Should I take FT PC bid?

kem9

Right now I am pt-pt of preload and air/Saturday air. I drive air many weekdays and every Saturday. Occasionally I take ground out when needed which is a bonus. I like what I do, but because I'm only part time air (not necessarily a bid for it like a combo), I can be bumped by anyone who has building seniority on me who decides to drive air. I've been doing this for 3 years (6 years at UPS). At times like now I am always needed, but then sometimes a guy who is above me starts driving and I'm just doing preload.

It's frustrating. I work at a large main hub, and my ideal job would be FT air. I signed a Ft PC bid and I'm waiting to see how far they get on the list. I've been a cover driver before, and I can do the work. Do I want it?

I just want at least 40 hours without having to work 6 days a week and hoping I don't get bumped. Sorry this is more of a rant than a question.

Should I take a Ft PC bid if offered?

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now I am pt-pt of preload and air/Saturday air. I drive air many weekdays and every Saturday. Occasionally I take ground out when needed which is a bonus. I like what I do, but because I'm only part time air (not necessarily a bid for it like a combo), I can be bumped by anyone who has building seniority on me who decides to drive air. I've been doing this for 3 years (6 years at UPS). At times like now I am always needed, but then sometimes a guy who is above me starts driving and I'm just doing preload.

It's frustrating. I work at a large main hub, and my ideal job would be FT air. I signed a Ft PC bid and I'm waiting to see how far they get on the list. I've been a cover driver before, and I can do the work. Do I want it?

I just want 40 hours without having to work 6 days a week and hoping I don't get bumped. Sorry this is more of a rant than a question.

Should I take a Ft PC bid if offered?

Get your foot in the door..it will take awhile...keep trying...and good luck

trickpony1

I'm guessing this is a troll.
Anyone who has worked for this company for 6 years knows PC drivers never get just 40 hours.

kem9

Not a troll.

Let me rephrase. I just want 40+ hours without fear of only getting 25 preload+ sat (4-6) hours which is my bare minimum and without working 6 days. I'm well aware of long driver hours. I'm wondering if I should deal with the bumping and never knowing how much I will make or go for Ft PC and have no life during the week but a more consistent income.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Not a troll.

Let me rephrase. I just want 40+ hours without fear of only getting 25 preload+ sat (4-6) hours which is my bare minimum and without working 6 days. I'm well aware of long driver hours. I'm wondering if I should deal with the bumping and never knowing how much I will make or go for Ft PC and have no life during the week but a more consistent income.

You can still have a life during the week while being a driver. Despite what you read on here, there are more drivers working 9 hours every day then there are working 12.

kem9

I had another question. If I got the bid and qualified, would I be under the old contract or new? I'm wondering if I would have 3 or 4 years for progression. Thanks!

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Work as much as you can when your young son. Save for a house and stash as much as you can in the 401k. Work a lot when your young so you don't have to when your older.

Buck Fifty

I had another question. If I got the bid and qualified, would I be under the old contract or new? I'm wondering if I would have 3 or 4 years for progression. Thanks!

The new one , once it ratifies. 4 yr progression. I believe you said you have cover driven,so if you have 30 days in your golden. You make 80% until progression catches up. Ultimately you will get a 5 dollar raise at the end. Not to shabby. And if im not mistaken, everytime you ran ground with that air, it would count as a qualified day.