Should I quit before I start? (On topic)

googabee

Hello.

I applied as a seasonal PH and went thru the orientation this week. This is a small 'link' facility in a rural area with one belt. Evening shift 6ish to whenever, $10/hr. I'm early 40s in reasonable shape (25 pushups range/170lbs) but not young anymore.

A few younger guys showed up for the initial tour, but I was the only one to show up for orientation. Not a good sign I reckon.

My commute would be around 50 miles/day 250/week, and the union initiation dues are $600. I can't recall if those come out of the very first paychecks or only if I stayed on after January. But if they come from my seasonal employee pay at $45/week, on top of $25/week or so for gas.. that would be $6/hr to bust my tuckus assuming 17.5 hours work per week. Can anyone tell me if the $600 initiation comes out of seasonals' first checks?

As well I have heard that turnover at small facilities is very little and it's unlikely I'd be offered a permanent position anytime soon, if ever. I don't need the money. Without getting the benefits, I'm starting to feel like it would be pretty silly to even start the job.

I'd really feel like a jerk though, were I to call in and disappoint the nice lady who helped me get signed on. Then again she's probably seen thousands come and go, and I gotta do what's right for me. Supposed to start monday evening, but I'm on the fence about whether I should call in to say "not gonna work" monday morn. Afraid I'd hate the work, but not sure I wouldn't enjoy it either. But at $6/hr net?

Any advice would be most welcome and thanks for your time.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Union initiation dues would only apply if you were kept around for a permanent position after peak. $600 is insane whichever way you cut it though. Mine were around $80.

PT Car Washer

Not worth all the extra stress for so little bit of money. If you aren't careful you may end up owing the Teamster money after Peak is over.

upschuck

Union initiation dues would only apply if you were kept around for a permanent position after peak. $600 is insane whichever way you cut it though. Mine were around $80.
Not true, here. The union will even take out of helpers now, 30 days after hire date.

barnyard

KTM rider
If you can figure out what local you will be in, google it and send a message to the local and find out if they take dues for temp employees. The local office may also be able to give you an idea of if there may be permanent PT opportunities at the building where you applied.

km3

If you don't need the job, don't do it. I used to think the initiation fee in my local was robbery, but $600? That's insane.

Where I am, seasonal workers are forced to pay initiation fees and dues. $250, $25/10 weeks. There's a window in which you have to finish paying them, too, so if you can't pay the whole fee, and you work at UPS again, you get to start over.

Box Ox

The union fee very well could apply to seasonal workers. It does in some locals.

Ridiculous. Union fees should never apply to seasonals. In my RTW state you only pay anything if you're a permanent employee and sign up for union dues to be taken out of your paycheck (as I have). And there are no initiation fees.

I don't want a national RTW law to go into effect during the Trump administration. But at the same time, at least a lot of seasonal northerners' wallets wouldn't be taken to the woodshed just for signing up every year.

W

What The Hawk?

My initiation fee was $200 but since I was apart of the same union 4 years earlier when I worked at Safeway I don't have to pay the initiation fee. Like others have stated if you don't NEED it don't do it. Sounds like it would be a waste of time considering your commute. All your money would go to gas.

browner89

50 miles a day for $10/hr is not good value. Gas money, wear and tear on the vehicle, and personal time are worth more than the hours you'd get.

Not to mention $600 of initiation fees is flat out robbery as others have stated. Was only $100 here.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Do the right thing------call or e-mail to let them know that you are going to look elsewhere. As was mentioned above, the commuting costs vs the low hourly wage plus the outrageous initiation fees are clearly not worth it.

clean hairy

Another thought, If you do not need the money and are looking for something to do, volunteering with one of the toy drives, or any Charity.
Meals on Wheels is always looking for folks to help out to name one.
Busy time of year for all of them.