Should we UPS drivers fear driverless technology?

1jzaupra

I was hired as a driver one year ago today.
My nephew has said to me he wants to be a driver when he is older. How much longer are our jobs safe due to driverless technology?

1jzaupra

Is this your nephew?
Nope was actually just saw that post after I posted this

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I was hired as a driver one year ago today.
My nephew has said to me he wants to be a driver when he is older. How much longer are our jobs safe due to driverless technology?

Forever. Driverless technology will never get past the driver assist stage. The only people who believe in this sort of thing are the same people who don't understand the physical limitations of transistor size. Let me put it to you this way, we were promised automated flying cars a long time ago. How's that coming along? Or personal jet packs?

1jzaupra

Forever. Driverless technology will never get past the driver assist stage. The only people who believe in this sort of thing are the same people who don't understand the physical limitations of transistor size. Let me put it to you this way, we were promised automated flying cars a long time ago. How's that coming along? Or personal jet packs?
I don't know there's a lot of news about driverless truck companies that scare the :censored2: out of me

wilberforce15

Driverless is already safer than any circle of honor driver in most circumstances.

Growth in the technology is exponential. That is, it will improve at an ever increasing rate. There will be driverless robotaxis within a year or two. Widespread in 5.

Ups drivers are totally replaceable simply with helpers who mule the packages to the door. That will be many more than 5 years. But it'll happen.

And the full self driving will eventually be safe enough it may be illegal to drive as a person.

Brown Biscuit

Blind every day
Driverless is already safer than any circle of honor driver in most circumstances.

Growth in the technology is exponential. That is, it will improve at an ever increasing rate. There will be driverless robotaxis within a year or two. Widespread in 5.

Ups drivers are totally replaceable simply with helpers who mule the packages to the door. That will be many more than 5 years. But it'll happen.

And the full self driving will eventually be safe enough it may be illegal to drive as a person.
Lmao. Yawn

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Yea, handcart to 3rd floor driverless.

Indecisi0n

Half our building has been laid off because of automation. I'm only still employed because I'm the only one who knows how to work the trash compactor.

SandSpida

I think in the beginning the robots will do great work. But eventually they too will start drinking excessively and calling in sick on nice days. The bots will experience divorce like the rest of us from there significant others and will learn how to file a grievance. In the end the robots will sit down with management and tell them that this is the hardest job they’ve ever had and that includes being a crash test dummy.