Should I Become a Steward?

Big Heavy Package Handler

Long story short the union steward for my hub is about to get voted out because he is useless and I was thinking about taking his place, but I’m not entirely sure how the process works! Any advice?

Long story short the union steward for my hub is about to get voted out because he is useless and I was thinking about taking his place, but I’m not entirely sure how the process works! Any advice?
Do you know the contract??

Still learning (it’s a lot and the language gets confusing at times). But I definitely know enough to sit in a union meeting with an employee with attendance issues. That’s about all the current one ever does from what I see. He never says a word.

Still learning (it’s a lot and the language gets confusing at times). But I definitely know enough to sit in a union meeting with an employee with attendance issues. That’s about all the current one ever does from what I see. He never says a word.
You need to know the language and have a dialogue with management

Have a dialogue with management as in?

Observer

You can be neither too rich or too smart. By all means inquire about becoming a steward. I'm sorry that your current steward has been lazy. Our hub has this issue also. Stewards for the part timers are unmotivated. Which is why a lot of part timers and now the RTW people have no interest in joining the union. They have seen how others have been treated poorly when a problem arose. There are different resources that you can use in addition to the training at the local. KNOWLEDGE is power. Try not to have any favoritism among the workers. Also, don't be cutting deals-trading grievances, etc. Above all - be fair. It takes a lot for some people to have to file a grievance. Eventually you have to as -- the harassment, etc. gets to be too much. It's sad in this day and age we all have to put up with supervisors who harass the hell out of people. A good resource is a national job site. You can read what former and current employees feel about the company. This will give you a good insight on what the problems are in your geographical area. This will familiarize you ahead of time. Learn your National Master and your supplement. You'll soon learn which problems repeat themselves in your hub. Good luck - keep us updated on your journey into the world of stewards.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I'm not sure a motivated, incompetent steward is better than a lazy one, competent or not. Part of the reason I started posting on these forums was to help improve my understanding of the contract, my duties as a steward, and the grievance process. There's a lot to know, and is not a responsibility you should take on without serious consideration.

Reading over and even memorizing the contract is nice, but not very helpful if you don't have some background on what specific articles mean, how they are interpreted, and how they've been enforced. If you gain that understanding, then you have some hope of properly representing your fellow union members and enforcing the contract.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Our steward doesn't know a G.D. thing. He just nods along with management. A walking handjob.

If you don't know anything as a steward your best bet is to keep your mouth shut, take notes, and when management is done talking, tell them to leave the room so you can confer. That will at least give them the impression that you know something, and they will be less likely to pull a fast one on you.

john chesney

If you are doing it to help yourself then no. If you really care about everyone and are willing and able to learn the contract and stand up for people and don’t fear the company then yes. A set of balls is necessary if this sounds like you then go for it

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I say it over and over, get the national and supplement installed in your phone as a pdf file under say iBooks.

When you are trying to learn the contract, it can be intimidating, but using your pdf file, you simply search the words.

For example, say you wanted to know about holiday pay, search holiday, more than likely you’ll find it, among other language pertaining to it. Do some of this on your lunch break or something, educate yourself using this technique. You’d be amazed how quickly you’ll learn it.

I say it over and over, get the national and supplement installed in your phone as a pdf file under say iBooks.

When you are trying to learn the contract, it can be intimidating, but using your pdf file, you simply search the words.

For example, say you wanted to know about holiday pay, search holiday, more than likely you’ll find it, among other language pertaining to it. Do some of this on your lunch break or something, educate yourself using this technique. You’d be amazed how quickly you’ll learn it.

How do I do this? Do you have a link or anything?

badpal

Go for it, we cant get any driver to take it at our center. Sups just grab another hourly to watch. Heck ,we will take the guy your voting out.

Pizza

Joe Biden is The Big Guy
I was thinking of starting a steward 101 post just this morning.

We lost our steward just recently and need one. I'm not the guy for the job but am also the best option.

ski or die

Ski or Die
If you don't know anything as a steward your best bet is to keep your mouth shut, take notes, and when management is done talking, tell them to leave the room so you can confer. That will at least give them the impression that you know something, and they will be less likely to pull a fast one on you.
Management will catch on and bug the room in the future to see what the steward is discussing.