short term disability and withdrawing from union

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by jamie deangelis, Oct 9, 2014.

  1. jamie deangelis

    jamie deangelis New Member

    I am going out on short term disability and was told I should withdrawl from the union. Has anyone heard this? I am afraid I will lose my seniority in the company or They will be able to fire me easier for being out.
  2. bleedinbrown58

    bleedinbrown58 ahhh....the mouth breathers

    You won't lose your need to talk to your steward and BA.
  3. jamie deangelis

    jamie deangelis New Member

  4. barnyard

    barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

    You have a Health and Welfare card. On that card are phone numbers for your union office and the H&W office. Call them.
  5. UpstateNYUPSer

    UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

    Signing a withdrawal card and withdrawing from the union are not one in the same. You sign the card so that you won't be asked to pay back any dues you may owe.
  6. Mugarolla

    Mugarolla Light 'em up!

    If you are ever going to be off more than 30 days, for one reason or another, go to your local union hall and get a withdrawal card. You do not have to pay dues for any month that you are off for the entire month.

    If you do not get one, you will have to pay dues for the time you are off. It does not affect your job, union status or anything. The only thing it affects is that you cannot vote in a union election if you are on a withdrawal card. When you get back, you come off your withdrawal and are back to being a member in good standing.

    Withdrawing from the union is a different story. If you do that, good luck. You will need it.
  7. PT Car Washer

    PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

    I got a withdrawal card a couple times for extended military call ups. No problems. When I returned I simply notified the Union and they started my Union due withdraws again. Worked with a girl that was off several months for a pregnancy and didn't get a withdrawal card. When she came back she had to pay all the back Union dues.
  8. greengrenades

    greengrenades To be the man, you gotta beat the man.

    I was on short term back in Dec and I did nothing. I just called whoever I was suppose to call and tell them I'm out for a month, then they sent me 5 pay checks for the weeks I was out. That was it. I let the Doctors and Insurance handle the rest between themselves. I didn't call the Union or anything like that. I will say this, make sure you call someone once a week and make sure bid sheets haven't come out while your out. If you don't sign bids while on short term, you are SOL.
  9. UpstateNYUPSer

    UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

    If you are going to be out for 30 days or less there is no need to sign a withdrawal card.

    Good advice on calling to see if any new bid sheets have been posted.
  10. UpstateNYUPSer

    UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

    Ours only has the toll free number for the Teamster dedicated BC/BS line.