Sick day harassment

BigBrown609

This morning I called out and told them I was using a sick day. First, my sup said "why? You don't sound sick. I don't have any extras, I need you." I decided to be up front with him and let him know my son was sick and needed to be taken to the doctor and I had no one else. He said "so your job comes second? Third? Fourth?" I said "to my kids, yes it does." He said ok, fine, see ya. I'm afraid he's gonna send me home everyday now as an extra. I have my seniority as a ft driver but not enough to have my own route. Are there any actions I can take?

Sent using BrownCafe App

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
This morning I called out and told them I was using a sick day. First, my sup said "why? You don't sound sick. I don't have any extras, I need you." I decided to be up front with him and let him know my son was sick and needed to be taken to the doctor and I had no one else. He said "so your job comes second? Third? Fourth?" I said "to my kids, yes it does." He said ok, fine, see ya. I'm afraid he's gonna send me home everyday now as an extra. I have my seniority as a ft driver but not enough to have my own route. Are there any actions I can take?

Sent using BrownCafe App
They really need you on the day you call in but now you are afraid they will send you home every day because they don't need you?

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
You're a seniority driver. They can't send you home unless you let them.
1) Don't answer phone calls or texts before start time.
2) On days they call to offer you the day if you do mistakenly answer the phone, say no thanks and eventually they'll learn you don't take dead days and will stop offering them.
2) If you report to work and they say they don't have a route for you, respectfully tell them you can't afford to take a day off and ask where the brooms are and they'll find/make a route for you pretty quickly. If they persist and tell you they have to send you home, remind them you are not a casual and guaranteed 8 hours.
3) If they try to tell you that you are laid off for the day, your contract most likely requires a 24 hour notice for a layoff (check your contract) and let them know that it will be cheaper to pay you straight time to work rather than pay the grievance pay and not get any work out of you.

You have rights and when they know you'll insist on getting your 40 hours, they'll eventually respect that. If you do it respectfully without being a dick, they'll stop trying to send you home and you won't paint a target on your back.

oldngray

nowhere special
They can send him home if he is extra an listed as on call for the week. They can't send him home if a lower seniority person is working though.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
They can send him home if he is extra an listed as on call for the week. They can't send him home if a lower seniority person is working though.
He's not a TCD, he's a seniority permanent cover guy. Unless your supplement is different, here they're guaranteed unless on a layoff.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?

Sent using BrownCafe App

If they send you home act like they are doing you a favor. They really hate that.

BigBrown609

You're a seniority driver. They can't send you home unless you let them.
1) Don't answer phone calls or texts before start time.
2) On days they call to offer you the day if you do mistakenly answer the phone, say no thanks and eventually they'll learn you don't take dead days and will stop offering them.
2) If you report to work and they say they don't have a route for you, respectfully tell them you can't afford to take a day off and ask where the brooms are and they'll find/make a route for you pretty quickly. If they persist and tell you they have to send you home, remind them you are not a casual and guaranteed 8 hours.
3) If they try to tell you that you are laid off for the day, your contract most likely requires a 24 hour notice for a layoff (check your contract) and let them know that it will be cheaper to pay you straight time to work rather than pay the grievance pay and not get any work out of you.

You have rights and when they know you'll insist on getting your 40 hours, they'll eventually respect that. If you do it respectfully without being a dick, they'll stop trying to send you home and you won't paint a target on your back.
If they wanted to change me to a casual driver so they would be able to send me home, would they be able to do that?

Sent using BrownCafe App

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
If they wanted to change me to a casual driver so they would be able to send me home, would they be able to do that?

Not a chance. Casual driver's (Here we call them reg. temps) work Jun 1 to December 31, and then get kicked back inside.

You are a full time cover driver (you work year round but have no dedicated route).

I've learned to be honest when calling out, that way you won't potentially slip up later. If your child is sick, then that's what you tell them. Don't lie and say I'm sick and then when pushed you say, ok, my son is sick. Then they will look at you as a liar.

Just be honest, it's that simple.

PT Car Washer

Not a chance. Casual driver's (Here we call them reg. temps) work Jun 1 to December 31, and then get kicked back inside.

You are a full time cover driver (you work year round but have no dedicated route).

I've learned to be honest when calling out, that way you won't potentially slip up later. If your child is sick, then that's what you tell them. Don't lie and say I'm sick and then when pushed you say, ok, my son is sick. Then they will look at you as a liar.

Just be honest, it's that simple.
Very good advice. What kind of person would not let you have the time off to take care of a sick child. Most people I know would go to work sick but would stay home with a child. They will get over it real fast and be on to someone else. You did the right thing.

Rico

Very good advice. What kind of person would not let you have the time off to take care of a sick child. Most people I know would go to work sick but would stay home with a child. They will get over it real fast and be on to someone else. You did the right thing.

They same kind of people who tell you your wife is in the ER by leaving a note on the time clock.