Should we UPS drivers fear driverless technology?

1jzaupra

Liability? I'm afraid you don't know how liability works. UPS often doesn't even have to pay for the accident, when they blame the driver. Blaming the driver is an internal company matter. They do that even when the other insurance company paid.

I literally said that edge cases were still being worked on. Tesla has trillions of hours of video and is building the best artificial intelligence engine that will come online this year to help translate the hard cases into better automation. Stuff can be solved. A supercomputer called Dojo will solve it.

This is still a bunch of horses laughing at the Model T saying, "Look how much it breaks down! That will never replace us! It can't even go up a hill!"

As for the extremely silly objection by somebody about trash trucks, the technology to do this "in the wild" or in a geofenced area is literally being rolled out professionally just now. It's a profoundly stupid objection to say something hasn't happened yet. It just started. But the pace is beyond what you can fathom. Breakthroughs make a snowball tumble very fast.

There will be driverless, electric robotaxis operating in every major city within a few years, and charging less than it costs you to own a car. Mark it.
I don't know how the government will react to this. If millions are left without jobs that is probably billions of dollars of revenue that's gone

wilberforce15

I don't know how the government will react to this. If millions are left without jobs that is probably billions of dollars of revenue that's gone
This outcome is why do many are behind the basic income proposals. I'm not taking a side, but we have to know what we're going to do. The pace of change will be greater and bigger than the industrial revolution. 25 years form now, it won't be recognizable.

MethodsMan

In his defense he said it isn’t A LOT of money. It’s not.

Could you raise a family of 4 on 100k a year job that has benefits provided? Sure. But it’s unlikely you’re gonna save much for retirement outside of a pension or save for the kids college or Have expensive hobbies or fund a child’s expensive hobby.

Some people still act like a 6 figure job is a be all end all like this is the 80’s or something.

Is it good money? Yes. Is it a lot of money? No. At least not most places.

In missouri you’re balling off 100k

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
This outcome is why do many are behind the basic income proposals. I'm not taking a side, but we have to know what we're going to do. The pace of change will be greater and bigger than the industrial revolution. 25 years form now, it won't be recognizable.

All we'll need is personal power generation, and matter manipulators akin to replicators on star trek. Then economies will be obsolete.

BrownSnowFlake

Almost all of the gasoline sold in my state has 10 to 15% ethanol and we are striving to be self sufficient in electricity with wind turbines. Renewable energy is the wave of the future and the present.
Nuclear is the wave of the future unless you’re okay with the lights going out anytime the wind stops blowing

wilberforce15

Nuclear is the wave of the future unless you’re okay with the lights going out anytime the wind stops blowing
That's what terawatts of battery packs are for.

Did you really think people haven't addressed this?

Attachments

• 20.07-07-Megapack-Hero-2880x1800.jpg
    20.07-07-Megapack-Hero-2880x1800.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 80

quad decade guy

Ive told you guys any time you want to jump seat let me know. You will wear a seatbelt and mask though.
You have the authority to grant this? In our(UPS) planes? I am in. I'll even travel on my own dime for this treat. I get lot's of vacation time. Should be able to work out a time. Wow a first officer that can give rides......can't wait to see this.

quad decade guy

Liability? I'm afraid you don't know how liability works. UPS often doesn't even have to pay for the accident, when they blame the driver. Blaming the driver is an internal company matter. They do that even when the other insurance company paid.

I literally said that edge cases were still being worked on. Tesla has trillions of hours of video and is building the best artificial intelligence engine that will come online this year to help translate the hard cases into better automation. Stuff can be solved. A supercomputer called Dojo will solve it.

This is still a bunch of horses laughing at the Model T saying, "Look how much it breaks down! That will never replace us! It can't even go up a hill!"

As for the extremely silly objection by somebody about trash trucks, the technology to do this "in the wild" or in a geofenced area is literally being rolled out professionally just now. It's a profoundly stupid objection to say something hasn't happened yet. It just started. But the pace is beyond what you can fathom. Breakthroughs make a snowball tumble very fast.

There will be driverless, electric robotaxis operating in every major city within a few years, and charging less than it costs you to own a car. Mark it.
Trillions? Really?