Should I be allowing UPS Secuity Guards to open all my belongings?

They constantly open up every single compartment to my bag. If they find an MP3 player they turn it on to see if it's yours. If you have a cell phone, it needs to be turned on. If it's not they send you back to the security department or a supervisor needs to check you out. I'm being searched head to toe and I don't feel it's right. There was an employee ahead of me and his phone was turned off because it was low on batteries. They made him go back inside to get written up to LEAVE WORK? Are they allowed to do that? What would happen if you took your phone and walked out.

brown bomber

brown bomber
gotta love, BIG BROTHER........looking out for your best interests........perhaps a call to the local ACLU (as much as it pains me to suggest this)..maybe they might give you an answer regarding this "excessive" search and detain procedure

upssup

You are kidding right. If you do not feel you need to be checked by security than quit. It is that simple. It is UPS's right and responsibility to it's customers to curb theft as much as possible. If you take it personal then I am sorry. Depending on where you are you might appreciate the fact that they also check people going in as well. I know in the bigger cities it curbs knives and guns from getting into the centers as well. If you need security decals on your personal items it is a simple process. If it takes too much effort or you are offended that you have to do it then maybe you should work somewhere else. it is that simple.

DS

Fenderbender
:Our new (revamped) hubs security is like a jail.Sup's and drivers are the only ones allowed to bring in a phone.Everyone else has to leave theirs in a locker.Every cell phone/camera etc must have a sticker that they apply after writing down the serial #.They wont tell me what they are looking for when I have to open my lunch bag every morning.Maybe that's a good idea though,I really hate our new center manager :wink2:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
You are kidding right. If you do not feel you need to be checked by security than quit. It is that simple. It is UPS's right and responsibility to it's customers to curb theft as much as possible. If you take it personal then I am sorry. Depending on where you are you might appreciate the fact that they also check people going in as well. I know in the bigger cities it curbs knives and guns from getting into the centers as well. If you need security decals on your personal items it is a simple process. If it takes too much effort or you are offended that you have to do it then maybe you should work somewhere else. it is that simple.

This kind of attitute is a perfect example of why there is this wall between hourly and mgt.

brown_trousers

Its not really that bad... Try walking into work at Intel with a cell phone and lunch pale, or going to work at the airport. In fact your lucky you even get MP3 players, they don't allow those at our center anymore.

And lets face it... humanity has survived for thousands of years without cell phones, I'm willing to bet you can survive a 5 hr shift without it.

washington57

Its not really that bad... Try walking into work at Intel with a cell phone and lunch pale, or going to work at the airport. In fact your lucky you even get MP3 players, they don't allow those at our center anymore.

And lets face it... humanity has survived for thousands of years without cell phones, I'm willing to bet you can survive a 5 hr shift without it.

And we live in 2010. UPS security is a joke.

JonFrum

Or work at one of the other UPS buildings like mine that have no security guards or searches whatsoever.

over9five

Staff member
They constantly open up every single compartment to my bag. ...

Sounds excessive. I don't mind them searching, but if they're going to delay everyone so much IT SHOULD BE PAID TIME.

You are kidding right. If you do not feel you need to be checked by security than quit. ...

Managements answer to every concern.

.Maybe that's a good idea though,I really hate our new center manager :wink2:

Tell 'em how you really feel! (maybe you shouldnt!)

This kind of attitute is a perfect example of why there is this wall between hourly and mgt.

Certainly doesn't help.

Probably the best answer.

And we live in 2010. UPS security is a joke.

Yup

Or work at one of the other UPS buildings like mine that have no security guards or searches whatsoever.

But they have that cool new lock on the door with the very difficult code to get in. (And if you forget it, just jump thru the open overhead next to it)

LittleBilly19

no dont quit.. this is america not china! check your rite under the law because to leave that s$$$$$$$ everyday and be treated like imate while suits walk through without be searched is wrong.

