Should I Leave FedEx for UPS?

Bound2Drive

Work hard, then work harder.
I am a current FedEx Freight city semi truck driver. I am curious about what is the better career choice as far as continuing as a City Driver at around 48k a year or work my way up the ladder at UPS. I am not interested in UPS Freight as freight economically isn't as profitable as small package. If anyone has any info as far as UPS "Brown" not freight I would greatly appreciate it. How are the bennies? FedEx has pretty good benefits as far as pension and insurance. How long do you think it will take to be a tractor trailer driver or feeder driver? What are ball park wages or earnings for 2014? I don't know much about package car as I have plenty of years behind a big rig but if that is where I have to start that is fine. How do you feel about UPS and do you think it is a good move to join brown?

I am a current FedEx Freight city semi truck driver. I am curious about what is the better career choice as far as continuing as a City Driver at around 48k a year or work my way up the ladder at UPS. I am not interested in UPS Freight as freight economically isn't as profitable as small package. If anyone has any info as far as UPS "Brown" not freight I would greatly appreciate it. How are the bennies? FedEx has pretty good benefits as far as pension and insurance. How long do you think it will take to be a tractor trailer driver or feeder driver? What are ball park wages or earnings for 2014? I don't know much about package car as I have plenty of years behind a big rig but if that is where I have to start that is fine. How do you feel about UPS and do you think it is a good move to join brown?
You already know the answer to this question.

MAKAVELI

If Freight has the same benefits and pension as Express then I couldn't possibly understand what you meant as good benefits.

BrownChoice

Ups package feeder drivers make 6 figures. The real question is do YOU have what it takes to put the time in to get to the feeder driver position? Also, cementups is correct in that its not always about the money.

Theres some soul searching you may need to do....

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
It took me twelve years to become a driver, so if you have the time then go for it. Honestly it's a young man's game. If you are older and do make it into feeders by the time you retire you would have the :censored2:ty runs and never made it to mileage. You'd be an old man under a bunch of younger guys. The only reason why I got in was right time right place and that was after waiting around for 12 years. The pay is good but honestly I wouldn't recommend UPS to anyone.

Bound2Drive

Work hard, then work harder.
Thanks for all the replies as this helps me in making an informed decision. I will explore what areas have positions for feeder drivers, city drivers, or anything comparable and hope for the best that an off the street guy can get in the door and start the climb. I have plenty of years ahead of me and if I have to take a possible pay cut now may be worth the potential income later. At FedEx there is a visible ceiling that once you hit it you have to look for higher places. Take care everyone and thanks again.

Sent using BrownCafe App