Should I call back? I applied for PH over 3 weeks ago and haven't heard back yet...

HardWorkingGuy

I had the sort observation on July 24 for a package handler position, than went back and applied on July 26th which is when they told me to come in and apply if I was interested.

I ended up getting a new phone number and I called on August 1st and told them I need to update my application. He happily updated my application than told me he isn't the person that does the hiring but it looked like I was near the top of the list and should get a call in a few days. I called back a week later on August 8th and the lady I talked to told me they haven't gone over all the applications yet and told me she would notify the person that does the hiring that I called and said that hopefully I hear back soon.

I still haven't heard back, should I call again on Monday? What should I say when I call again? It is now August 18th and I applied July 26th. Is it normal to take that much time?

55+

Re: Should I call back? I applied for PH over 3 weeks ago and haven't heard back yet.

Im not sure you should ever call back ..its a deadend job..keep looking for other opportunities.

hypo hanna

Re: Should I call back? I applied for PH over 3 weeks ago and haven't heard back yet.

The way fedex churns new employees, there should be an opening soon.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.

You're wasting your talent.

Express Courier

You'll get the call for a job. FedEx is on a different schedule.

HardWorkingGuy

What do you mean when you say that they're on a different schedule?

Ricochet1a

You'll get the call for a job. FedEx is on a different schedule.

What do you mean when you say that they're on a different schedule?

LMAO!!!

FedEx has their schedule for hiring you; you have your own schedule...

If you made it through the interview, you will eventually be offered a job. I'm not sure if they do the drug screen now right after the interview (before you're offered a job), or right before they have an opening to be filled.

For the handler position, FedEx DOESN'T interview solely when they have an opening to fill. They process and interview in anticipation of turnover occurring. They try to create a "pool" of applicants, so that way when an opening does occur, they merely call the next in the line up of applicants and ask, "Can you start tomorrow?". You had better be able to say yes, or they'll go to the next applicant and give them the call asking if they can start tomorrow.

In this environment, I'd imagine the turnover rate is lower than it used to be - however, there is still turnover.

DON'T pester the manager at the location doing the hiring or the HR person with constant, "Where am I in the line up to be called". At this stage, you are merely a name on a piece of paper waiting to be put to work. On your first day, you'll be "bestowed" your life long, never to change employee number. Be thankful they won't tattoo it on your arm...

HardWorkingGuy

Well thank you, I'll wait it out.
Hopefully I can get an interview soon since it's been almost a month since I put in an application and I haven't heard anything since.

Ricochet1a

Well thank you, I'll wait it out.
Hopefully I can get an interview soon since it's been almost a month since I put in an application and I haven't heard anything since.

If you HAVEN'T had an interview yet, I'd call them back next week (August 27 week). The background check takes between 2 and 4 weeks from the time the package is submitted - depending on where you have lived. The more moving around you have done in the past 5 years, the longer it takes. If you've been out of the country in the past 5 years, that will slow down the process. If you've had any arrests and/or convictions for anything HIGHER than a Class C Misdemeanor - that will add time.

Again, FedEx creates a pool of potential applicants to pull from when the inevitable openings occur. There was a time when turnover was SO HIGH, that they didn't have a pool in many places to pull from and staffing got to seriously low levels (handlers were quitting faster than they could be replaced with new hires). That cost Express BIG in terms of delayed processing of freight and working handlers longer than usual - which had an even bigger affect on increasing turnover of overworked handlers.

DON'T wait around for a phone call from Express for a job - continue your job hunt. Given your position, you will most likely end up getting something, then getting a call from Express a few weeks after that. Don't worry about quitting the job you do find to "tide you over", if and when you get a call from FedEx. No one is going to hold leaving a minimum wage job with no notice against you, especially when you are leaving to work for a large corporation which pays significantly more. It happens all the time, it is expected out there. The only consequence of leaving a minimum wage job with no notice is that you'll be non-rehirable by that company. Big deal...

HardWorkingGuy

Thank you that is really helpful, and the position is with Fedex Ground.