Short Term Disability // Long Term Disability

bocoloci

Termd3xMKEdrvr
I have now applied for Unemployment Compansation and am awaiting approval. STD has been exhausted and the UPS insurer for LTD has till mid March to approve/deny my application. UPS HR has been less than helpful in providing options/suggestions/alternatives and or a monitary means for me to pay my bills.

Through the Union, I will be submitting to UPS, my physical restrictions set forth by my Doctor in hopes they may have work I can do within the guidelines of the ADA. I continue to persue a "hardship" loan which appears will take an act of GOD to get approved. Thanks to everyones helpful advise and comments.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Typically you have to wait 2 years before you can sell any UPS stock that you have accumulated. If you are facing a hardship then you can sell this stock early. You have to write a letter explaining why you are requesting the hardship and then a determination is made if you meet the qualifications.

bocoloci

Termd3xMKEdrvr
UPDATE:......15 pages of medical documentation were submitted by my Dr. to the UPS insurer for LTD. Although the information provided was "GOOD" it was "INSUFFICIANT", the insurer required more definitive information, to be specific, a "FCE" Funtional Capacity Exam. I now feel my Dr. dropped the ball "BIG TIME" by not sending me for this exam weeks/months ago in preperation for their demands. With my Dr. failing to provide FCE findings,(Because a FCE had not been done) after 2 requests by the LTD insurer, the LTD case worker was ready to make a ruling and deny benefits. I requested an extention, and now have till March 15. I now have a FCE schedualed and should have the Exam and Results submitted by or before the original deadline of March 2nd. So the moral of this real life experiance when applying for LTD, INSIST on having a FCE done if your Dr hasn't already ordered one in preperation of the insurers demands. Prior to this FCE being done, I had to see a Physical Therapist who basically assested my current physical condition, BP, range of motion, flextion, extention of arms, legs and back. Med history ect....FCE test on Monday, .....too be continued

bocoloci

Termd3xMKEdrvr
UPDATE:.......FCE done, preliminary results show 50 % Permanant Physical Disability. Final results to be submitted before the end of the week to my Doctor and then forwarded to UPS Insurer for LTD.

rocket man

46 yr old, 13 Year FT Pkg Drvr, I had Knee/Back/Foot surgury - (ALL Work Comp) during my tenure, now currently no longer able to do the job, STD due to Run out, currently in the process of filing for LTD. Any and ALL advice / insight/ expectations are greatly appreciated. No need to Copy/Post the LTD outline, I have viewed it already on someone elses thread. I just wana know what the "Expect the Unexpected" circumstances I should prepare for, since becoming disabled by my job.

I want to go back to work within my restrictions per my Doctor, Will they Accomodate me ? Is there a chance ?
At what point can I withdrawl 100 % of my 401K ? CALLING DR KILDARE
If Approved for LTD, is my medical coverage the same ? Is there any out of pocket cost for coverage ? Am I only covered for up to 1 year ?

Bm01555

You need to request an ADA accommodation ASAP. This is Federal Law and trumps all your collective bargaining bull. I'm currently in a lawsuit with UPS on this issue. I was in management and have researched every case i could find. Trust me when I tell you that you have more rights then you think. When they tell you that you need to be 100% they are already in violation of the ADA. If you have medical that states you have a disability then they need to put you through the process. This can't be a go through the motions process as they have demonstrated in the past. If your in NY I can get you a name of a couple of attorney's. The ADA requires they must prove essential requirements of your job and offers a ton of other resolutions UPS must look at,(Transfer,Job Restructoring etc.). You can find tons of info on the web. If you have any questions about the ADA feel free to reach out to me and I'll try to help. UPS should never had pissed off a former Division Manager and now I plan to work with any Business Agent or employee on this issue that I can.

bocoloci

Termd3xMKEdrvr
You need to request an ADA accommodation ASAP. This is Federal Law and trumps all your collective bargaining bull. I'm currently in a lawsuit with UPS on this issue. I was in management and have researched every case i could find. Trust me when I tell you that you have more rights then you think. When they tell you that you need to be 100% they are already in violation of the ADA. If you have medical that states you have a disability then they need to put you through the process. This can't be a go through the motions process as they have demonstrated in the past. If your in NY I can get you a name of a couple of attorney's. The ADA requires they must prove essential requirements of your job and offers a ton of other resolutions UPS must look at,(Transfer,Job Restructoring etc.). You can find tons of info on the web. If you have any questions about the ADA feel free to reach out to me and I'll try to help. UPS should never had pissed off a former Division Manager and now I plan to work with any Business Agent or employee on this issue that I can.

