Shush ! Don't Tell Them I Work At UPS !

P

pickup

Okay orangputeh, what trouble did you get yourself into now? I think he might be referring to the fact that people think ups drivers are millionaires and that consequently, the price list might be higher for ups drivers.

chev

Nightcrawler
Okay orangputeh, what trouble did you get yourself into now? I think he might be referring to the fact that people think ups drivers are millionaires and that consequently, the price list might be higher for ups drivers.
:dissapointed: Hmmm, I usually get a little discount when I mention working for UPS. :wink2:
I never expect it or assume, but it's nice when it happens.

Box_Junkie

Around my neck of the woods, most people don't have a clue what we make. Most act surprised...very surprised when they find out the truth. People have told me they thought it was like $15.00/hr. at the most. I just say HA! I wouldn't show up to do this job for that kinda change!

Then the other kinda people I talk to think I make too much for what I do and have a chip on their shoulder about it. I have noticed auto repair shops trying to pull a fast one on me before. I'm glad I can do most things myself...

wrecker

So much discount and free loot being in package. Deals on everything. Even got my furnace filters for free. I loved that part.

P

pickup

When I go get car worked on, there will not be anything inside with a ups logo . I will give the impression that they are dealing with a truck driver, but thats it.!

over9five

Staff member
I have noticed auto repair shops trying to pull a fast one on me before. I'm glad I can do most things myself...

Me too. I can't stand to take my car to a garage, I think they're all rip-offs.
Funny I just had to the other day. I've always thought to myself, "I'll know I'm old the day I can't do my own oil change". Well guess what? It wasn't because I'm too old, but my first oil change on my new car I couldn't get the filter off. The factory must have put 3000 lbs of tourque on it! Even with a filter wrench, the filter started to crush before turning! Had to take it to the dealer.

I will give the impression that they are dealing with a truck driver, but thats it.!

I use that a lot. "I'm just a truck driver".

Even with a filter wrench, the filter started to crush before turning! Had to take it to the dealer.
And the dealer got it off by driving a large screwdriver threw it and turning it that way.
I always take mine to the "Quick Change" it takes all of 10 minutes and I don't have to look for a place to dispose of the used oil and filter. Plus, they always give me coffee or a coke while I wait that 10 minutes. The cost is maybe a buck higher than buying my own oil and filer for DIY.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Me too. I can't stand to take my car to a garage, I think they're all rip-offs.
Funny I just had to the other day. I've always thought to myself, "I'll know I'm old the day I can't do my own oil change". Well guess what? It wasn't because I'm too old, but my first oil change on my new car I couldn't get the filter off. The factory must have put 3000 lbs of tourque on it! Even with a filter wrench, the filter started to crush before turning! Had to take it to the dealer.

I use that a lot. "I'm just a truck driver".

I had this same problem, it must be a Ford thing. I bought my wife a new Escape last year. The oil filter was screwed on too tight at the factory. I had the special oil filter socket for it and everything. I destroyed it taking it off, I finally got it off with a strap wrench. I almost had it towed to the dealer after I busted holes in it before I finally got it loose.

I have a low opinion of auto repair shops too. My best High School friend's father owned a foriegn repair shop. Garages go out of their way to rip people off. I had to build my first car, I pulled the four cylinder engine out of a '72 Vega GT and put a 350 Smallblock in it. I learned to work on cars then, I even rebuilt the engine in the '69 Vett I used to own. Now I just mainly do routine stuff like brakes and oil changes. The few times I take one of our vehicles in somewhere, I will mention that I drive a truck and throw a few mechanic terms around. Most shops will take advantage of customers that are clueless about what is going on with their car.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I also use the quick lube (Jiffy Lube) for my oil changes but for different reasons. I live in a condo complex which frowns upon oil changes in the parking lot but, truth be told, I wouldn't do it anyway. I use my AAA discount and it's about $30 for a oil and filter change and, as Trp said, it is just so convenient. The only problem is they are always trying to sell you something beyond the oil change. I have also heard horror stories about how they sometimes will forget to put the oil pan plug back in and having to buy someone a new engine. What I do like is you can go in there anytime between oil changes for free topoffs, window wash and vacuum. We use a lot of washer fluid up here so that is convenient as they are right on the way to work.

We have several feeders who go over 100K each year. (Dollars, not calories)

A

anonymous6

The guys at the dock at the Costco I deliver to think we make 100k a year.

You don't ?? we have a lot of drivers over 100k.

Everyone knows who I work for around this community so I have had some bad experiences with auto repair people, contractors etc.

What I do know is have someone like my son in law get a quote and then i will get a quote and the difference is amazing.

I'm very surprized that other UPSers have not had similar experiences.

Around the Reno area we drivers got a lot of flack during the strike when the company let it be know that the average driver made 55k.

Granted that was over 10 years ago. If I made just 55k now, I'd be out on the street.

Here too, UPS made sure the public knew what we were making. On the other hand the union made sure the media knew what UPS's profit was.
So I reckon all is fair in love and war....and labor disputes.