Should you lose your seniority?

In local 177, you can not bid out side of your classification. So in order to work out side of your classification you have to transfer to the classification you wish to work in. When doing so you lose your center seniority(for bidding on jobs). Do you think that is right?

upschuck

In local 177, you can not bid out side of your classification. So in order to work out side of your classification you have to transfer to the classification you wish to work in. When doing so you lose your center seniority(for bidding on jobs). Do you think that is right?
No, but I work in a center where that does not happen, and that that is the right way.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes. It would be treated like a transfer.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
We have PT and FT seniority in our area. Don't know why it's that way in 177, but it sounds like the intent is to keep full timers within their original classification.

FT seniority always trumps PT seniority for bidding, etc. in our area except for displacement in a layoff situation. A FT'er with less "company seniority" cannot bump a PT'er from their job in a layoff situation.

In my opinion, we should just have one seniority date.. but I'm not going to hold my breath.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
We have PT and FT seniority in our area. Don't know why it's that way in 177, but it sounds like the intent is to keep full timers within their original classification.

FT seniority always trumps PT seniority for bidding, etc. in our area except for displacement in a layoff situation. A FT'er with less "company seniority" cannot bump a PT'er from their job in a layoff situation.

In my opinion, we should just have one seniority date.. but I'm not going to hold my breath.
I think it should be that way as well. Your original hire date. But it isn't

onestoptogo

That would really hurt the outside full-time driver hire as the part-time inside hires advance to full-time and surpass them in seniority. I would have loved this when I finally got called up.

Ft to Ft and package center to package center you lose center seniority. When you bid on a job, you are married to it, Unless you vacate it. In feeders, jobs go up once a year.