Shop Steward

DoctorBrown1742

The 1742 UPS Guy
So recently A union rep came to work and talked to me about becoming a shop steward for the preload shift. Does it pay more? Is it something I should pursue. As of now we do not have a working steward on our shift. Its pretty much a free for all for management. Any ideas??? Suggestions? Just to put this out there, I'm a Student at my local university. Would it interfere with my studies?

ManInBrown

It does not pay more but I'm almost positive you pay no dues, and you get to start at an earlier time every day to discuss with management the problems of the day before.

Over 70

Do you have an interest in advocating for your fellow workers? Are you skilled at negotiating and building relationships with people despite differences? Cool, level-headed, rational person? If not, I wouldn't do it.

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

No extra pay and lots of screaming whining children to listen to. Go to school and wait till you only have ur own children. The union guy needs anyone who will say yes to the job.

Last edited by a moderator:

El Correcto

god is dead
There's plenty of extra pay, when a lower seniority guy brings you a $ grievance, go "investigate" it further then put your name on it. Neat little trick the shop stewards in my building do. You get the money, they get the heat.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
I wanna be a steward because the one in my center is a spineless coward. He makes deals with the center manager instead of defending us...he's off by 3 everyday.

DoctorBrown1742

The 1742 UPS Guy
Do you have an interest in advocating for your fellow workers? Are you skilled at negotiating and building relationships with people despite differences? Cool, level-headed, rational person? If not, I wouldn't do it.
I do have good leadership skills. I also feel like I could gain some experience out of it.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
IMG_1998.GIF
if true, why not think about management?

your schooling will mean something there, the work is more interesting, and the promotion potential is theoretically limitless