Sick Days

I got a buddy who told me that he tried calling out the other day but management (FT sup/manager) said that he could NOT use his sick day because they wouldn't have an extra body to fill his position. I think the issue could be that he's called out too many times or something... We didn't get into depth.

What should he do about the situation?

I don't think management can overpower your sick day usage and force you to come in.

PT Car Washer

I got a buddy who told me that he tried calling out the other day but management (FT sup/manager) said that he could NOT use his sick day because they wouldn't have an extra body to fill his position. I think the issue could be that he's called out too many times or something... We didn't get into depth.

I don't think management can overpower your sick day usage and force you to come in.
If you are sick management can not force you to come into work. In fact me personally would appreciate it if you do not come in and make everyone else sick. Was he really sick or just wanted a paid day off? In my building we do not have paid sick days.

J

jibbs

In my building we do not have paid sick days.

Whoa.... :censored2:ty.

In mine, I've got 20hrs (five PT shifts) option pay and 20hrs (five PT shifts) sick pay.

I still haven't figured out the difference between the two but they both get paid out at the end of the year if left unused, so I don't care too much. I used to think they were different names for the same benefit until I noticed sick pay get 4 hours deducted from it the first time I used it, while my OPT pay (or available hours, w/e) stayed at 20.0hrs.

@#24

If it were me, and I were really sick and had no intentions of going in, I would call in sick to every supervisor that I've got a number for. Back that :censored2: up. Tell each of them I'm calling in sick and that I had already unsuccessfully tried to communicate that to the "FT sup/manager."

If they tell me I can't call in sick, I call in sick and then threaten filing a grievance when I come in the next day until they calm me down and tell me to get to work.

Hasn't failed me yet.... but I don't really call out often, and they've only talked me out of one of my attempted call-ins (that I can remember.) Pretty sure they just knew it was my birthday with that one, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are sick management can not force you to come into work. In fact me personally would appreciate it if you do not come in and make everyone else sick. Was he really sick or just wanted a paid day off? In my building we do not have paid sick days.
Figured. & No paid sick days? That's a first, wow.

UPSGUY72

All you have to do is call in and tell them your booking off. You don't need to explain yourself if they ask question tell them your booking off I won't be in again and hang up. It's none of there business why your booking off unless your out for more than 3 days in a row.

Also it's not your problem they don't have enough people to cover the routes it's there problem so don't let them try to make it yours..

J

jibbs

All you have to do is call in and tell them your booking off. You don't need to explain yourself if they ask question tell them your booking off I won't be in again and hang up. It's none of there business why your booking off unless your out for more than 3 days in a row.

Also it's not your problem they don't have enough people to cover the routes it's there problem so don't let them try to make it yours..

Yeah.... I'm one of those guys that'll just keep explaining until someone smacks me on the back of the head when I think I'm in the wrong (like, trying to call out for what might sound like a minor issue to another person, for example.)

Guilty conscience, I guess.... Also makes calling in sick super awkward for me, lol. The more descriptive I get now, the less questions I'll get in the future.... that's how I've started to look at it, at least.

You're 100% right, though.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Figured. & No paid sick days? That's a first, wow.

In the Central, we used to get 5 sick days. In an era long, long ago and a place far, far away, the 5 sick days were negotiated into an option week.

So in lieu of sick days, we got an extra week of vacation.

We also had, and still have, the ability to sell that week and take the money.

Some guys sell the week and then figure that they have 5 paid sick days with the money already in the bank.

And if you are hung over and decide to come to work, that is fine. If you are sick, don't come in and give me what you have.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I always chose "option 3" which gave me approximately a week of sick days taken as I desire. These were paid. Now once you use all the days allowed, management could, but not always, say something to you about attendance issues.