Should I take it

Whocares123

Ok so new here and was curious about a few things. I recently got an opportunity to join express just waiting for my background check. My mvr has 3 citations but only one (speeding ticket) has points which is two. Will I pass the mvr check? Also, is fed ex a good move? A lot of research on here and some of u can't stand fed ex and that was from posts like 3 years ago, and ur still with them? Thanks for helping the new guy.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I think it all depends on the number of points.

You really might want to reconsider working at FedEx and go to UPS instead. A career at UPS is a much better future pay wise, insurance and pension. If you're only looking for a short term temporary job, or a part time job FedEx isn't too bad. Long term, UPS.

Whocares123

So is fed ex express not a good place to work? I jumped at the opportunity cuz I thought it was finally a good company to work for and stable. I've worked for some of the biggest, coke, Cintas, verizon wireless. Coke was by far the worst they were union and it blew they crapped on me everyday. I need to settle down at a job and make it a career I'm currently enrolling back in school to finish my degree so I could go any route I want within the company. Just really disheartening to hear all these complaints can't tell if it's just ppl who are trying to get everything handed to them or if it's a real problem.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
So is fed ex express not a good place to work? I jumped at the opportunity cuz I thought it was finally a good company to work for and stable. I've worked for some of the biggest, coke, Cintas, verizon wireless. Coke was by far the worst they were union and it blew they crapped on me everyday. I need to settle down at a job and make it a career I'm currently enrolling back in school to finish my degree so I could go any route I want within the company. Just really disheartening to hear all these complaints can't tell if it's just ppl who are trying to get everything handed to them or if it's a real problem.

Sent using BrownCafe App

No, it's a real problem. I've been at Express over 20 years. The pay is stagnant. Ask any Express driver who has been at FedEx for 5 years how much they make. Starting out, you will probably make more than them. Insurance is being cut back every year. The pension is a joke. Fortunately, I'm under the old pension. You, however, will be under the new one. If I retired right now, with the new one I would get a little over $100 a month. Don't take the job expecting to make it a career. You will come to a sad realization pretty quickly. It USED to be a great company to work for, with great benefits, no more.

dezguy

Sent using BrownCafe App

Talk with migrantworker. He came to this board, telling us all how good a company FedEx is. A few months later his attitude has pulled a 180. I don't think he's even been with Express more than 6 months.

Whocares123

Well I've never been worried about pensions cause they've really never been available to my generation anyways. Most companies don't even offer it. And I've never counted on an employer for my retirement. Unless ur high up, you better invest your money any way u can or your going to be saying hello to customers as they walk into Walmart. And you can thank Obama for the decline in everybody's insurance, Obamacare has made it impossible for companies to keep ins cheap for their employees, cuz we have to take care of the ppl who are to lazy to go to work. But thanks for the input, I just care about weather it's stable or not, u have to rely on ur self for the rest.

Sent using BrownCafe App

MAKAVELI

The problem with FedEx is their sole focus is on the stock price. They no longer care about service and its people, which made this a great company years ago. Those times are long gone. You will be crapped on at FedEx as well but with no union wages and benefits. Honestly you would've been better off staying at Coke. If you are looking for wage progression, pension, and good health insurance, you are at the wrong place.

Whocares123

Not looking for any of that, and I rather pick up dog :censored2: for minimum wage than work for coke again. Low guys spent two hours sometimes lookin for a tractor, hand trucks, cool lifts, it was truly embarrassing. And I'm on my wife's ins since she works at a hospital in the city. I've learned one lesson working for major companies in the past, and that's, there all the same when it comes to this kinda thing. Everybody is a number wherever u go anymore, everybody is replaceable. U can thank the economic collapse for that, nobody could find jobs so they knew they could railroad u in pay because u needed a job. I got paid 12 dollars an hr at Cintas and it was disgusting, picking up dirty towels covered in maggots and changing out toilet paper. I'm learning it is what it is and you have to make the best out of any situation there is.

Sent using BrownCafe App

MAKAVELI

Not looking for any of that, and I rather pick up dog :censored2: for minimum wage than work for coke again. Low guys spent two hours sometimes lookin for a tractor, hand trucks, cool lifts, it was truly embarrassing. And I'm on my wife's ins since she works at a hospital in the city. I've learned one lesson working for major companies in the past, and that's, there all the same when it comes to this kinda thing. Everybody is a number wherever u go anymore, everybody is replaceable. U can thank the economic collapse for that, nobody could find jobs so they knew they could railroad u in pay because u needed a job. I got paid 12 dollars an hr at Cintas and it was disgusting, picking up dirty towels covered in maggots and changing out toilet paper. I'm learning it is what it is and you have to make the best out of any situation there is.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Well if all you're looking for is a check, then have at it.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Low guys spent two hours sometimes lookin for a tractor, hand trucks, cool lifts, it was truly embarrassing.

Sent using BrownCafe App

I hate to tell you, but if you're hired on the PM side you will basically be doing the same thing every day. Sitting around waiting for a truck to come back off the road, trying to grab it before someone else. Looking for baskets and a handtruck. If you have a route in the morning you will probably be okay.

Whocares123

3 years..really it was awful. The only thing the union did was protect the poop bags from losing their job. I'd have a tenure guy come in look at his route realize he had 20 stops and 700 cases and take him 13 hrs to do he would make a low tenured guy take it and he'd take something easier...I never knew what I was doing everyday I walked in. Could be servicing pop machines could be merchandising local grocery chains could be delivering to local grocery chains or could be delivering to the gas stations. Or could be a helper. I had 2 weeks vacation but had to take both weeks in feb..there were guys there 10 years just starting to get vacations in may. Bad union experience, I'm glad fed ex isn't union. It was god awful.

Sent using BrownCafe App

hypo hanna

If you are looking for some kind of career, you should look elsewhere. Your opportunities for progression are limited from the courier ranks. You can become an operations manager but the washout rate is high. (About 40% in the first two years in my district.) with a degree you can more easily get a position in engineering or sales but there are plenty of other companies that pay more with better benefits for those degrees.

MAKAVELI

3 years..really it was awful. The only thing the union did was protect the poop bags from losing their job. I'd have a tenure guy come in look at his route realize he had 20 stops and 700 cases and take him 13 hrs to do he would make a low tenured guy take it and he'd take something easier...I never knew what I was doing everyday I walked in. Could be servicing pop machines could be merchandising local grocery chains could be delivering to local grocery chains or could be delivering to the gas stations. Or could be a helper. I had 2 weeks vacation but had to take both weeks in feb..there were guys there 10 years just starting to get vacations in may. Bad union experience, I'm glad fed ex isn't union. It was god awful.

Sent using BrownCafe App
And you think it's going to be any better here? That's a good one.:D