should I go into feeder?

rocket man

You guys say do it , but how does it effect your family life that is the biggest part that bugs me
so far questions on this post are so far off you ask how will it be >? will it affect your family . what are my hours? you dont know the answers to this you shouldnt be in any truck pkg car what ever . grow up make up your own mind ask yourself what do i want in life or from this job ? your the one who has to decide. n then im thinking contract time is coming and there are to many feeder drivers on layoff, how are they putting on new ones?

rod

Retired 22 years
Don't worry---after a week or so you will be able to turn on the air-conditioning or change CD's without even taking your eyes off the road.

bluehdmc

Sorry, even with the extra $.50 or $.75 per hour, you couldn't pay me enough to drive one of those things down the Northway at 3am during a blizzard.

That's the challenge, when it snows here a lot of drivers call out. I go in, it was a bit challenging to take a set to Hartford and another set back in a blizzard. Once you get rolling, don't stop, gotta keep your speed up to a certain extent so you can make it up the grades. It's amazing how many upgrades you notice in a snowstorm on what you thought was a basically level road!

The OP is gonna contend with a lot of weather being from Alaska. If you can contend with the hours, that's probably the biggest problem. On long runs unless you're talking on the cell phone you don't get much other contact. It seems around here the only time anyone talks on the CB is in a traffic jam. Sometimes you just call another driver and bs to help keep you both awake or blast the radio.

A

anonymous6

Do it. I'm not even a feeder but if you have a chance go. I'm the same as u nervous about driving a big rig. All my friends that drive one though say no big deal after a week or so.

these are the kind of drivers who scare the hell out of me. i see it all the time. some pack driver comes in, gets his training, drives a couple weeks or months without incident and think he knows it all. that's dangerous.

big rigs are 20-30 times or more heavier than a four wheeler. I have been driving the big rigs over 30 years and am trying to learn something new every day. the older i get the more cautious i get.

to answer your question. go to feeder before your body goes out. you don't want to spend your retirement years in pain.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Driving in snow isn't that big of a deal. You drive slower. If conditions get too bad, you park it and call dispatch. It really is that simple. If you don't feel safe, it's your call.

Last edited:

over9five

Staff member
Just remember to check those overpass heights!

Lancaster-tractor-trailer-crash.jpg

This happened today.

TheGardener

You need to give us more information. Not all Feeder depts are the same. Some have Q-Lists, others don't. What's your senioity, high, low, avg? How do you feel about driving large equipment, at night, in bad weather, on 4 hours sleep? How good are you at maintaining your weight? Will you go directly to an "on-call" position, or will you get a job (route in the package vernacular) right from the start? So, here's my advice, based on my situation. And when asking a question like you did, you always have to qualify answers based on the respondents senioity. Senioity in our Feeder dept means you have to have a minimum of 25 years in to see a summer vacation. You have to be over 23 years in to be off the least desirable jobs. You need 29 plus years to get any day work. Overall, as a Q-List driver (that means I'm on call) it beats package hands down. One Monday I may start at 1 am, by Friday I'm starting at 6pm, (Saturday). I have no young kids at home, so I don't have events and sports to miss. My wife tolerates it cause she knows its best for me. I prefer night work, just do. I have great night vision, but during the day my eyes 'tear'up in bright sunlight. The work is 'easier', but the responsibility is huge. If you friend, and miss a sort like a pre-load, you're in it deep. Spend an hour or two driving your local area freeway doing the speed limit, see how the ass-holes around you drive. Thats what you will need to put up with when you get out there. Everyone wants to get around you. And don't fool yourself thinking you're going to just speed down the highway. 1.) This new CSA thing will end your career, and 2.) with a CDL you answer to a higher authoity. The blood alcohol level to qualify as a drunk driver is .08 right? Well, if you have a CDL, you answer to a higher authority. If you are pulled over for suspiscion of drunk driving, and you are in your personal vehicle, on personal time, you CANNOT exceed .04. And there are other provisions. If I were you, this forum is fine and all, but you need to ask every Feeder driver in your department all kinds of questions, and keep in mind the difference between your senioity and theirs. Good luck.

W

want to retire

This is a loaded question. It will be answered by you and only you. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks or does or how they cope with a feeder job. Your particular situation will be different. In the end, your life and routine will change. For some, it's career ending. For some, it's new life and the greatest. As a new feeder driver, I guarantee one thing........you will be tired and I mean the most fatigued you've ever been. And there will be NOTHING you can do about it and management will not care. My only advice is go only if you are willing to do whatever it takes to make the transition.......whatever it takes.

