Sick Day Saga

Hey hey.

So yesterday, a few hours prior to shift, I had let one of the higher-ranked supes (if that matters) know I needed to take a sick day. I've been with the company for a few years and have several of them entitled to me at this point. I gave a brief review of my maladies, too, when inquired, and that seemed to be that. Later, come work time, I'm getting texts, calls and messages from some of the supes from my area demanding my whereabouts. They get the same notice the first supe got, and then themselves start citing the words of some other supe names claiming I must appear. Same description of my maladies ensues, and (having discovered this just today) it receives a reply invoking the names of other supes demanding that I haul my sickly ass to the slave mines.

Is there anything I need to know about all this, much less be concerned about? Should I look into filing a harassment grievance? Any reason I shouldn't call in sick today, too?

542thruNthru

What supplemental agreement are you under?

Management should not be harassing you after you called in sick. So yes you should be able to file a article 37 harrasment grievance.

542thruNthru

Local 804.

Just ignore em' then? Alright then, sounds good. Then I should be good to use today as a sick day, too?
I'm assuming you are FT. I don't see anything about a time frame of when you have to notify them in your supplemental. So sure go ahead and call out again.

After you've calling in sick and told a sup (who's name I would get) then yes I would not pick up the phone.

I'm assuming you are FT. I don't see anything about a time frame of when you have to notify them in your supplemental. So sure go ahead and call out again.

After you've calling in sick and told a sup (who's name I would get) then yes I would not pick up the phone.
"FT", i.e. "Full-time"? That I'm not: Part-time loader.

Yeah, I know the supe I originally notified well - for years, in fact, and we get along just fine. I know all of the ones who did the harrassing, too, as well as those whose names they invoked. They I at least thought I got along with O.K.

Alright, I'll do just that, then. Thanks for the help, mate. By God, it's just really hard to believe the kind of bull:censored2: they'll double-down on. It's one thing to bull:censored2:, but it's another to do such obvious bull:censored2:ting.

Seymour Packages

Local 804.

Just ignore em' then? Alright then, sounds good. Then I should be good to use today as a sick day, too?
804 is the best local in the country. I don't know what building you are in (irrelevant) but 99% of the shop stewards and BAs in 804 would be happy to help you write an Article 37 harrassment grievance. Your only obligation is to notify the company of you being sick. That is where it stops. Do not call or text supervisors. Ever. Much less off the clock.

542thruNthru

804 is the best local in the country. I don't know what building you are in (irrelevant) but 99% of the shop stewards and BAs in 804 would be happy to help you write an Article 37 harrassment grievance. Your only obligation is to notify the company of you being sick. That is where it stops. Do not call or text supervisors. Ever. Much less off the clock.
@Box Ox would disagree with you here. ;)

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
But you realize I'm next to the border right? ;)
RUN!
tumblr_mnunxdPgkB1rhvt4io1_500.gif

I’d take the rest of the week
Show’em how the 804 does it
Ha! Afraid I don't have that many to spare. But with the utter lack of coordination these people have, they could probably never tell the difference.
804 is the best local in the country. I don't know what building you are in (irrelevant) but 99% of the shop stewards and BAs in 804 would be happy to help you write an Article 37 harrassment grievance. Your only obligation is yo notify the company of you being sick. That is where it stops. Do not call or text supervisors. Ever. Much less off the clock.
Yeah, something I should have started doing a long time ago. And I can vouch for 804, too, in my experience. Our steward is a pro at staying on top of things, bull:censored2: and otherwise.
Did he say “ maladies “?
Who, me? No, but I used a similar $10.00 word they quite possibly had never heard of. Maybe that's why things went the way they did!

Box Ox

@Box Ox would disagree with you here. ;)
Yep. While New Yawwwwwwwk locals are probably much better than the :censored2: locals we've got down south, they likely don't have the weather, the perks or the pension 542 does. And most of the management in California are probably laid-back surfer dudes so they're not pumping out many Article 37 violations in the first place.

Got a new wrinkle to this, folks: I just notified the same supe that I am calling out sick today, and have been told they need a Dr's note and negative COVID test before coming back to work. They can legally require this of me, or am I under no obligation to produce those things?

over9five

Staff member
Got a new wrinkle to this, folks: I just notified the same supe that I am calling out sick today, and have been told they need a Dr's note and negative COVID test before coming back to work. They can legally require this of me, or am I under no obligation to produce those things?
Ask them to show you where it says that in the contract.