Nimnim

The Nim
At my hub it depends more on who is working security at the time whether the search is a quick look or opening compartments. mp3 players, phones and any other contraband outside of some food/drink is not supposed to enter aside from FT sup or drivers who have a sticker placed on the items. That aside security is a joke because if someone did intend to bring a weapon in security isn't allowed to detain people physically, they can only tell you that you can't bring something in and call inside for someone who can do something.

22.34life

im my building the guard shack routine is always the same,walk through metal detecter ,get wanded,pick up pants legs,open all parts of lunch box/back pack,if you have a cell phone it must have a sticker on it.this doesnt really bother me that much,sometimes its a little bit of a wait at the shack going out but other than that its no big deal.look everybody knows the rules and after years you should be used to it.you are not supposed to have an ipod or mp3 player at work in the first place.if you think its bad now wait until they begin random searchs during work hours,i hear this will begin soon.also we will have a new id system soon that will scan you in and out at the guard shack to keep track of coming and going.doors in the building will also scan your id and keep track of who goes in and out everywhere in the building.basically it will amount to telemactics in the building.

fethrs

Hourly and management are all searched at my hub. Even outside corporate folks.
It doesn't bother me as I have nothing to hide and it doesn't take time.
All bags are opened and searced but not excessively. I don't mind, I have a job and make decent money and if that's part of UPS policy, so be it.
I also know that there was a guy fired for a knife incident, don't know all the details but it was security who found the knife.
It's a safety concern as well.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The only security we have in my center is a key card and half the guys simply ring the bell for entry. When we come off road during the winter we drive to our personal vehicles and start them so that they will be defrosted and warm by the time we punch out. We also put our personal belongings in at that time so if any one was trying to steal something this would be the ideal time to do it. Customers who are coming in for packages that have been held for them are supposed to use the employee entrance door but every now and then we get one who walks in through an open overhead door.

They constantly open up every single compartment to my bag. If they find an MP3 player they turn it on to see if it's yours. If you have a cell phone, it needs to be turned on. If it's not they send you back to the security department or a supervisor needs to check you out. I'm being searched head to toe and I don't feel it's right. There was an employee ahead of me and his phone was turned off because it was low on batteries. They made him go back inside to get written up to LEAVE WORK? Are they allowed to do that? What would happen if you took your phone and walked out.
I think you have to let them do a full body cavity search?

UPSGUY72

Just tell them no they can't search your stuff and see if they let you into work. I hope when that guy went back in to get written up he punched back in I would have kept walking as I was off the clock.

Should THEY be opening every compartment in your bag? Absolutely not! If they want to see in a compartment they can ask you to open it so they can look inside but they are to keep their hands out at all times. We won that as a grievance some time back. The phrase we use is "If there is something you would like to see let me know and I will show it to you but I do not want you to place your hands in my property".
If they want your phone on, fine. If you have nothing to hide flip it open and show it to them. But they do not touch. If you have the sticker on your property you`re good.
As far as just "taking your phone and walking out" that will get you in hot water. They are allowed to inspect, it`s their playground. But as I mentioned its hands off.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Its hard not to get mad at the security guards but they are only doing what ups has instructed them to do....they are only doing their job...grieve it..its ups' problem

959Nanook

Threads like this make me thank my lucky northern stars that I work at the last center going north and no one cares about us as long as we get the packages delivered that they send north and we don't send any inappropriate Hazmats south. Sure, I wish they cared just a little sometimes but then a thread like this comes along and reminds me what "UPS caring" looks like.

bluehdmc

It seems to all depend on LP in the building you work at. In my district we have a number of smaller buildings with a: no security, b: a guard at the gate to cut the feeder seals, c: vehicle gate and pedestrian gate shacks with metal detectors, some which let you walk through with just a cursory inspection and wanding, some which do the cell phone on, check every compartment in your bag search. Some guards don't search the drivers as closely as hub personnel, some search everyone, although it seems "suits" don't get checked as thoroughly. Just seems to be part of the job.
I was told by one guard that they still find empty cell phone boxes in the building, that's the reason for the increased security.