Shippers made billions of holiday deliveries - but some arrived late

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Shippers made billions of holiday deliveries - but some arrived late - Chattanooga Times Free Press

UPS, FedEx, the U.S. Postal Service and other carriers pressed through a record crush of holiday shipments to deliver most packages in time for Christmas — but more than 2 million parcels did not arrive before the big day, according to new data.

Logistics data firm ShipMatrix said the on-time delivery rate for UPS was 97.6 percent for packages scheduled for delivery between Dec. 20 and 26, while FedEx came in at 96.5 percent and the Postal Service at 94.7 percent.

Because of the huge volumes of packages being moved, even those small percentages of delayed deliveries can affect millions of packages.

oldngray

nowhere special
I could have registered free. Too much trouble. And don’t want to. Lol.
Logistics data firm ShipMatrix said the on-time delivery rate for UPS was 97.6 percent for packages scheduled for delivery between Dec. 20 and 26, while FedEx came in at 96.5 percent and the Postal Service at 94.7 percent.

Because of the huge volumes of packages being moved, even those small percentages of delayed deliveries can affect millions of packages.

It's still better than many feared during a peak period that had unprecedented holiday season demand piled on top of pandemic home deliveries and urgent vaccine shipments. Shipping firms delivered more than 3 billion packages throughout the full peak holiday period, which typically starts the day after Thanksgiving.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

It's still better than many feared during a peak period that had unprecedented holiday season demand piled on top of pandemic home deliveries and urgent vaccine shipments. Shipping firms delivered more than 3 billion packages throughout the full peak holiday period, which typically starts the day after Thanksgiving.
Oh, that’s not bad. They just posted the facts and no accusations. Good for them.

rod

Retired 22 years
How was the post office even remotely close to 95%?
From my experiences the USPS does an excellent job of delivering stuff in a timely manor. We order lots of stuff and like I've said before if we order 10 things 6 of them will come FedEx Ground, 3 via USPS and one by UPS.

DriverNerd

From my experiences the USPS does an excellent job of delivering stuff in a timely manor. We order lots of stuff and like I've said before if we order 10 things 6 of them will come FedEx Ground, 3 via USPS and one by UPS.
I agree that most of the time the USPS does a good enough job, but this year I can't believe they delivered close to 95% on time. Most things were taking weeks to get to their destinations. Most items I had received from the USPS this year took 2-3 times longer than normal to arrive. My dad's christmas card to me (nothing fancy/in no hurry) took 12 days to get from Florida to Minnesota. I still got everything I ordered in good condition. I wasn't upset at the transit time, I understand the reason.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
We understand the difficulties of packages in a timely manner because we work for the shipping company. Other people are too dumb to realize it and let that privilege of I paid I want my stuff now set in.