A

anonymous6

i think rowan was right to come here and ask questions. now he/she can go back to their feeder dept and know what questions to ask.

good luck.

rowan

Yes thanks for all the info. I have a little while to decide. When I go in ill be back up and in package when not needed. I guess ill be low guy on totem pole and I'm sure it will be like package and get stuck with the bad runs no one wants to do.

purplesky

You need to give us more information. Not all Feeder depts are the same. Some have Q-Lists, others don't. What's your senioity, high, low, avg? How do you feel about driving large equipment, at night, in bad weather, on 4 hours sleep? How good are you at maintaining your weight? Will you go directly to an "on-call" position, or will you get a job (route in the package vernacular) right from the start? So, here's my advice, based on my situation. And when asking a question like you did, you always have to qualify answers based on the respondents senioity. Senioity in our Feeder dept means you have to have a minimum of 25 years in to see a summer vacation. You have to be over 23 years in to be off the least desirable jobs. You need 29 plus years to get any day work. Overall, as a Q-List driver (that means I'm on call) it beats package hands down. One Monday I may start at 1 am, by Friday I'm starting at 6pm, (Saturday). I have no young kids at home, so I don't have events and sports to miss. My wife tolerates it cause she knows its best for me. I prefer night work, just do. I have great night vision, but during the day my eyes 'tear'up in bright sunlight. The work is 'easier', but the responsibility is huge. If you friend@#*-up, and miss a sort like a pre-load, you're in it deep. Spend an hour or two driving your local area freeway doing the speed limit, see how the ass-holes around you drive. Thats what you will need to put up with when you get out there. Everyone wants to get around you. And don't fool yourself thinking you're going to just speed down the highway. 1.) This new CSA thing will end your career, and 2.) with a CDL you answer to a higher authoity. The blood alcohol level to qualify as a drunk driver is .08 right? Well, if you have a CDL, you answer to a higher authority. If you are pulled over for suspiscion of drunk driving, and you are in your personal vehicle, on personal time, you CANNOT exceed .04. And there are other provisions. If I were you, this forum is fine and all, but you need to ask every Feeder driver in your department all kinds of questions, and keep in mind the difference between your senioity and theirs. Good luck.

Yes seniority is the biggest factor in feeders because UPS is eliminating runs where possible using contractors and the railroads and they are streamlining just like in Package car with the new system.

They are also cutting paid hours down to 8 on many runs. SO IF YOU CANT LIVE WITHOUT OVERTIME YOU WILL NOT LIKE FEEDERS.
Low seniority feeder guys are trying to get to package to make more money and are tired of being on-call.

To really learn the job 2 years is about right. UPS feeder drivers do shifting,airport runs, triples, doubles,53s,rail runs,local pickups,ect. You will learn it all fast unless you have 30 years going in to sit on a mileage run and hold bid.

If your body and mind can still handle package staying put to build seniority is the way to go. The Gardener pretty much nailed it with his post.:smart:

packageguy

You guys say do it , but how does it effect your family life that is the biggest part that bugs me

When I got my call to feeders I had young children one was 3 and a newborn, I was afraid of not being there for my family. I stayed in package car. Now I regret it. Think about it

jaker

trolling
When I got my call to feeders I had young children one was 3 and a newborn, I was afraid of not being there for my family. I stayed in package car. Now I regret it. Think about it
My kids are will be dang near out of the house by the time I go , but when you talk to drivers you get one story , when you hear from the wives you get another

Me and the wife talked about it already she supports whatever way I go , but I can see from others it does put a strain on life , I guess I really can't see being gone from my family for days on end

I swear nothing about our jobs give us a social life during the week

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Yes thanks for all the info. I have a little while to decide. When I go in ill be back up and in package when not needed. I guess ill be low guy on totem pole and I'm sure it will be like package and get stuck with the bad runs no one wants to do.

Actually, in many cases you may get some of the best runs. Our dispatch drivers bid 2 weeks out with a second bid the week prior for WAD drivers. Everything else goes on a seniority basis to the backups. So if someone with a primo run calls in sick depending on where you are on that sheet you could get offered that run. Your worst day in Feeders will be better than your best day in Package.

purplesky

The real upside to feeders is learning something new and different. Its cool to get a different perspective about UPS and see first hand how Amazon and Zappos get stuff to your door so fast.

You will gain weight by default. You will be tired all the time but its a different kind of tired than package. Feeling like crap(SLEEP SCHEDULES) is pretty normal in feeders but since its normal you will feel fine. :wink2:

One thing people dont mention much is DRIVING A SEMI IS A DANGEROUS JOB! Not much room for error. IT IS DANGEROUS!

If you go in just be 100% sure and go for it. Ignore anyone who says its easy because that attitude will get you killed! Ask for advice from the drivers with those patches that say 30 years of safe driving. They will be glad to help you. :wink2:

Kevin211

have at it, just remember not to take turns like you would in a p/c because you will end up on your side. And we don't stop on a dime either. Just remember you are paid by the hour so when you get there you get there, thats what i always say,

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
In the snow,,I spend more time worried about the dope who will hit me,and not so much about my performance !