Thanks for your input ! I'm familiar with the ADA and had to write policy for a company I used to work for when it was first inacted. Once I obtain the results of my FCE, I will gather all my medical records and submit them with a letter to UPS Corp requesting they accomodate me with work within the restrictions set forth by my Doctor. I look forward to futher communicating with you on your progress, as well as my own. Be Well Bm01555 !!

HBGPreloader

Bm01555 is pretty much spot on with his advice and, if your business agent doesn't know of this or is unwilling to pursue this route, find someone who will. I would strongly urge you to seek competent union advice or legal council before attempting this on your own because what you say or do may cause more harm than good.

bocoloci

Termd3xMKEdrvr
Unemployment Comp pending since applying Feb 15, Adjudicator interview yesterday. LTD pending as well, I should know by the end of this week per UPS LTD insurer case worker. STD will become available and is "Retroactive" back to Feb. 15 upon denial of LTD for up to 26 weeks. Currently surviving on my wifes biweekly pay check since I have had no monitary income since I exhausted my STD benefits. Good news out of the blue, a line of credit from a HEL that had been cut off, has become reinstated.....OH JOY !!!!.....lol, more debt !!!....There are many more people out there in worse shape than I am and are surviving, I/We will as well......

FOLLOWS THE METHODS

If done on job wouldnt it be workers comp? You should be in contact with workers comp lawyer. Comp pays 70ish percent here, where disability is only like 30 percent. Best of luck to you...

bocoloci

Termd3xMKEdrvr
If done on job wouldnt it be workers comp? You should be in contact with workers comp lawyer. Comp pays 70ish percent here, where disability is only like 30 percent. Best of luck to you...

Although injured on the job, one may heal, but you never recover 100 % and must compensate with physical fuctional alternatives, EX : When entering the truck, instead of leading with my Bad Left Foot/Leg, my first step would be with my good right foot/leg using the grab rail to generate momentum for the next step on my bad foot/leg. I would always use elevators when and where available when delivering and picking up, however the stairs were always in inevitable painfull struggle at loading docks and office buildings.. I would also Exit my truck so as to land on my good right foot/leg rather than endure the pain and shock if I were to land on my left foot/leg. Per my Doctor and the WC Insurer, my WC injuries healed and any complications I may have down the road would be considered natural degeneration and wouldn't be considered "Grandfathered" from the initial injuries. Thanks for your Reply !

bocoloci

Termd3xMKEdrvr
UPS LTD Insurer's case worker has submitted my claim for approval, ....awaiting Final Confirmation of Approval. UC is still pending, and if approved, can be recieved/collected while recieving LTD benies per the Adjudicator for UC.

PKGCAR1994

I'm kind of going through that here in california. You can get disability short term,long term on physical stuff is tough you may get five at the most. Mine is mental so it's a little different
the only thing I can say is you are going to see just how much you don't really mean to UPS they will replace you and that's that.

After 4 weeks I am still waiting for a decision from ADA paperwork from Nashville office .... They don't seem to have any sense of urgency when it comes to friend/t drivers with permanent restrictions even after nearly 18 yrs

Bm01555

google," UPS ADA Manual" , you will get a hit on the class action attempt on UPS. Read it and you will see who is involved in the process and how long it should take. If you need help email at [email protected] and I'll do all I can to educate you.

bocoloci

Termd3xMKEdrvr
Officially Approved for LTD for up to 5 years. Health, Dental, Vision Benies restored for 1 year. Canceling UC claim because if approved, the weekly benefit is required to be reported to LTD insurer, and a monthly adjustment would be made by the LTD insurer. No need to create more red tape than I already have.

bocoloci

Termd3xMKEdrvr
Long Term Disability Update: ....After exhausting Short Term Disability benies and now nearly 2 years of Long Term Disability benies, UPS's LTD insurer "Aetna" has cut me off.... 6 to 8 months ago I was advised by my Aetna Claim Agent that if I couldn't show that I was "100 % PERMANATELY DISABLED" by Feb-2014, my LTD benefitt would be discontinued. Needless to say I was "SHOCKED" by this revelation noting the National Teamster Contract stated one may be eligible for up to 5 years. What is not stated is the "SPECIFICS", that after recieving 2 years of LTD, if your still able bodied in some capacity, your no longer eligible nor qualifyied to recieve further LTD benies. I contacted both Teamster Biz Agent and UPS H.R. Manager, NEITHER could CONFIRM Aetna's Policy, but both would look into the matter and get back to me, after several, multiple, endless follow ups, I have yet to recieve a CLEAR answer from either TEAMSTERS or UPS HR....ADA was applied for, 6 month internal job search yeilded "ZERO" job offerings from 3 UPS hubs in my area. Lawyer retained seeking job retraining settlement due to injuries sustained from 12+ years Full Time as Pkg Car Drvr. Pending.