Shorts and long sleeves.....

kingOFchester

Over heard a driver and sup talking the other day.

65 degrees out.
AM temp was 40 degrees.

Driver had on the "rain type" driver UPS jacket.
Sup said that the upper powers were discussing that we are not allowed to wear long sleeves ANYTHING if we are wearing shorts.
Driver said, "what if it is raining out?"

Sup said.......wait for it........"that was also discussed and the "powers that be" said if the driver is wearing shorts, then no long sleeves of any kind."

I :censored2: you not.

But yet we do not have enough hand trucks.
Airs are sometimes found in my load.
Do to splits, Businesses that SHIP a lot are now getting their deliveries in the PM when they wanted it earlier like they got in the past so they could turn around that product.
Still have 800's in the fleet going out with 200 plus stops.
no better then 50% sucsess rate in getting the proper call tag to the propper trip do to splits.
Driver A crossing threw driver B's area to do a split, while driver B crossing threw driver A's area to do a split.

I am becoming jaded.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I happen to think that long sleeve shirts and shorts do not mix but would not go so far as to not allow those who feel otherwise to wear them. What I find funny are the drivers who wear long sleeve shirts and a vest while wearing shorts. I call that the "North Country" look.

I have to laugh when drivers say "once the shorts go on they stay on" as they are standing there freezing during the PCM.

kingOFchester

I happen to think that long sleeve shirts and shorts do not mix but would not go so far as to not allow those who feel otherwise to wear them. What I find funny are the drivers who wear long sleeve shirts and a vest while wearing shorts. I call that the "North Country" look.

I have to laugh when drivers say "once the shorts go on they stay on" as they are standing there freezing during the PCM.

So if you are wearing shorts, and it starts to down pour, you wont put on a jacket??

Indecisi0n

I wear shorts and long sleeves everyday. Its been 3 months since i ordered uniforms. My shorts have a hole in them and my sleeves are rolled up. Don't like? Then get me my @#$# UPS!

kingOFchester

Of course I would---I just don't think that a long sleeve shirt and shorts should be worn together on a sunny day; however, I would never tell anyone that they couldn't wear them together.
That was what amazed me. I understand the "north country look" may not be the most presentable, but why take it as so far as to not allow a jacket in the rain if you are wearing shorts?

United Prison Systems

Last edited:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I like to wear shorts with a long sleeve shirt, turtleneck, vest and winter jacket over the vest. Oh and Sorel insulated boots. The ladies love the look.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That was what amazed me. I understand the "north country look" may not be the most presentable, but why take it as so far as to not allow a jacket in the rain if you are wearing shorts?

Do you think for a second that any discipline handed out to a driver who wore his UPS approved rain jacket while wearing shorts would stick?

kingOFchester

Do you think for a second that any discipline handed out to a driver who wore his UPS approved rain jacket while wearing shorts would stick?

Of course not. But why even let it get to that point? Why even waste time discussing it at the upper level? I posted this to show the disconnection between the "cubical world" and the real "driver world".

Every year I think that all darker side employees should be required to drive a truck, deliver all the packages while a driver jumps. All the driver would do is tell them where to go and where the delivery point is, and have them do what we do and deal with what we deal with. Also, we should get to choose the trip on the day they come in wearing browns. So that the load can't be "played with".

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yet more proof that our upper mgmnt really doesn't have that much to do.

Our flavor of the month is unapproved uniform items. A lot of the guys ordered hoodies and sweatshirts with the logo embroidered from a local apparel company. These were not cheap---$20-25---but now we are being told we can only wear authorized uniform items.

Indecisi0n

A lot of the guys ordered hoodies and sweatshirts with the logo embroidered from a local apparel company. These were not cheap---$20-25---but now we are being told we can only wear authorized uniform items.

I agree with them. If its isn't UPS or Teamster wear then it isn't approved.

over9five

Staff member
I can't believe what drivers are allowed to get away with nowadays.

All kinds of knit hats, some UPS logos - some not, various colors.
Those $25 dollar sweatshirts that Upstate mentioned all holes around the collar because people making $85k are too cheap to buy new ones.
Drivers wearing short sleeved shirts with long sleeved thermals under them.
All color t-shirts.

Our appearance sucks now. Wasn't like this 20 years ago. Why doesn't management crack down on the above???

Sorry, image is very important to me. And it used to be important to my company.
Rant ovah.

Feelsdumb

Isn't this a bottom line issue? If letting drivers buy their own sweatshirts to wear doesn't negatively affect our customer numbers, then why does this even matter? Is everyone that old fashioned? Aren't the richest and most respected people in the world wearing t-shirts and cargo shorts now? Times they are a changin'.

rod

Retired 22 years
I carried a bag that contained an extra long sleeve and short sleve shirt and an extra pair of pants and shorts. In the spring and fall the days around here can go from freezing in the morning to HOT in the afternoon and back to freezing after the sun goes down. Many times I would change clothes in the back of the truck when it got too hot or cold. Also it helped on a number of occasions when the crotch of the pants decided it was time to let go. Granted when you wad your extra clothes up and stuff them in a bag you can end up looking like you slept in them but I didn't really care---I was comfortable.