210 of the contract not sure if its the same everywere but its 210 article 2 section 2 seniority lists it states there shall be a separate seniority list (by classification) by sort operation for all employees covered herein. seniority shall prevail in all layoffs and rehires. when an employee moves from one seniority list to another separate seniority list then his/her seniority date for vacation selection, layoff, rehire, and bidding, if appropriate on the list to which he/she transferred, shall be the date of transferto new position. all other benefits to apply as per company seniority. so the steward agrees they are right and my new seniority is the date of transfer and thers nothin i can do.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I could be wrong, but I think you are getting the shaft. Call or visit your local hall today and speak with your Business Agent. And you want a copy of your contract, which your BA can mail you.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I went to whom i was told was the most knowledgeable steward on the shift wich is also a full time combo he told me to write a letter for the position and turn it in to HR which i did then the shift manager told him to read page 210 of the contract not sure if its the same everywere but its 210 article 2 section 2 seniority lists it states there shall be a separate seniority list (by classification) by sort operation for all employees covered herein. seniority shall prevail in all layoffs and rehires. when an employee moves from one seniority list to another separate seniority list then his/her seniority date for vacation selection, layoff, rehire, and bidding, if appropriate on the list to which he/she transferred, shall be the date of transferto new position. all other benefits to apply as per company seniority. so the steward agrees they are right and my new seniority is the date of transfer and thers nothin i can do.

What region/ contract supplement?

That would make sense - and I think the SW region might have language like that, just a guess though. I have read the whole seniority transfer debate before, it varies greatly by region.

UPSGUY72

Than you run into the problem that they only have to allow so many shift transfer a year. LIke the other have said rules vary local to local and building to building and person to person.

If you think you have a case file a grievance the only thing that can happen is that it's get turned down.

washington57

your manager is dead wrong. you are in the western supplement. it wouldn't matter if you changed shifts you could have bid from the night sort to the twilight ireg driver if you wanted to.

bac1981

I got myself a copy of the contract at the end pages 209 to 227 are ups sort agreement joint council no.3 (montana, utah, idaho) this is were it has the statement i mentioned above but right after that paragraph it says to refer to article 4 section 2b of the western region supplemental ups agreement so i believe the the paragraph stated above is meaning when you transfer list such as part time to full time or package car to feeders but im no steward so what do i know i also got the phone number for the president of my local union hall off http://www.teamsterslocal222.org/ called and left message no return yet anyways my steward said i can file and see what happens like upsguy72 says also washington57 is correct but the stewards at my hub suck cause thats who i asked in the first place about transfering but didnt tell me i could bid on a prefered position not to mention this whole seniority issue...... thank you guy for the info :)

bac1981

So after i finaly talked to my BA. my senoritiy is changed to the transfer date. for bidding on all jobs except full time positions this should apply to utah idaho and montana sucks. I did complain that it would be nice when someone asks a steward how to transfer they would tell them they loss some senority rights or make a transfer form you sign agreeing to the condition. not just allowing someone to transfer unaware of this. least that can be done after all we do pay dues