Shipping beer to Canada

HelpUPS

Shipping alcohol isn't illegal it depends on the state your in. In Ma Fed Ex can ship alcohol but UPS can't. If you go to CT UPS can ship alcohol.

Yeah I am aware of that and I generally have no problems shipping in the states. Thats why I made the post, because I am shipping to CAN for the first time and just wanted a little advice. Not trolling, I am actually a little shocked at the backlash.

DS

Fenderbender
Yeah I am aware of that and I generally have no problems shipping in the states. Thats why I made the post, because I am shipping to CAN for the first time and just wanted a little advice. Not trolling, I am actually a little shocked at the backlash.
Same here HelpUPS....who gives a crap if you want to send beer to Canada.
I suggest fedex,just lie about the contents and pack it well...call it samples

satellitedriver

HelpUPS,
You are shipping coal to Newcastle.
If you have an honest business, sell it the honest way.
Tariffs and taxes are just the cost of doing business internationally.
I drink beer and liquors imported from around the world.
If they can do it legally, so can you.

HelpUPS

Sorry, domestic beer pales in comparison to Canucky beer.

I assume that when you say domestic beer you mean the likes of coors/miller, budweiser, etc, and when you say Canadian beer you mean Molson (which is actually part owned by Coors), Moosehead or Labatt. If thats the case, you can take them all for yourself, or throw them out. All crap beer anyway. Now if you meant Unibroue or Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel, then I would agree that Canada has some breweries that stand up to US brews. But still, the likes of Russian River, Three Floyds, Founders, Goose Island, Lost Abbey, Bells, Surly...etc on and on...are some of the best beer on Earth. Unfortunately those beers have limited area releases and it has created huge networks of trading. Its fun and it is responsible, and I am sorry that it causes problems with UPS, Fedex or whatever.

klein

Für Meno :)
Anyways, you'll need to contact the aglc in Alberta (aglc.ca), and find out the tariffs. This would only be for Alberta. Every province has their own liqour control board.

If the beer is cheap enough, I could even put it in the retail market for you, since I work at a liqour store and could order it.

Maybe that could be my next venture, and market it for you ?

P

pickup

Actually, in the first few posts of this thread, you saw a backlash where it was actually inside jokes against Klein popping up. I don't think you have been hit too hard at all.

Heres' the issue, is this a business or once in a while thing you are going to do? I think everyone here has avoided rules at one point or another in their lives but to repeatedly break rules means one is going to get caught eventually. So in your case, are you prepared to lose the booze if found out? Are you prepared for any criminal or monetary penalty that might come your way if caught( I don't know if there are any, but you should find out)? With all that uncertainty, might it be better to do it legitimately?

HelpUPS

Actually, in the first few posts of this thread, you saw a backlash where it was actually inside jokes against Klein popping up. I don't think you have been hit too hard at all.

Heres' the issue, is this a business or once in a while thing you are going to do? I think everyone here has avoided rules at one point or another in their lives but to repeatedly break rules means one is going to get caught eventually. So in your case, are you prepared to lose the booze if found out? Are you prepared for any criminal or monetary penalty that might come your way if caught( I don't know if there are any, but you should find out)? With all that uncertainty, might it be better to do it legitimately?

I have already decided I will no longer ship alcohol to Canada, its far too much a pain in the ass with customs (the process has already started). So this is a one time thing. I am not concerned about criminal penalties, I really just want the package to get through all the customs bs. I am prepared to lose it of course, that is always a danger.

Is it better to do it legitimately? Theres no way I know of to do this. The beer I trade is not available on any shelf in the world except maybe one day a year. There is no chance of having someone order it for me in Canada from a distributor. I suppose I could pay someone with a license to ship it for me, but I have no clue what that would cost, and the customs fees would probably also be ridiculous at that point when trying to declare the value of these beers. All in all no its not worth it to go legit for a single shipment when already the regular shipping fees match the cost of some of the beer.

HelpUPS

And suddenly I also cannot make posts without moderator approval.... is that for this thread only and effects everyone, or my account entirely because of this post?