Shop stewards

Ouch

Go to your ba and settle it with your local. Im a steward and I pay dues. Why is it that people that dont think their steward does a good enough job or they claim they kiss managements butt come on here and complain? Have you talked to your steward and expressed your feelings to them about the job you believe their doing or not doing? Do you attend the union meetings at your local? Are you willing to run to make a difference? What are you willing to do to make a difference other than come on here and air your disgust? Not trying to jump on you but so many people come on here and gripe about their steward or local, but they are not willing to do what it takes to make a change. Its your union. Be a solution and not the problem.

oldngray

nowhere special
Our stewards don't pay dues but its kind of a reward from the local for their service. Small money matter and never been an issue (although the assistant stewards still pay dues).

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There are some locals where the stewards don't pay dues and others where their dues are refunded.

Any steward who is doing the job solely for the free dues is clearly doing it for the wrong reason.

PT Car Washer

Our stewards do not pay union dues. Considered compensation for all the time they spend representing union members and union meetings off the clock. I agree with this practice.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
We don't pay our stewards here because we don't want people doing it only for the money. You need someone that is passionate for their membership.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Varies according to the local's by-laws.

Yep.

Our stewards do not pay union dues. Considered compensation for all the time they spend representing union members and union meetings off the clock. I agree with this practice.

So do I.

We don't pay our stewards here because we don't want people doing it only for the money. You need someone that is passionate for their membership.

That.... would thin the herd.

My Local's by-laws, don't specifically address whether they are "paid" or not.

That, is left up to the executive board. We have paid, and (non-paid) alternates.

And "paid".... is a misnomer.... because then, they would be considered employee's.

But.... all stewards stand for election every 3 years. Same as the officers and agents.

-Bug-

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
I have always paid x 2 1/2 my hourly rate per month not to mention listening to the peeps bitch about the dues the week they are deducted from their check.

C

chuchu

That perk doesn't even scratch the surface of lost family and personal time compensation.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Elected Stewards don't pay in 104 but some of us do by choice. It's not worth it to do the job for the free dues and you'll make plenty in overtime with grievance meetings etc.