Short term disability increase

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
For some "strange" reason, they don't include November/December when calculating the average base pay.

You must also be under the "continuous care" of a doctor or TeamCare will cut off your medical coverage. "Continuous care" is intentionally ambiguous, but is roughly one doctor's visit per month. I had a member that had a neurological problem (doc only needed to see him every 6-8 weeks or so) that basically had to hit up an Urgent Care for a unneeded visit 1x/month in order to maintain coverage.

Thanks for the info. Not too often am I left speechless but this example right here just has me floored and speechless. Some of the other examples people have mentioned are downright insulting. So basically, it's almost impossible to get the $500 and IF there were an increase in Jan 2017, getting anywhere close to that is also a joke.

I initially started this thread because I might have to get surgery done and I was trying to figure out if I should just get it done now or wait until the new year. Sounds like it really doesn't matter one way or another!

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Family size is irrelevant.
I know but when you break it down like that, it is just sickening to think of. Honestly it's sickening with just one person but when you add a family especially one as large as @3 done 3 to go , $277 is just a slap in the face. I don't know how some people survive without some form of supplemental insurance like Aflac or similar.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I opened up my Quicken to see what I received for STD and it was also $277 per week.

Thankfully I was able to use 4 weeks of vacation.

What sucked was having to use 4 weeks of vacation.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Thanks for the info. Not too often am I left speechless but this example right here just has me floored and speechless. Some of the other examples people have mentioned are downright insulting. So basically, it's almost impossible to get the $500 and IF there were an increase in Jan 2017, getting anywhere close to that is also a joke.

I initially started this thread because I might have to get surgery done and I was trying to figure out if I should just get it done now or wait until the new year. Sounds like it really doesn't matter one way or another!

There is supplemental union disability insurance, but you typically have to have a certain number of members contributing to waive certain fees and acquire certain benefits. Definitely difficult to do on your own as an individual.

The positive aspect of our disability coverage is that its not difficult to start the process.. (and I hate saying this) but that might be part of the problem. While the approx. $500/month per individual covered under your benefits is a big part of the disability coverage, it is fairly easy to abuse.

I couldn't live on $277/week pre-tax for a ~6 month period out of work without serious quality of life issues (beyond having to downgrade to 1-ply :censored2: tickets) and I'm part-time.

wayfair

swollen member
had an accident 10 years ago off the job and it was $277 a week for 3 1/2 months.

Luckily Ford Motor credit let me skip a couple of payments ($450 a month) and the owner of the house I was renting worked with me!!