Should I stay or should I go?

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
Yeah another one of those posts. Just want to anonymously solicit the opinions of my peers here...

Everything is great right now. Top scale driver, nice route, and I actually don't hate my center or management...but I have real concerns about the future. Technology, non-union competition, PVDs, etc I really do not see this job as a viable career 2 or 3 contracts from now, let alone the 21yrs I have to go until I get my 80-and-out (Western Conference). My worry is stagnant wages, reduced bennies, OT work given away to PVDs (in the bay area, I need my OT), and even more miserable working conditions in the future.

I'm not going back to college (screwed that up royally already), but I have began the process of pursuing a different career that would start me out at virtually the same pay I make now with less uncertainty in the future.

If I knew that the next 21 years would be the same as they are now, I'd stay no doubt. Gradual raises with inflation, same bennies and pension contributions. But I truly feel that is all slowly going away, and I'd rather jump ship sooner than later.

Am I paranoid? All opinions welcome.

Last edited:
Yeah another one of those posts. Just want to anonymously solicit the opinions of my peers here...

Everything is great right now. Top scale driver, nice route, and I actually don't hate my center or management...but I have real concerns about the future. Technology, non-union competition, PVDs, etc I really do not see this job as a viable career 2 or 3 contracts from now, let alone the 21yrs I have to go until I get my 80-and-out (Western Conference). My worry is stagnant wages, reduced bennies, OT work given away to PVDs (in the bay area, I need my OT), and even more miserable working conditions in the future.

I'm not going back to college (screwed that up royally already), but I have began the process of pursuing a different career that would start me out at virtually the same pay I make now with less uncertainty in the future.

If I knew that the next 21 years would be the same as they are now, I'd stay now doubt. Gradual raises with inflation, same bennies and pension contributions. But I truly feel that is all slowly going away, and I'd rather jump ship sooner than later.

Am I paranoid? All opinions welcome.
It's not easy but every time I felt like quitting I remembered my family

How many years??

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.

How many years??
1E9B8E23-953B-46DB-B013-EF1446E7944D.gif

baklava

How many years??

17 total...11yrs PT sup (LOL!) and 6 Teamster. I'm vested in both pensions. Like I said, I'm not unhappy with the job just genuinely concerned for the future.

baklava

Where else are you going to go and make this kinda money?

Well, I was reluctant to say...Police Officer. Recruits in the bay area start at $40+/hr after academy. I understand that career has its own set of problems but I'm thinking about job security here.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Would it be possible to give any less information on the new job? It's tough to give potentially life changing internet advice without all the information. :)

I was too slow asking...

baklava

Would it be possible to give any less information on the new job? It's tough to give potentially life changing internet advice without all the information. :)

Ha, it’s up there now. I didn’t really want to distract from the more important point; anyone else see the doom and gloom that I do?

Well, I was reluctant to say...Police Officer. Recruits in the bay area start at $40+/hr after academy. I understand that career has its own set of problems but I'm thinking about job security here.
For the most part you aren't worried about getting shot at work

Wish I had something better to tell you. Do what your heart desires

baklava

That's some good money directly out of academy. Would you need to quit UPS to attend?

Unless I could weasel my way into some type of leave-of-absence (which I highly doubt) then yeah, I’d have to quit. Obviously it’s a risk.

baklava

You gotta be closing in on 40.
They'll take you at your age into cop school?

I’m 34, started UPS at 17. I don’t know if they would frown upon my age but there was no mention of it in the application process and I was not even close to the oldest guy to take the initial test

ManInBrown

This job isn’t going anywhere. UPS makes plenty of money. Plenty of online business to be spread around between everyone. Lmao at PVD’s affecting my job. What’s a PVD gonna do? Load a bulk stop in a Prius? Maybe someday technology will have something to do with our job not existing anymore. That someday isn’t anytime soon IMO. I have 21 years to go. I’m fairly confident my job will exist in 21 years. Might look different.

baklava

This job isn’t going anywhere. UPS makes plenty of money. Plenty of online business to be spread around between everyone. Lmao at PVD’s affecting my job. What’s a PVD gonna do? Load a bulk stop in a Prius? Maybe someday technology will have something to do with our job not existing anymore. That someday isn’t anytime soon IMO. I have 21 years to go. I’m fairly confident my job will exist in 21 years. Might look different.

A PVD can take all your light res volume so that you’re only delivering/picking up commercial all day and then delivering resi furniture and mattresses afterward. I hope you’re right but margins are getting thinner and we get paid way more than our competition. The job will still exist, yes, but will it be worth it? I really hope you’re right tho

ManInBrown

A PVD can take all your light res volume so that you’re only delivering/picking up commercial all day and then delivering resi furniture and mattresses afterward. I hope you’re right but margins are getting thinner and we get paid way more than our competition. The job will still exist, yes, but will it be worth it? I really hope you’re right tho
We don’t get paid way more than our competition. Fedex express drivers make 30+ an hour. Spoke to the express driver on my route. They’ve gotten decent raises every year for the last few years. He’s topped out at 31 and change. We do make way more then ground.